BRP Go

signfan

BRP just released their new app.  Figured I'd give it a try on the phone.  Nice setup, but no trail database for Ontario.  I'm guessing liability concerns???  They do have Manitoba, Quebec and every other states trail system that borders Ontario.  Is ride command a similar story on the Polaris?  Wondering if the ITG will run in the new gauge on the BRP sleds for the guys that bought them this year.

There is a big discussion on Dootalk about this. Lots of people complaining about Ontario not being included.Some hits but what i've read more misses. I think after one season alot of the bugs will be worked out. Anybody can go on Dootalk you do not need to join or log in .Click on forums and go to the "sledding general discussion" to see the thread.

Edited by snowchopper

4 hours ago, Jason T said:

PWING where are you thread is entertaining.B)

Now you know why i did not get the new gauge on my '21 Doo. May try it next season, that's if the no sledding because of covid does not drive me away from the sport first....

I doo like the new heated spot for your cell phone. 

Edited by Turbo Doo

19 hours ago, signfan said:

BRP just released their new app.  Figured I'd give it a try on the phone.  Nice setup, but no trail database for Ontario.  I'm guessing liability concerns???  They do have Manitoba, Quebec and every other states trail system that borders Ontario.  Is ride command a similar story on the Polaris?  Wondering if the ITG will run in the new gauge on the BRP sleds for the guys that bought them this year.

is it possibly because the OFSC app is not running yet so the BRP app doesn't have the data to pull from?

brian

2 minutes ago, Candubrain said:

is it possibly because the OFSC app is not running yet so the BRP app doesn't have the data to pull from?

brian

More like a special agreement between OFSC and TrakMaps. 

• Like 2

Hi everyone, 

Just read this via the OFSC email update: https://www.ofsc.on.ca/2020/11/20/ofsc-safeguards-trail-data/

I would love to know how the people managing the OFSC think it’s ok to block and monopolize this data. 

9 hours ago, lakejoe said:

Hi everyone, 

Just read this via the OFSC email update: https://www.ofsc.on.ca/2020/11/20/ofsc-safeguards-trail-data/

I would love to know how the people managing the OFSC think it’s ok to block and monopolize this data. 

proprietary information, you gotta pay, to play. maybe that will help the ofsc for funding more groomers, or trail updates. they are a non profit, the money from polaris ride command, and brp go, could be helpful for our trails. Ski  

• Like 2

In this case, I dont blame the OFSC.    They paid to map the trails and develop their own app.    I am sure that TrakMaps paid for the data as well.   The OFSC should be compensated for their work.   

• Like 2

No,  I think it's about money.  My Garmin 68 with Trakmaps sure as hell does not update real time to show me the dynamic availability of the trails.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, lakejoe said:

Hi everyone, 

What I read seems to say the problem lies with real time trail condition reporting rather than just here's the route of the trail. The OFSC ITG shows trails as red, yellow and green regarding their condition. It seems there is a concern that the BRP system would have a snapshot of trials showing conditions as of a specific point in time and not updated in real time. Envision someone relying on their BRP integrated system to ride with trail data that's 2 weeks or more out of date. They are perhaps now riding on a closed trail due to safety issues and they get seriously hurt or killed. They then sue because the danger was not identified on their sled trail guide. Unfortunately legal concerns are a reality. Everyone likes to blame someone else for their problems.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Ridiculous. 

This is as weak as taking down the ITG.

Did the paper maps all self-destruct?

From a secrecy standpoint, it's like watching Get Smart.

If anyone actually cared about trail abuse and trespassing, they'd step up enforcement, not pretend the trails vanish.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, manotickmike said:

Ridiculous. 

This is as weak as taking down the ITG.

Did the paper maps all self-destruct?

From a secrecy standpoint, it's like watching Get Smart.

If anyone actually cared about trail abuse and trespassing, they'd step up enforcement, not pretend the trails vanish.

I disagree with your viewpoint on this issue. In our area we have a lot of winter crops planted. We try but cannot keep people from riding on them when they shouldn't be. If the trail status is not live on BRP and Polaris screens it is going to provide another excuse to those who ride closed trails and we will more than likely end up loosing more landowner permissions.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

I disagree with your viewpoint on this issue. In our area we have a lot of winter crops planted. We try but cannot keep people from riding on them when they shouldn't be. If the trail status is not live on BRP and Polaris screens it is going to provide another excuse to those who ride closed trails and we will more than likely end up loosing more landowner permissions.

Agreed... we lost a significant pieced of C trail heading south from Port Severn... alternative... lots of road rash. Why... because ATV riders couldn't stay off the closed SNOWMOBILE trail. Too many assume if there's a snowmobile trail it automatically is an ATV trail as well. I know ATV riders that use the snowmobile trail maps to look for places to ride.

With ride  Polaris ride command or brp go, is it possible to use smart phone to display ofsc app, on guage cluster as you ride? I know permission hasn’t been given just wondering if app would still work if rider bought it and has it on his or her phone and plugged into sled? 
This technology is exciting and I bet ofsc can use it in future to verify if sleds have trail permits while out riding too. Give each sled an unique number and colour green when on ontario permit is purchased. No permit then sled icon is red and you know where to send opp or police to catch free loaders or riders that choose to ride closed trails. I am sure riders wouldn’t trespass if they know they could be traced and fined after words. Great opportunity for ofsc and sled manufacturers and opp to work together and solve some of the issues that plague us. 

Edited by Strong Farmer
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Strong Farmer said:

With ride  Polaris ride command or brp go, is it possible to use smart phone to display ofsc app, on guage cluster as you ride? I know permission hasn’t been given just wondering if app would still work if rider bought it and has it on his or her phone and plugged into sled? 
This technology is exciting and I bet ofsc can use it in future to verify if sleds have trail permits while out riding too. Give each sled an unique number and colour green when on ontario permit is purchased. No permit then sled icon is red and you know where to send opp or police to catch free loaders or riders that choose to ride closed trails. I am sure riders wouldn’t trespass if they know they could be traced and fined after words. Great opportunity for ofsc and sled manufacturers and opp to work together and solve some of the issues that plague us. 

WAZE traffic app can show other users so as long as cell service is good it should be possible.  

I respectfully disagree with "hiding" trails. I'd be all for it if it worked.

In the opinion of my local club presidents, it accomplishes nothing. 

What's required is enforcement, which for some reason, the government will not provide, or allow the clubs to have any enforcement tools.

Every trail I drive by in my area that isn't through a corn field is a mucky rutted mess. Boulders and barriers are winched away. 

I'd like to see the stats of actual arrests and convictions for trespassing. 

• Like 2

It's the Toyota Tacomas, narrow trucks, chewing up trails here. Six Mile Lake.

Brutal. They have tow straps affixed to trees, in case they're stuck.  ATV winch cinches into the tree harness to get them out of the morass they create at bottom of the hill. Not an organized ATV trail or club. Just dic*heads ( copyright, STG, Rodney ) playing in the mud. Destroying snowmobile trails. 

9k=.jpg

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, manotickmike said:

I respectfully disagree with "hiding" trails. I'd be all for it if it worked.

In the opinion of my local club presidents, it accomplishes nothing. 

What's required is enforcement, which for some reason, the government will not provide, or allow the clubs to have any enforcement tools.

Every trail I drive by in my area that isn't through a corn field is a mucky rutted mess. Boulders and barriers are winched away. 

I'd like to see the stats of actual arrests and convictions for trespassing. 

Well said..

21 hours ago, Canuck said:

It's the Toyota Tacomas, narrow trucks, chewing up trails here. Six Mile Lake.

Brutal. They have tow straps affixed to trees, in case they're stuck.  ATV winch cinches into the tree harness to get them out of the morass they create at bottom of the hill. Not an organized ATV trail or club. Just dic*heads ( copyright, STG, Rodney ) playing in the mud. Destroying snowmobile trails. 

9k=.jpg

The ATV club is purposely keeping their trails narrow enough to keep out the jeeps and pickups. The ATV's that are 3 seats across are either too wide to get through or just make it. That's why the mud fans like the snowmobile trails.. they tend to be wider to accommodate the groomer.

Edited by 02Sled