Crazy warm weather.

Strong Farmer

Ships LTL! :D

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

We'd have to fly in as I  don't believe wecan drive across the border to buy a sled.

There are those that would argue that it is an essential visit...;) Read somewhere of people chartering a helicopter to fly to Buffalo and airlining it from there. Car shipped in transport truck. Brought back memories of getting south from the NWT before the bridge over the MacKenzie River at Ft. Providence was built. Ice wasn't out yet and cost $300 (1990's dollars)  to get car lifted over by helicopter -well worth every cent. 

Actually - now that you say that, it seems like the last time that I shipped LTL to Toronto - it too got lost on the dock - but in Toronto I think...

It arrived a day late. Two on the outside.

So - we still have time to git them up to y'all.

2 hours ago, slomo said:

There are those that would argue that it is an essential visit...;) Read somewhere of people chartering a helicopter to fly to Buffalo and airlining it from there. Car shipped in transport truck. Brought back memories of getting south from the NWT before the bridge over the MacKenzie River at Ft. Providence was built. Ice wasn't out yet and cost $300 (1990's dollars)  to get car lifted over by helicopter -well worth every cent. 

Ice wasn't "out"yet?

Sounds bassakwards to me.

How doo you mean?

I would think that you could drive accrost while the ice was in?

And not git accrost 'till next season?

Shirley you can't ford that river even in the middle of summer - can you?

45 minutes ago, Ox said:

Ice wasn't "out"yet?

Sounds bassakwards to me.

How doo you mean?

I would think that you could drive accrost while the ice was in?

And not git accrost 'till next season?

Shirley you can't ford that river even in the middle of summer - can you?

Probably a ferry.  They tend to not like ice.  Freeze up and Break up are equally challenging in the far north.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bucking Pig said:

Probably a ferry.  They tend to not like ice.  Freeze up and Break up are equally challenging in the far north.  

Yep - for a few weeks in spring and fall, no travel unless the ferry could safely run. Apparently one went downstream one year with a load of vehicles and didn't get back for several weeks. In the winter, they would cut a trench in the ice for the ferry for as long as they could, while they flooded the stretch that would become the ice crossing. 

The ice road/ferry arrangement ended several year's ago with the Deh Cho Bridge:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deh_Cho_Bridge

Another ice road with which I was familiar was the stretch from Inuvik to Tuktoyuktuk. It is no longer available as an all season road was constructed, so was kind of lucky to get on it when I did.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inuvik–Tuktoyaktuk_Highway

Northwest Territories - Orientation - the red lines are winter roads either over land or on ice. Several ferry / ice road crossings still exist on the system.

nwtmap.jpg.cf0d5a86feb8c1192d3fb152721d526b.jpg

Looks like there are a couple of highways in Alaska that might be fun to drive a drive upon at some time in the future.

• Like 1

Doo they limit the ice crossing to lighter weights as springs comes around?

I guess I haven't watched enough Ice Road Truckers to know that?

Meaning - that come spring and some warm days - the ice will git rotten, but then it could re-freeze for another cpl weeks.

Down here - that has happened in Feb and then the big freeze came in and it was solid for 6-8 more weeks. (Algoma 1998)

It would seem not fit for heavy haulers anymore maybe, but would that be opened for 4 wheeler traffic after a re-freeze?

I've taken my truck accrost the Gardiner Ferry just north of Cochrane before.

Edited by Ox