quebec registration plates ...UPDATE - good outline

slomo

EDIT - PLEASE SEE FCMQ RESPONSE TO QUERY ABOUT THIS CONCERN OUTLINED IN A WORD DOCUMENT POSTED BELOW SEVERAL POSTS...

Topic around the facebook sites, instigated by Mr. Nicholson due to his concerns re: the passing of Bill 71. In my opinion, this bill legislates more about trail rider behaviour and less about snowmobile licensing in terms of registration plate placement....about which there seems to be a communication disconnect between Quebec police and the FCMQ. To whit, I have looked up the registration legislation as of May 2020 and provided a document which you might want to print out and copy, along with the letter posted on this forum as recently as last year. Will Bill 71 change this? Don't know. The usual "use at your own risk" verbiage applies.

pic01.jpg.8fb041af32d4ff64f01d1965f98b36ae.jpg

pic02.jpg.17aa873ea25732c08715c928cf4b68ba.jpg

pic03.jpg.beeee60b256561739bdc59f4112535c7.jpg

pic04.jpg.f790aff4b9b8301cafc493a2392643ba.jpg

Document with translation:

quebec sled registration and plate.docx

Hope this will be helpful to some. We currently have free travel between Ontario and Quebec, although one should look at the covid regional maps to be aware of district concerns and travel between regions.

https://www.quebec.ca/en/health/health-issues/a-z/2019-coronavirus/progressive-regional-alert-and-intervention-system/map-of-covid-19-alert-levels-by-region/

A bientot mes amies....(french lessons courtesy of STG)

Edited by slomo
  • Like 1

Sorry ...forgot link to legislation:

http://legisquebec.gouv.qc.ca/en/ShowDoc/cr/C-24.2, r. 29

Irony....my previous lumbering jackass of an Arctic Cat touring machine may not have met the weight spec being close to or slightly above the 450 kg. Or at least it felt like it.

Edited by slomo

I will say this, i am not putting the license plate on my sled. Custom numbers for me until Ontario law changes.  If we ride in Quebec and are hassled, i will probably not go back...:baghead:....:icon_munching:... I have never had a issue with custom numbers or anything in Quebec.  Even when we went thru stops by clubs and the QPP. 

FYI, we have no plans to ride in Quebec this winter anyways. Way too much beer flu over there..:dontgo:

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, RAMSOMAIR said:

What I meant is that Ontario allows custom numbers so that is a valid plate !

I agree. When we were stopped last season, the QPP and club guys both said custom numbers on our group of sleds were totally legal.  I just ranted about it, because we heard some Ontario riders say they were hassled and ticketed for custom numbers. Would be nice if the province was on the same page.

Ditto, never had any issues with this or the mirrors in QC......the only concerns we have ever seen by locals is getting gas at some stations and they wanted to confirm we had a QC trail pass before they would fill our tanks, which in my eyes is not a bad things at all!

• Like 2

Only ever had custom numbers and only ever will.

Not sure what all the discussion is about - but Quebec laws/legislation regarding registration, plating etc. would apply to only residents there - not me.

41 minutes ago, Spiderman said:

Only ever had custom numbers and only ever will.

Not sure what all the discussion is about - but Quebec laws/legislation regarding registration, plating etc. would apply to only residents there - not me.

Me to, but apparently all of the Surete didn't get the memo that custom numbers are legal in Ontario.

Carry your plate sticker that was originally issued

^^^^What if you don't have one? Purchased used sled?

Having sent an inquiry to the FCMQ about this issue, I received this excellent response. The text is lengthy so I have attached the outline in document form.

Please pay particular attention to the email addresses at the bottom of the document if you wish to make your support known.

fcmq sled stickers.docx

If anyone is having trouble opening the MS Word document, please post and I will copy and paste the relevant parts as plain text.

• Like 1

On 11/13/2020 at 6:00 AM, slomo said:

^^^^What if you don't have one? Purchased used sled?

Having sent an inquiry to the FCMQ about this issue, I received this excellent response. The text is lengthy so I have attached the outline in document form.

Please pay particular attention to the email addresses at the bottom of the document if you wish to make your support known.

fcmq sled stickers.docx 15.7 kB · 16 downloads

If anyone is having trouble opening the MS Word document, please post and I will copy and paste the relevant parts as plain text.

Thanks for your work and posting this Slomo. IMHO they do not need to remove the yellowed portion, only change the wording by removing the words "license plates" and replace them with the words legal "registration numbers".

If they remove the whole sentence does it not technically imply that those out of province sleds do not require any license plate or registration numbers?

It will be nice that Ontario riders don't get hassled anymore about this situation. A ticket for the current  misworded infraction would sour an otherwise good trip to Quebec.

• Thanks 1