New to Snowmobiles.

Activator

Myself and my three sons just purchased two new Yamaha SIDEWINDER S-TX GT 2up and are looking. for the best trails. in. Ontario and when they should be. opening up. 

We are located in Cobourg and have a great quality trailer to travel wherever required to trail. the machines

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum... to answer your question... wherever there is snow is the best. At times Sudbury and north have had better snow conditions than locations south of there. But there have also been years where they have had less snow. Myself I prefer the trails around south east Georgian Bay and Muskoka. A lot depends on the type of riding you want to do... scenic twisting trails or high mileage cover as much distance as you can as fast as you can in a day. Check the OFSC website for the Interactive Trail Guide. That and postings on here will show you the first trails open and you will also get some first hand conditions observations here on the forum.

11 minutes ago, Activator said:

Myself and my three sons just purchased two new Yamaha SIDEWINDER S-TX GT 2up and are looking. for the best trails. in. Ontario and when they should be. opening up. 

We are located in Cobourg and have a great quality trailer to travel wherever required to trail. the machines

Every year is different but usually rail trails are first to open. So you can count on fenlon falls to hailburton as an example for an early ride. That trail is decent with marginal snow and good for a first ride. Kearny area is good for early riding too along with mattawa area to pembroke usually too and Whitney over to pembroke as well. Cheers have to wait for guide to go yellow and see what is available when. Port Perry near you can be decent too in Gan forest especially. 

Edited by Strong Farmer

Welcome to the Forum Activator. Nice to see more people getting into the sport we love. the OFSC online trail guide    https://ofsc.evtrails.com/#         is a great place to find out where the trails are and what ones are available (open) to ride on. It is kept well up to date so its good information. For  early season riding  the last few years  you needed to go far north. Cochrane is awesome and usually available by Christmas time but every year can be different. Enjoy your new sleds.

Edited by PISTON LAKE CRUISER

Keep your eye on eastern Ontario - district 1. They have started up early in some years - I have been sledding out of Iroquois on the pagan Christmas holiday through to New Year's. Not too far a drive from Cobourg.  A few trail tours to get you started:

https://ucsr.ca/trailloops.html

https://ucsr.ca/minitrailloops.html

trailloopsmini.jpg.2a390ce6f797aafdc937020100bbe822.jpg

Driving time wise, you are not too far out of range for some good trails in Quebec and even New Brunswick if the Atlantic bubble opens up.

These might be an alternative to driving all the way up to Cochrane, although the NCDN is a worthy destination. I prefer Kap to Cochrane myself.

Edited by slomo

Barry's Bay occasionally opens early as well. Nice and close to Cobourg area and one of my favourite areas to ride.

Jerry

• Like 1

Just up the road (CR#45) from you is the Northumberland Forest and E108.

Once the snow is here, a great starting point for any ride.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/4/2020 at 9:58 PM, Strong Farmer said:

Just checked weather, not looking real promising for early riding at moment :barf: Let’s hope that changes next week. Looks like I am heading to beach this weekend in vette for one last run. 

B1A7C901-353A-46FF-B05F-9F1B1A9247FF.png

Next several weeks looks warm too. Going into December at plus 8. Hope that changes. 

Wed daytime high is 1 and overnight -7 for Toronto

On 11/4/2020 at 3:56 PM, Activator said:

District 1 has, on occasion, had early snowfall - as Slomo mentioned, with loop links. Loops are basically circle trips. Park, complete loop, go home or do another loop the next day. Tons of groomers in District 1, on my bucket list for early season riding. Relatively close to Cobourg (great town btw, stop there twice a year by boat on Toronto > Trent Severn Waterway > Georgian Bay travels). Really enjoy Cobourg's downtown, walking ..sightseeing, history. Nice vibe. City marina is great as well.

22 hours ago, Strong Farmer said:

Yeah but did you look at long range forecast. Going to beach again on Friday high of 14 C :banghead:

It is only November.  When have we ever had good riding and trails in November in SW Ontario.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Strong Farmer said:

We use to get some November riding in, in south. Mostly ditches and fields. 2008 we we were trail riding in D5 first week of December. Trails were awesome right up to New Years that year. 

I do remember riding in late November of ‘08. In fact I rode my sled right down #2 Hwy to my cousins place and doubled him to the dealership to get his sled so we could go ride. (It helped that he works there)..... sure would love one of those years!

LOL!

IDK if I even got to sled that year. 

Obama got in Nov '08 and sales of black guns took off like a prom dress!

(in the worst economy that 99% of us seen in our lifetime)

Didn't see outside 'till August I think.

On 11/18/2020 at 6:49 PM, Ox said:

LOL!

IDK if I even got to sled that year. 

Obama got in Nov '08 and sales of black guns took off like a prom dress!

(in the worst economy that 99% of us seen in our lifetime)

Didn't see outside 'till August I think.

That’s too bad. It was a good year. Even my uncle in Oakville had a few feet of snow in December too, which is rare. Most dealers were sold out of sleds by Xmas that year. It will happen again.