Heating trailer

Strong Farmer

Ok with this COVID issue and no place to eat for day. Thinking of out fitting my enclosed trailer with a big construction heater. Uses about 5kw and can easily heat 1000 square feet, so should be no challenge to heat trailer, even if not insulated. I bring a 8kw genset with me and can run a microwave too. Setup, a few folding chairs and foldable tables and I am all set. Should be warm and comfortable enough enjoy  a decent meal in parking lot after my ride. Has anyone tried this? Obviously I will run generator outside via a 240 volt 30 amp cord. Just have to drill a small hole in trailer floor to fish cord thru. 

I met up with a guy once who had a 4 sled trailer. He had partitioned off the front half of the trailer with a wall and a door to the rear. He had insulated the front with Styrofoam glued to the walls and roof, installed a roof vent and built a bunk on one side. He ran a generator to power a small electric heater and microwave. He had a heavy duty sleeping bag and would shut down the generator when he went to sleep. An RV power cord connection was added to the trailer. He claimed it saved a fortune on hotel rooms.

lots of logistics to deal with, inc carbon monoxide, and humidity for drying items. definitely wouldnt do this if, it was forcasted to be much colder than -5, maybe -10c. you will be miserable.

also, with drying of gear, and staying with persons of a different household, may be frowned upon. your results may vary. Ski  

Same idea as a toy hauler where the rear hauls your sled, ATV, car, etc....and other portion of trailer is a livings & cooking space.

Obviously your sled trailer is not set up like a toy hauler, but what would it take to add some rigid insulation to the interior walls and an exhaust fan, generator exhausted outside and placed in a compartment that is separate from the trailer.

Anything is possible, if you have the time and resources.

When I first took delivery of my previous trailer it was late November.  To install ski guides, etc, I used a propane heater to make the work a little more comfortable.  Worked well until it started raining inside the trailer from all the condensation.

19 minutes ago, sledjunk said:

When I first took delivery of my previous trailer it was late November.  To install ski guides, etc, I used a propane heater to make the work a little more comfortable.  Worked well until it started raining inside the trailer from all the condensation.

Propane heaters that attach to the tank will cake any closed or semi closed environment with moisture, especially anything metal. You need a gas heater/furnace that exhaust's to the outside, like most properly fitted trailers will have or an electric heater.

11 minutes ago, Turbo Doo said:

I will watch all this take place from the comfort of my motel/hotel room..B)..

The intent is possible solutions when a motel/hotel is not an option.....which I hope is not the situation that needs to be dealt with, as that would really suck for the season for those willing and able to travel to their favorite northern destinations :banghead::headbang:

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Strong Farmer said:

Obviously I will run generator outside via a 240 volt 30 amp cord. Just have to drill a small hole in trailer floor to fish cord thru. 

Use one of these ... a lot neater ...will keep out rodents while your cord is through. Useful also during the summer running power to battery tenders.

cablehatch.jpg.8e9fdc3123a83c8abee090f557d183da.jpg

trailer.JPG.520f55d02017a74340e5e23576b1bdae.JPG

Price I paid was $14 so shop around. I am also thinking one could plug in an small electric space heater from the motel block heater outlet. Why pay extra for the heater garage parking? These often go on sale and come in very handy when motel heat is not adequate:

40748748_ceramicheater.jpg.09dd96ddc05772b4c6864d9c9506fc0d.jpg

As for sleeping in the trailer....I've gotten used to hot and cold running water, flush toilets verses chamber pots.....the things that separate us from living in the 1800's. 

5 hours ago, 02Sled said:

I met up with a guy once who had a 4 sled trailer. He had partitioned off the front half of the trailer with a wall and a door to the rear. He had insulated the front with Styrofoam glued to the walls and roof, installed a roof vent and built a bunk on one side. He ran a generator to power a small electric heater and microwave. He had a heavy duty sleeping bag and would shut down the generator when he went to sleep. An RV power cord connection was added to the trailer. He claimed it saved a fortune on hotel rooms.

Sounds do-able - run lights etc. on 12 volts, would be handy to have a generator with remote control start and stop. Would not need to go out to start it to use microwave and heater if needed. Not fond of the glued styrofoam myself unless it was covered for looks and fire rating. Toilet facilities?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stoney said:

The intent is possible solutions when a motel/hotel is not an option.....which I hope is not the situation that needs to be dealt with, as that would really suck for the season for those willing and able to travel to their favorite northern destinations :banghead::headbang:

I agree on the Intent part. But i will still watch from a cosy room, or personal property before i am in a trailer..B)..

1 hour ago, Turbo Doo said:

I agree on the Intent part. But i will still watch from a cosy room, or personal property before i am in a trailer..B)..

Definitely nice to have friends and/or family, that are willing to tolerate you of course, in areas you like to spend some time when away from home.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, slomo said:

Sounds do-able - run lights etc. on 12 volts, would be handy to have a generator with remote control start and stop. Would not need to go out to start it to use microwave and heater if needed. Not fond of the glued styrofoam myself unless it was covered for looks and fire rating. Toilet facilities?

Porta Potti porta.JPG.b60bacc7242afdf518f35b4a056ab430.JPGUse similar for our boat

• 4 months later...
On 10/27/2020 at 8:42 PM, slomo said:

Toilet facilities?

Maybe marine toilet will be suitable there?

I`m also looking for it for my RV, and recently I found that it`s even possible to install macerator here :whatever:. How do you think, guys, is it worth buying or will it use too much electric power?

Edited by AndyCandy

6 hours ago, AndyCandy said:

Maybe marine toilet will be suitable there?

I`m also looking for it for my RV, and recently I found that it`s even possible to install macerator here :whatever:. How do you think, guys, is it worth buying or will it use too much electric power?

Wondering why you would consider this for an RV? 

Diesel cab heater is the way to go. Fairly inexpensive too. No moisture issues like propane. Quieter than a diesel genny