How OFSC Flex Trails would work to keep us riding!

XTC500

19 hours ago, Canuck said:

Like many, I'm packing lunch this year. 

......( not all of us have LINQ luggage racks for" thermos', Slomo :)

I've managed to source some Canadian Forces MRE's - meals ready to eat...has a "food" packet which is heated by a chemical reaction inside an outer envelope. Past their 'best before' date but how bad could they be? Be handy trail side. 

Edited by slomo

16 hours ago, Canuck said:

Rode a few Ski-doos over the years. Need to see what's out there now.  900 Ace is the one to watch. We haven't ridden together in years, but If memory serves, Slomo's on one - Nicely set up and I've heard great things about that engine. 

Irreverent, STG, Dom(?) ms turbo doo and a few others that ride more comparable to your style of riding I think would provide excellent references for that engine. You get a good choice of models on which it is used. Having done a fair amount of comparison, my view is that BRP has the most elegant engineering and design of all the marques. 

.....I do miss the fuel efficiency of the 600 ACE at times ....run all day on a tank....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Turbo Doo said:

8-)...You will be very surprised with the 900 Ace. Mrs Turbo Doo loves her '18 Blizzard 900, and i am fairly certain you would like a 900 Turbo variant. If we cross paths this season,  i am sure you could give another attempt at a test ride..And of course another :photo:.. for proof of Canuck on a Doo..8-)..

Hearst to Longlac on a naturally aspirated 900, can be done on 1 tank of fuel.. . FACT...

Can Hearst to Longlac and back still be done with a Gen 4 normally aspirated 900 ACE with 4 litre smaller tank (than the XS chassis)? I would like to hear from someone who has owned both XS and Gen 4 900s regarding fuel range. Won't affect me yet as I have my 'knew to me' 2018 for a couple of years, and just today sold my 2017, which is hands down the best sled I ever owned. Can't wait to get out and challenge the 300 km fuel range. Carry snacks and fuel up less frequently seems like a good Covid strategy.

1 hour ago, tricky said:

Can Hearst to Longlac and back still be done with a Gen 4 normally aspirated 900 ACE with 4 litre smaller tank (than the XS chassis)? I would like to hear from someone who has owned both XS and Gen 4 900s regarding fuel range. Won't affect me yet as I have my 'knew to me' 2018 for a couple of years, and just today sold my 2017, which is hands down the best sled I ever owned. Can't wait to get out and challenge the 300 km fuel range. Carry snacks and fuel up less frequently seems like a good Covid strategy.

The XS 900 will make it,  no problem. I know some guys that have done it.  I am pretty sure my 900T would make it with decent snow conditions,  and a light throttle finger, which does not do me any good...Mrs. Turbo Doo could always tow me in the last few klicks.. If things allow, we are hoping to finally get out that way this season 

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

Let me clarify myself. I seen Canucks confused emoji. Mrs. Turbo Doos sled is a 2018 Mxz Blizzard 900 ace. It will go from Hearst to Longlac on a tank of fuel no issues at all. I think she could run Cochrane to Hearst, no issues also on 1 tank.  It has a 40 liter tank. The new Gen 4 chassis has a 37 liter tank. A few fellows that are NCDN residents told me that they did the run, and had zero issues with fuel on their 2018 blizzards.  I am most certain a 900T would do it,  possibly in eco mode, and a gentle throttle finger. Obviously snow conditions would change fuel range etc. We plan on doing a tour out from Hearst and back this season, if things allow us to and will give a report then.

Edited by Turbo Doo
  • Like 2

Sorry, bud.

My confusion was your absolute faith in your wife towing you the last few klicks.

Married how many years?

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Canuck said:

Sorry, bud.

My confusion was your absolute faith in your wife towing you the last few klicks.

Married how many years?

LMFAO. Forgive me Canuck...I would like to think she would tow me the last few clicks!. Right Mrs. Turbo Doo???:roll::baghead::ph34r:...

On 10/24/2020 at 7:50 AM, slomo said:

I've managed to source some Canadian Forces MRE's - meals ready to eat...has a "food" packet which is heated by a chemical reaction inside an outer envelope. Past their 'best before' date but how bad could they be? Be handy trail side. 

Sorry, that flameless action heater don't work worth a darn in the cold. CF IMP's are heated in pressure cookers, on stoves sub zero.

If you kept the rat, heater and water in your suit for a while before trying it it's better. Don't drink the water. The box the main meal came in works well to hold it and the heater/water in and sort of insulated.

Google pocket rocket stove...way better for a trailside lunch. Cook trailside dogs all the time.

Best before dates are really for the cookies, condiments crackers etc. They turn after a few years past. Main meal is good for damn near ever. Try not to let the meal freeze more than once.

Edited by vooodooo
  • Thanks 1

On 10/23/2020 at 5:23 PM, soupkids said:

I did Tim's drive thru on my sled a couple years ago, more for a joke but they served me, laughing like hell as well.

There is a pic of the Lester gang in an old OSM or an early Supertrax at the Micky D's drive through in Parry Sound.Hard to get there now.

2 hours ago, vooodooo said:

Sorry, that flameless action heater don't work worth a darn in the cold. CF IMP's are heated in pressure cookers, on stoves sub zero.

If you kept the rat, heater and water in your suit for a while before trying it it's better. Don't drink the water. The box the main meal came in works well to hold it and the heater/water in and sort of insulated.

Google pocket rocket stove...way better for a trailside lunch. Cook trailside dogs all the time.

Best before dates are really for the cookies, condiments crackers etc. They turn after a few years past. Main meal is good for damn near ever. Try not to let the meal freeze more than once.

Thanks vooodooo. :o Getting that feedback more or less from others of those in the know such as yourself.  Guess I will have to resort to some other portable trailside meals. I did see a microwave somewhere that ran on 12 volts...

28 minutes ago, slomo said:

Thanks vooodooo. :o Getting that feedback more or less from others of those in the know such as yourself.  Guess I will have to resort to some other portable trailside meals. I did see a microwave somewhere that ran on 12 volts...

Look at the pocket rocket, many of us carry a pocket rocket, an iso/butane canister and a pot. I've got a setup that the canister and pocket rocket fit in an aluminum pot. Takes up very little space, weighs almost nothing.

Carry some dogs, buns and condiments and lunch is served!

Eaten many a half frozen IMP in the arctic, freezing my balls off in a tent.

pocket rocket.JPG

Edited by vooodooo
  • Like 1

Looks like an '80's Doo clutch.

You sure that it is STILL hot enough to heat supper from after all these years?

We used too have Hotdoggers on our sleds, but the novelty of that wore off a long time ago.

I'm good with a bag of chips, jerky, Debbies, or whatever else to git through the day at this point.

I s'pose for someone that is able to ride from home most of the time - it's not that big'a deal, but when my sled hits the snow - I Shirley don't want to sit around half the day dick'n with a dad blamed fire or whatnot. 

I have already carried Sterno stove on my 4wheeler and used that in the bush too.

Not sure I will doo that aggin or not?

Edited by Ox

Nothing wrong with bringing all the fixins and having good ole swamp dogs! Did that a few times at the tail end of a good days ride. Not gourmet by any means but hits the spot.

Also I think there was another contraption called the muff pot, you would fill it up with your stuff and then attach it to your muffler and ride around for a bit until it cooked.

11 hours ago, SuperG said:

Nothing wrong with bringing all the fixins and having good ole swamp dogs! Did that a few times at the tail end of a good days ride. Not gourmet by any means but hits the spot.

Also I think there was another contraption called the muff pot, you would fill it up with your stuff and then attach it to your muffler and ride around for a bit until it cooked.

They still make and sell the muff pot

On 10/24/2020 at 6:23 PM, Turbo Doo said:

Let me clarify myself. I seen Canucks confused emoji. Mrs. Turbo Doos sled is a 2018 Mxz Blizzard 900 ace. It will go from Hearst to Longlac on a tank of fuel no issues at all. I think she could run Cochrane to Hearst, no issues also on 1 tank.  It has a 40 liter tank. The new Gen 4 chassis has a 37 liter tank. A few fellows that are NCDN residents told me that they did the run, and had zero issues with fuel on their 2018 blizzards.  I am most certain a 900T would do it,  possibly in eco mode, and a gentle throttle finger. Obviously snow conditions would change fuel range etc. We plan on doing a tour out from Hearst and back this season, if things allow us to and will give a report then.

Keep us in mind when you decide to do that trip, I would be interested for sure.

make sure to buy snacker packers for your hot dogger or muff pot. they are like small oven bags, to help with clean up, mess, and cooking. one of lynne's girlfriends owns the company that markets them to powersports users. Ski

22 hours ago, Ox said:

Looks like an '80's Doo clutch.

You sure that it is STILL hot enough to heat supper from after all these years?

We used too have Hotdoggers on our sleds, but the novelty of that wore off a long time ago.

I'm good with a bag of chips, jerky, Debbies, or whatever else to git through the day at this point.

I s'pose for someone that is able to ride from home most of the time - it's not that big'a deal, but when my sled hits the snow - I Shirley don't want to sit around half the day dick'n with a dad blamed fire or whatnot. 

I have already carried Sterno stove on my 4wheeler and used that in the bush too.

Not sure I will doo that aggin or not?

This is a butane stove,  it will heat anything. Lots of btu's..cook them dogs

On ‎10‎/‎24‎/‎2020 at 6:23 PM, Turbo Doo said:

I ran all the way from Hornepayne to Longloc on a tank in my 2018 800 2-stroke Cat.  Had spare gas incase, but never added.  It was good hard trails.  I think you should not have any issues unless snow is deeper and unpacked.

49 minutes ago, AC+YA said:

I ran all the way from Hornepayne to Longloc on a tank in my 2018 800 2-stroke Cat.  Had spare gas incase, but never added.  It was good hard trails.  I think you should not have any issues unless snow is deeper and unpacked.

You burning high octane. I find in 900 it gives me more range around 50 km’s per tank. I think it is corn in regular hurting mileage. Sled can adjust timing for high octane so I just burn that now. 

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, AC+YA said:

That was my thought also AC+YA.... And a steady throttle finger helps also.:ph34r:..:right_on:

On ‎10‎/‎30‎/‎2020 at 7:23 PM, Turbo Doo said:

That was my thought also AC+YA.... And a steady throttle finger helps also.:ph34r:..:right_on:

It was premium that I got in Hornepayne.  It mixed with the fuel from Dub which is not.  I try to get premium when possible, but many times only regular is available.  That was the day I saw Dennis and Matt where the trail turns at Hwy11.

I had to work at not playing too much with the throttle and that was hard, but I wanted to see if I could do it.  I had a fuel warning for the last 30 miles, but it never stopped.  Paige stopped and I even went back to see why.  We dumped a couple gallons in hers, but she still had a Suzuki Motor back then.  With the head sets we have now, the backtracking would not have happened.

I think it runs better on premium.

• 1 month later...

Thought I would revisit this since its about the OFSC Flex trails  and now we have heath units in different colours  and we are trying to make trip plans   We are in Red  and booked at Sturgean Falls and Auld Reekie                     Just FYI check out Edgewaters web page and what they say about travelling out of your area     I know others have booked    Cochrane as eg   Any issues with address of where you come from ?     Which colour is Pembroke in and what heath unit ?    Also one concern could be  that OFSC will have no control over is if the First Nations close up trail like they did in Quebec    Again not fear mongering just trying to get input and advice    Things have changed since OFSC has developed this plan I am thinking 

31 minutes ago, volunteer2 said:

Thought I would revisit this since its about the OFSC Flex trails  and now we have heath units in different colours  and we are trying to make trip plans   We are in Red  and booked at Sturgean Falls and Auld Reekie                     Just FYI check out Edgewaters web page and what they say about travelling out of your area     I know others have booked    Cochrane as eg   Any issues with address of where you come from ?     Which colour is Pembroke in and what heath unit ?    Also one concern could be  that OFSC will have no control over is if the First Nations close up trail like they did in Quebec    Again not fear mongering just trying to get input and advice    Things have changed since OFSC has developed this plan I am thinking 

Nothing mentioned when I was making our reservations Nick. I think the hotels/motels will accept reservations for further out the calendar because at this time they have no idea what "colour" they will be in at that time and do not want to turn away any business on a guess.

• Thanks 1