How OFSC Flex Trails would work to keep us riding!

XTC500

Mr Nicholson put this link on Facebook:

https://www.ofsc.on.ca/2020/10/22/flex-trails-pandemic-developments/?fbclid=IwAR3ISDZXq8LjJ0AxT9UIH-h19AT82luhvldz2m5IukyIAG9_yiUtRjxsm-Q

I skimmed through it. Looks like OFSC has a flex trail idea for closing down trails that enter into areas that have stage 2 restrictions. Might work to keep sledders out of the hot spots. But I don't see anything in this update to keep the snowmobilers that live or work in the hot spots off the trails, out of the restaurants/bars & hotels in the areas that have few or zero infections.

• Thanks 1

Asc I understand the plan, orders who within a hot spot can still ride within the hotspot. Trails within the hotspot can be listed as available. What will show as closed are any trails that connect the Stage 2 with any other zone.  Its up to the establishments to control access to their busineses.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I am patiently waiting for the mic drop announcement of you southern guys cannot travel north to ride.  Mean while, we have plane loads of infected people pass thru Pearson each week, Hunting and fishing where allowed, camping was allowed etc etc. I am planning on the worst,  and hoping for the best..:unsure:.....I think us people who live outside 'Hotspots' should be ok dont yah think?. Time will tell....

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Big Pete said:

Asc I understand the plan, orders who within a hot spot can still ride within the hotspot. Trails within the hotspot can be listed as available. What will show as closed are any trails that connect the Stage 2 with any other zone.  Its up to the establishments to control access to their busineses.

Well said..:right_on:

So.  People who are outside of, but near to, a stage 2 area can't ride, but people inside a stage 2 area can?  Also, there is no restriction on traveling from a stage 2 area into any other area.  It might not be a great idea, but there is no restriction.  That is part of the reason that the Mayor of Markham was pushing for a restriction, but did not get it.  BTW, Victoria Park Avenue, Woodbine Avenue, etc, were not closed at Steeles when York was still stage 3.

Typical OFSC not staying in their lane.

15 minutes ago, Big Pete said:

I see what you are saying now that I read more detail in the section OFSC District 1:.

Some establishments have started to control access.

https://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/locals-only-stratford-restaurant-only-allowing-eat-in-to-those-living-within-50-km-1.5146797

But I'm afraid many establishments won't have deep enough pockets that they can turn away customers. Especially in the northern communities. 

52 minutes ago, Turbo Doo said:

I am patiently waiting for the mic drop announcement of you southern guys cannot travel north to ride.  Mean while, we have plane loads of infected people pass thru Pearson each week, Hunting and fishing where allowed, camping was allowed etc etc. I am planning on the worst,  and hoping for the best..:unsure:.....I think us people who live outside 'Hotspots' should be ok dont yah think?. Time will tell....

As long as trails are open and grooomed, I am going too. 

I'm just wondering how they would enforce it.   How would you recognize that someone is on your trail system that doesn't belong?  If there are people enforcing it, what do they do?  yell "STOP!! or I'll yell STOP again"?   Being sarcastic here, but I don't see how this will work unless its the honour system

• Like 1

This gets interesting if there is an outbreak in Belleville.  Technically Bancroft is in the same health unit despite being 1.5 hours away.  Do we close trails in and out of Bancroft due to an outbreak in Belleville?  Hopefully we don't get to those scenarios, but will be interesting to see how it plays out.  Similar if Timmins has a run of it does Hearst have to close things up to connect to Wawa?  Timmins and Hearst are in the same health unit district.  Wawa is part of the Algoma health unit.  As for enforcement can't see it being anything other than the honour system.  

1 hour ago, signfan said:

This gets interesting if there is an outbreak in Belleville.  Technically Bancroft is in the same health unit despite being 1.5 hours away.  Do we close trails in and out of Bancroft due to an outbreak in Belleville?  Hopefully we don't get to those scenarios, but will be interesting to see how it plays out.  Similar if Timmins has a run of it does Hearst have to close things up to connect to Wawa?  Timmins and Hearst are in the same health unit district.  Wawa is part of the Algoma health unit.  As for enforcement can't see it being anything other than the honour system.  

Sounds like a lot of if’s. Looks like a big loop is out of question, since if they do close some of connection trails you need to complete your ride, it would be a dangerous one, if trails blow in and not groomed any more. I can see some riders getting caught off guard this winter. Kind of disappointing this could happen and force us  to ride in circles all over province. People are going to trailer to open areas anyways, and those parking lots will be packed with truck and trailers too. I guess every day we pick a different area and circle trail to ride. 

1 minute ago, signfan said:

Yeah chances are large swaths of the province go untouched by this though.  Will be interesting to see.

I dunno about that. All major cities are at risk because of senior homes. It won’t take much for north bay or Timmins or Hearst for hospitals to get over whelmed and into stage 2 for 28 days. I can see it being a nightmare from a logistics stand point. If connection trails do get closed, how will they even get re opened if snows and thaws and rains etc. Not liking this idea. They aren’t closing roads down linking communities so why do trails have to be disconnected. 

If trails were open today, here is a real life example of how this would work?  I am in York Region, but our groomers are based out of Durham.  Our trails that go through York would have to be groomed from Durham so that the York trails are groomed.  The York trails would be open, but the freshly groomed trails to York would have to be closed.  That means that all the Durham riders would not be able to ride their local trails because they lead to York, even though their are is 'clean'.

I think this policy is going to lead to many people ignoring these 'closed' trails.  It is an unworkable policy.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Strong Farmer said:

I dunno about that. All major cities are at risk because of senior homes. It won’t take much for north bay or Timmins or Hearst for hospitals to get over whelmed and into stage 2 for 28 days. I can see it being a nightmare from a logistics stand point. If connection trails do get closed, how will they even get re opened if snows and thaws and rains etc. Not liking this idea. They aren’t closing roads down linking communities so why do trails have to be disconnected. 

Really? This is the second time in this topic someone has mentioned that roads aren't being closed to hot spot communities so why should trails be closed. Do we as snowmobilers think that our recreational trails are as important as roads? 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, sledjunk said:

If trails were open today, here is a real life example of how this would work?  I am in York Region, but our groomers are based out of Durham.  Our trails that go through York would have to be groomed from Durham so that the York trails are groomed.  The York trails would be open, but the freshly groomed trails to York would have to be closed.  That means that all the Durham riders would not be able to ride their local trails because they lead to York, even though their are is 'clean'.

I think this policy is going to lead to many people ignoring these 'closed' trails.  It is an unworkable policy.

Riders have  ignored closed trails before, no???:poke2:...

Edited by Turbo Doo
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, XTC500 said:

I see what you are saying now that I read more detail in the section OFSC District 1:.

Some establishments have started to control access.

https://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/locals-only-stratford-restaurant-only-allowing-eat-in-to-those-living-within-50-km-1.5146797

But I'm afraid many establishments won't have deep enough pockets that they can turn away customers. Especially in the northern communities. 

So how do they account for the truckers that need to eat and sleep in their area in order to get their supplies to them? Is that as the crow flies or is it distance by road. Are they going to google map search everyone coming in to make sure they aren't 51 km away?

54 minutes ago, 02Sled said:

So how do they account for the truckers that need to eat and sleep in their area in order to get their supplies to them? Is that as the crow flies or is it distance by road. Are they going to google map search everyone coming in to make sure they aren't 51 km away?

If you read between the lines, they are trying to keep people from the 'hotspots' from eating at the restaurants.  Good idea in my mind....The hotspots should have been closed up, long before cases reached the level today...They are just checking ID. Another good idea..

Edited by Turbo Doo

1 hour ago, 02Sled said:

I'm pretty sure most if not all of the restaurants mentioned are not of the type or are in locations that that most  truckers would be looking to eat at while they are working.

• Like 1

During morning coffee with Ms. Canuck, she mentioned " there's always drive thru". I'm not so sure ( why would I try, in the past?). I've seen Honda Gold wing cruisers in summer window line-ups, so maybe. ...

Can we use drive through windows at McDonald's, Tim Hortons if restrictions come back? I recall drive thru being open - but doors to restaurant itself closed.

Like many, I'm packing lunch this year. Often have in the past ( fav was Ukrainian kobasssa and rye bread on the new trail west of Hearst towards Longlac...with Groomer Guy and friends)

Buying a hot coffee at McDs would be nice ( not all of us have LINQ luggage racks for" thermos', Slomo :)

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Canuck said:

During morning coffee with Ms. Canuck, she mentioned " there's always drive thru". I'm not so sure ( why would I try, in the past?). I've seen Honda Gold wing cruisers in summer window line-ups, so maybe. ...

Can we use drive through windows at McDonald's, Tim Hortons if restrictions come back? I recall drive thru being open - but doors to restaurant itself closed.

Like many, I'm packing lunch this year. Often have in the past ( fav was Ukrainian kobasssa and rye bread on the new trail west of Hearst towards Longlac...with Groomer Guy and friends)

Buying a hot coffee at McDs would be nice ( not all of us have LINQ luggage racks for" thermos', Slomo :)

I have first handedly experienced the Ukrainian Kobassa, rye bread,  cheese,  pickles, you name it. I am about ready for a redo of that trip Mr. CANUCK..:poke2:...If you will just spring order a Doo, you would have the LINQ stuff..B)

Edited by Turbo Doo
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Turbo Doo said:

I have first handedly experienced the Ukrainian Kobassa, rye bread,  cheese,  pickles, you name it. I am about ready for a redo of that trip Mr. CANUCK..:poke2:...If you will just spring order a Doo, you would have the LINQ stuff..B)

No way he is switching, same with sled junk. Yamaha forever like nunz is to Polaris. 

• Like 2

I switched from Yamaha to Arctic Cat. Buddy and I had bad morning with 2 Vipers not starting in minus 25. He kept his. I switched to Arctic Cat. 

As I mentioned in a prior thread - I can accept a 'one off', non starting sled. But they both had the exact same starting pattern. Then non-starting pattern. If there were 10 Yamaha Vipers in a row that morning, all 10 would've had to be towed home from Marie's Post 392 lodging near Timmins. 

Haven't tattooed 'Arctic Cat' on my butt because range on the Suzuki based engine (which is very smooth running) - is limited. Luc had to carry gas for me on Longlac trip.  I wish Yamaha was still in the market - not just selling a variety of AC based Vipers and Sidewinders. And now Arctic Cat's having some legal issue with Ski-Doo's frame patents.

Rode a few Ski-doos over the years. Need to see what's out there now.  900 Ace is the one to watch. We haven't ridden together in years, but If memory serves, Slomo's on one - Nicely set up and I've heard great things about that engine. 

Enjoy reading about Nunz' Polaris fever, Sledjunk's mileage accumulating Yamahas and Turbo Doo's 'whiplash' inducing new ride(s).

6 minutes ago, Canuck said:

I switched from Yamaha to Arctic Cat. Buddy and I had bad morning with 2 Vipers not starting in minus 25. He kept his. I switched to Arctic Cat. 

As I mentioned in a prior thread - I can accept a 'one off', non starting sled. But they both had the exact same starting pattern. Then non-starting pattern. If there were 10 Yamaha Vipers in a row that morning, all 10 would've had to be towed home from Marie's Post 392 lodging near Timmins. 

Haven't tattooed 'Arctic Cat' on my butt because range on the Suzuki based engine (which is very smooth running) - is limited. Luc had to carry gas for me on Longlac trip.  I wish Yamaha was still in the market - not just selling a variety of AC based Vipers and Sidewinders. And now Arctic Cat's having some legal issue with Ski-Doo's frame patents.

Rode a few Ski-doos over the years. Need to see what's out there now.  900 Ace is the one to watch. We haven't ridden together in years, but If memory serves, Slomo's on one - Nicely set up and I've heard great things about that engine. 

Enjoy reading about Nunz' Polaris fever, Sledjunk's mileage accumulating Yamahas and Turbo Doo's 'whiplash' inducing new ride(s).

8-)...You will be very surprised with the 900 Ace. Mrs Turbo Doo loves her '18 Blizzard 900, and i am fairly certain you would like a 900 Turbo variant. If we cross paths this season,  i am sure you could give another attempt at a test ride..And of course another :photo:.. for proof of Canuck on a Doo..8-)..

Hearst to Longlac on a naturally aspirated 900, can be done on 1 tank of fuel.. . FACT...

Edited by Turbo Doo
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Canuck said:

I did Tim's drive thru on my sled a couple years ago, more for a joke but they served me, laughing like hell as well.

• Like 1