Great News For Snowmobilers In Eastern Ontario

Big Pete

Upper Canada Snowmobile Region and City of Ottawa Reach Agreement for Use of City Land for Snowmobile Trails...Trails within the City of Ottawa Will be Open Once the Snow Hits the Ground

(Ottawa, ON: October 21, 2020) – The Upper Canada Snowmobile Region (UCSR) is pleased to announce that a new License of Occupation Agreement has been reached with the City of Ottawa to allow the five snowmobile clubs [Beautiful Eastern Association of Snowmobile Trails (BEAST), Carleton Regional Snowmobile Club (CRSC), Osgoode Carleton Snowmobile Trails Club (OCSTC), Rideau Snowmobile Club (RSC), and West Carleton Snowmobile Trails Association (WCSTA)] continued seasonal use of City land for the 2020-2021 snowmobile season and through to the spring of 2025. 

“The city was very collaborative in the development of this new five-year agreement which will see the five snowmobile clubs in and around the city of Ottawa being able to continue using important portions of City land within their trail network,” commented UCSR President Bruce Robinson. “Without the city’s keen attention to this file we could not have organized this agreement in the short time we did.”

“The City is pleased to have renewed this partnership to ensure snowmobilers can continue to use designated City lands and spend time outdoors.  We recognize its importance in the community and appreciate the hard work by the clubs and the district to maintain the trails.  We want to remind everyone to be safe, follow the rules and enjoy these less travelled parts of our City,” explained Derrick Moodie, Director of the City’s Corporate Real Estate Office. 

“A special acknowledgement and thanks goes out to the small volunteer team representing the 5 clubs, our District Manager, the city staff for their professionalism and interest in snowmobiling, and Ontario Federation of Snowmobile Clubs (OFSC) staff for their excellent support and advice over the summer to reach this milestone agreement,” explained UCSR Vice President Scott Buckley.

“Snowmobilers are reminded that a Ministry of Transportation snowmobile trail permit is required on all OFSC trails including those within the city,” said UCSR Trails Director Ian Edwards. “The continued use of the city’s land for snowmobile trails will only be possible if operators follow the Motorized Snow Vehicles Act and the snowmobiler’s code of ethics while being courteous for other users of the Lands including pedestrians, cross-country skiers, snowshoers and other users.”

“Snowmobilers within and around the City of Ottawa can rest assured that snowmobile trails this winter will be open for use once the normal safety preparations, signage, and inspections are complete,” explains WCSTA President Paul McDonald.

Details on the license of occupation will be made available via club websites and social media platforms.

The UCSR and its clubs are committed to delivering the best possible trail riding experiences for snowmobilers around Ottawa and across eastern Ontario.

‐30‐

The Upper Canada Snowmobile Region (UCSR), District 1 of the Ontario Federation of Snowmobile Clubs (OFSC), is a volunteer led, not-for-profit association that provides the voice for organized on-trail snowmobiling in Eastern Ontario. The UCSR consists of 16 snowmobile clubs with over 3000 kms of groomed snowmobile trails managed by over 1,000 dedicated volunteers generating up to $70.8 million in economic activity (18/19 season) in eastern Ontario each year.

For questions, please contact Darin McRae, District Manager, at darinmcrae@ucsr.ca or by phone at 613-543-0374. www.ucsr.ca

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Grand River Conservation Authority take notice.  This is how it should be.  If the coverage is good enough (which it is) for the city of Ottawa it's good enough for your organization.  Congrats to the Upper Canada snowmobile region.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, signfan said:

Grand River Conservation Authority take notice.  This is how it should be.  If the coverage is good enough (which it is) for the city of Ottawa it's good enough for your organization.  Congrats to the Upper Canada snowmobile region.

X2

Thanks, Ottawa, for not being dicks again this year. I'm willing to bet not a lot of passes were sold locally this year up to now, considering last year's ridiculous political boondoggle.

If only the other A trail issue could be solved now. 

11 hours ago, signfan said:

Congrats to the Upper Canada snowmobile region.

Way to go.

11 hours ago, signfan said:

I say, since most clubs have found new trails and such, and have done work with new landowners to make trails to get around the conservation authority,  maybe its time to say, bye bye to the relationship?. Just a thought..

There were great reroutes done with alot of work for sure  so thanks to the people involved     Alot of trails may have been for a one year term and there was alot of road running too    The Lake Conestoga club house just wont be accessible with out GRCA permission   The whole thing really is a huge shame since the lands are basically owned by the  " tax payers "    I still would be very interested in how District 1 did negotiate an agreement and how the City of Ottawa's  needs were met  

7 hours ago, volunteer2 said:

There were great reroutes done with alot of work for sure  so thanks to the people involved     Alot of trails may have been for a one year term and there was alot of road running too    The Lake Conestoga club house just wont be accessible with out GRCA permission   The whole thing really is a huge shame since the lands are basically owned by the  " tax payers "    I still would be very interested in how District 1 did negotiate an agreement and how the City of Ottawa's  needs were met  

Call Darin McRae at the D-1 Office. He can provide some insight into the negotiations. IMO there are at least 2 snowmobile friendly councillors at the City who are big supporters of the local clubs. Having said that I believe the city staff "get it" when it comes to winter tourism and recreation. What with the Rideau Canal skate way, Winterlude, and proximity to the Quebec network they the importance of putting a quality product forward to gain a fair share of winter tourism. The 5 clubs involved with the City all had their own agreements and they were all different to a large degree. I think the city also sees benefit in having 1 master agreement for the trails within their jurisdiction.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, Turbo Doo said:

I say, since most clubs have found new trails and such, and have done work with new landowners to make trails to get around the conservation authority,  maybe its time to say, bye bye to the relationship?. Just a thought..

It's government owned land.  To accept being kicked out is not a solution and sets a terrible precedent. The conservation authority needs to bend and start playing ball.  OFSC has more than enough coverage.  The other trail users need to step up to the plate with their own insurance and if that doesn't occur then it's on the conservation authority to provide coverage for them or stop their use.  Not the OFSC's issue to solve.

14 minutes ago, signfan said:

It's government owned land.  To accept being kicked out is not a solution and sets a terrible precedent. The conservation authority needs to bend and start playing ball.  OFSC has more than enough coverage.  The other trail users need to step up to the plate with their own insurance and if that doesn't occur then it's on the conservation authority to provide coverage for them or stop their use.  Not the OFSC's issue to solve.

I agree with what you are saying.  It definitely sucks,  insurance Controls soo much..

1 hour ago, signfan said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but as I understand it the GRCA wants the Snowmobile clubs to provide liability insurance to cover the properties  used by the clubs for any and all users in lieu of the GRCA having to provide said coverage themselves for other than snowmobile users.  If what I've stated is correct and the snowmobile clubs do not agree to the GRCA demands, then the GRCA is going to have to carry liability coverage for said properties and pay for it themselves to be protected.  If that is the case then why would the GRCA be pushing the matter, they will be paying one way or another.

24 minutes ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but as I understand it the GRCA wants the Snowmobile clubs to provide liability insurance to cover the properties  used by the clubs for any and all users in lieu of the GRCA having to provide said coverage themselves for other than snowmobile users.  If what I've stated is correct and the snowmobile clubs do not agree to the GRCA demands, then the GRCA is going to have to carry liability coverage for said properties and pay for it themselves to be protected.  If that is the case then why would the GRCA be pushing the matter, they will be paying one way or another.

That's how I understand it, as well as coverage all year long.  Some hiker trips in the bush in July, the OFSC is responsible.

• 1 month later...

Some more great news from Upper Canada Snowmobile Region (UCSR D-1). This agreement secures 72kms of Top A Trail for this season which allows the United Counties of Prescott-Russell and VIA Rail to work a new deal. Congrats to the executive and volunteers at Eastern Ontario Snowmobile Club and the UCSR District Office for the countless hours that have gone into this .

http://en.prescott-russell.on.ca/news/what_s_new/ucpr_and_via_rail_canada_extend_lease?fbclid=IwAR29-ERU7wz3c-NJ4EcM17SEWVsVzpF1wTfclEGK77KYTNHqSZyoOLoboYI

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Excellent news for sure and great to see the cooperative spirit of those involved.

Surely this can be used by others as a template for their area including the Grand River Conservation Association.  Always helps having assistance on the inside of the approving authorities such as the 2 Councillors for the Region of Ottawa.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, bbakernbay said:

Excellent news for sure and great to see the cooperative spirit of those involved.

Surely this can be used by others as a template for their area including the Grand River Conservation Association.  Always helps having assistance on the inside of the approving authorities such as the 2 Councillors for the Region of Ottawa.

I sure hope grca issue can be resolved for next winter. Conestoga lake is one of my favourite riding area’s. Always fun to ride thru lake and end up at tivetdale truck stop for lunch. 
Should buy a used sled and come out and join some of us for a ride, now that you are in Kitchener area. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Glad the lawyers on both sides came to an agreement on the wording.  I was in the thick of this last year with Ottawa, and it is certainly a challenging process, with only a few having the true legal input/final say. 

Looking good.. just need to keep the volunteers going on setup .. and then some cold and snow.   The cold this week in the east should lock up some swamps with no snow cover to insulate 

1 hour ago, Strong Farmer said:

I sure hope grca issue can be resolved for next winter. Conestoga lake is one of my favourite riding area’s. Always fun to ride thru lake and end up at tivetdale truck stop for lunch. 
Should buy a used sled and come out and join some of us for a ride, now that you are in Kitchener area. 

I had 3 SkiDoos blow up on me even though I had The Toy Doctor in Redbridge looking after them, although the Touring probably had 25,000 kms, the only thing that didn’t work was the odometer! I towed all 3 next door to Bent Toys on Highway 63 for some cash.  Just sold my Collett Communicators yesterday on kijiji.  I always get the bug when I head out to my son’s house in New Dundee and see the trail stakes.

It must be very discouraging to be a Club Executive or Volunteer in this area with minimal snowfall and hundreds of Landowners to deal with let alone being a sledder with $20,000 tied up and nowhere to go.

58 minutes ago, bbakernbay said:

I had 3 SkiDoos blow up on me even though I had The Toy Doctor in Redbridge looking after them, although the Touring probably had 25,000 kms, the only thing that didn’t work was the odometer! I towed all 3 next door to Bent Toys on Highway 63 for some cash.  Just sold my Collett Communicators yesterday on kijiji.  I always get the bug when I head out to my son’s house in New Dundee and see the trail stakes.

It must be very discouraging to be a Club Executive or Volunteer in this area with minimal snowfall and hundreds of Landowners to deal with let alone being a sledder with $20,000 tied up and nowhere to go.

And yet we keep on doing it Brian, hoping that we will get a ride or more locally.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bbakernbay said:

When your at your sons place, i am literally around the corner from New Dundee...Once this covid beer flu is gone, your welcome to stop by for a chat..

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Turbo Doo said:

Did you ever ride 'thru' conestoga lake PLC?. :D

Typically flew over it at low altitude. Yammie yuh know!

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, bbakernbay said:

Since you came to Kitchener. Snow has been terrible. Wasn’t this bad ever before for such a long period of time. I think last good winter was 2013 and 2014 when local trails were open for 10 weeks. That’s year I built a new barn and we had to bull dooze 3 feet of snow in middle of March. Since then been pits to be honest. 

• Like 1