2021 SADDLEBAG TRIP PLANNING ISSUES

PISTON LAKE CRUISER

4 minutes ago, skidooboy said:

been in a car dealership, service isle lately? the second you get out of your car, they spray your drivers door, seat, steering wheel and dash with a gun that looks a lot like an old high pressure spray paint gun from the body shop, filled with what i assume is an alcohol based fine mist disinfectant. 

when they bring it around to return it to you, they do the same thing. 

everyone is going to have to change their thought process on what they have to do, if they want to sled. you may not be able to use a hotel room just one night, especially in the north.  you may not be going in to pay for fuel, or sitting down in a resto or pub, for ANY MEAL or drinks afterward. and to think you could travel, with a group from different households, who you know, but, dont know their health status but, "trust them" as they are friends, or family... that is what is spreading this now, and keeping the media and govt changing out lives daily. 

Once colds and flu start showing up, and no one can tell the difference again... it will all come to a SCREECHING HALT. 

Ski

When I called around for my musoka trip. Most places wanted a two night stay even mid week. My better half got sucked into working Friday night, so I could only do one night. Huntsville inn and suites let me book just Saturday night. One of few places that would do a single night, mostly because it was a suite room with a large king bed not in high demand from families I think. Going  to be tough to find a place that will even agree to a one night stay. I think I won’t travel because if you do break down, you won’t be able to get last minute accomdations very easily either. 

Edited by Strong Farmer

Usually I book annual trip in advance for my team, but this year I'm not planning that, I will make several short 2-3 days trips  with my team members, not big group, I hope it will be easier to organize, however I'm planning to make my solo for 8-10 days.  For sure extra gas and provision must to have to minimize visiting a public places.    

Here is some fresh information (this morning) from Northern Ontario (present day policies):

New Liskeard- Waterfront Inn, Quality Inn & Econolodge -  All will accept one night reservations, restaurant open at Waterfront and Econolodge

Timmins- Super 8- Will accept one night reservations. Caseys next door is open every day EXCEPT Sunday

Cochrane- Westway- Will accept one night reservations. Restaurants in town are open.

Hearst- Companion- Will accept one night reservations. **** Restaurant only open from 11AM- 10PM (continental breakfast available)  Bar open 3PM-11PM

Almost all the people I spoke to seemed quite surprised that I would be questioning being able to get one night reservations.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

22 minutes ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

Here is some fresh information (this morning) from Northern Ontario (present day policies):

New Liskeard- Waterfront Inn, Quality Inn & Econolodge -  All will accept one night reservations, restaurant open at Waterfront and Econolodge

Timmins- Super 8- Will accept one night reservations. Caseys next door is open every day EXCEPT Sunday

Cochrane- Westway- Will accept one night reservations. Restaurants in town are open.

Hearst- Companion- Will accept one night reservations. **** Restaurant only open from 11AM- 10PM (continental breakfast available)  Bar open 3PM-11PM

Almost all the people I spoke to seemed quite surprised that I would be questioning being able to get one night reservations.

That’s good to know. Musoka is different even deerhurst or hidden valley resort wouldn’t do one nights. I called both places too. Might be hard to do rap tour this winter. 

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

I bet you will see weekend bookings becoming 2 nights min really soon.  I really dont blame the motels for doing this just to cut down on cleaning costs.   

Edited by scottyr

6 hours ago, slomo said:

This virus lives on everything. 

It doesn't survive McDonald's food. Blake's onto something :)

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

:drool-1:

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, skidooboy said:

Once colds and flu start showing up, and no one can tell the difference again... it will all come to a SCREECHING HALT. 

Ski

Boy do I hope Ski is wrong, and the Donald is right, but I fear not. Could be a long sad season. Would be nice to get snow throughout the old traditional snowbelt areas so that we sledders can at least spread out.

22 minutes ago, tricky said:

Boy do I hope Ski is wrong, and the Donald is right, but I fear not. Could be a long sad season. Would be nice to get snow throughout the old traditional snowbelt areas so that we sledders can at least spread out.

Wait and see. If this thing goes down no grooming anyway’s. No tourists no trails ofsc made that message clear. 

Edited by Strong Farmer
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Strong Farmer said:

Wait and see. If this thing goes down no grooming anyway’s. No tourists no trails ofsc made that message clear. 

i don't think that what the OFSC said!   Show me where they "made that message clear"!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Strong Farmer said:

Getting virus from things or surfaces is difficult. Media is just scaring us. It is a mostly spread by breathing in droplets from an effective person, hence 2 meter distancing.  

Well my worthy friend....the protocol for removing your face mask calls for washing / disinfecting hands prior to touching the mask to remove it....why do you think this is?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Strong Farmer said:

They groom for tourism. That is why trails got shut down last March. Otherwise they could have kept system open for locals with min once a week groom. 

They shut the trails still open down early last season because of the threat caused by Covid 19. As far as this year goes, here is what the OFSC said on their F/B page: "Confidence Bonus applies only if there is a province wide trail closure before February 16, 2021 resulting from COVID-19 public health measures." 

No mention of tourists was made in that post.

As someone previously posted, you need to get your crap right!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 5

2 minutes ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

They shut the trails still open down early last season because of the threat caused by Covid 19. As far as this year goes, here is what the OFSC said on their F/B page: "Confidence Bonus applies only if there is a province wide trail closure before February 16, 2021 resulting from COVID-19 public health measures." 

No mention of tourists was made in that post.

As someone previously posted, you need to get your crap right!

And they shut them down, due to the unknown.  We have made a little progress since March.. Well said PLC

38 minutes ago, Turbo Doo said:

And they shut them down, due to the unknown.  We have made a little progress since March.. Well said PLC

The virus was and is a threat to the health of everyone. A large segment of our volunteers are "older" and part of the more vulnerable segment of the population. There is an obligation on the part of the OFSC to protect the health of the groomer operators. They are to be protected as employees and therefore subject to the same provincial regulations as any other business. They have done a lot of work to create protocols regarding club operation that complies with the provincial regulations. You can't have someone drive the groomer for X hours and then just have someone else jump in to continue for X hours without taking precautions.

35 minutes ago, 02Sled said:

The virus was and is a threat to the health of everyone. A large segment of our volunteers are "older" and part of the more vulnerable segment of the population. There is an obligation on the part of the OFSC to protect the health of the groomer operators. They are to be protected as employees and therefore subject to the same provincial regulations as any other business. They have done a lot of work to create protocols regarding club operation that complies with the provincial regulations. You can't have someone drive the groomer for X hours and then just have someone else jump in to continue for X hours without taking precautions.

I agree. But i did not say anything about this in my post. We need to learn to live with this Virus, and respect it. Work with the protocols in place,  and lets move forward.  

Edited by Turbo Doo
  • Like 6

4 hours ago, slomo said:

Well my worthy friend....the protocol for removing your face mask calls for washing / disinfecting hands prior to touching the mask to remove it....why do you think this is?

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/faq.html

That sums it up pretty much. Chance of getting it from an object is low I think. Actually wash your hands after touching mask too, since it may contain virus on outside via droplets from an effective person, while wearing mask. 

Edited by Strong Farmer
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Turbo Doo said:

I agree. But i did not say anything about this in my post. We need to learn to live with this Virus, and respect it. Work with the protocols in place,  and lets move forward.  

^ THIS.....the media and the sheep are causing a major hinderance to let society move forward with some normalcy, albeit with rules & protocols in place to keep the very large majority perfectly safe from this virus. 

16 hours ago, Strong Farmer said:

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/faq.html

That sums it up pretty much. Chance of getting it from an object is low I think. Actually wash your hands after touching mask too, since it may contain virus on outside via droplets from an effective person, while wearing mask. 

Even if the person isn't effective, the virus certainly is.  If the person is infected, you can get the virus.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My buddys son was asymptomatic but he brought it home and gave it to mom and dad.     Mom was in serious condition in Guelph hospital for 5 days.   

• Sad 1

Contrarily to years past, i wouldnt want to take the risk of pre planning and deposits on any areas to ride till at least December as i believe things will change in some areas before then. Colds and flu along with the virus will only complicate things for the officials and more closures or lockdowns will be imposed due to the still much unknown. 

As far as grooming operators goes, I can see having to add disinfecting wiping down of all in cab/touch point areas before handing off the machine to another operator. Districts will have to allow for more time for this on top of doing pre and post trip checks etc. 

If you are doing your trips just try to bring disinfecting wipes and sanitizer with you. heck I even wipe down a timmies coffee cup with one before drinking from it, better to be safe than sorry. Coming back into the truck i have my sanitizer in my centre console and give a squirt in the hands before even touching my face or to take the mask off and even before touching the door handle to close the door. Yes maybe a bit extreme but again id rather be over cautious than not. 

We will have a good season ahead just have to change some things and use common sense although i know common sense isnt that common now a days. 

Also a tidbit of knowledge from a friend that is one working on a vaccine right now, they have found vitamin D3 does help lesson the affects of covid if you do get it. 

Stay safe all.    

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, SuperG said:

Also a tidbit of knowledge from a friend that is one working on a vaccine right now, they have found vitamin D3 does help lesson the affects of covid if you do get it

Stay safe all.    

Taking daily dose of vitamin D before getting covid is a good idea also, as there is less sunlight for the next few months. 

I found this link on Quebec Rider forum which might come in handy:

https://www.quebec.ca/en/health/health-issues/a-z/2019-coronavirus/progressive-regional-alert-and-intervention-system/map-of-covid-19-alert-levels-by-region/

I have not found anything similar for Ontario except for general information and the heavier infected areas in the GTA and Ottawa.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, slomo said:

Taking daily dose of vitamin D before getting covid is a good idea also, as there is less sunlight for the next few months. 

I found this link on Quebec Rider forum which might come in handy:

https://www.quebec.ca/en/health/health-issues/a-z/2019-coronavirus/progressive-regional-alert-and-intervention-system/map-of-covid-19-alert-levels-by-region/

I have not found anything similar for Ontario except for general information and the heavier infected areas in the GTA and Ottawa.

Wow! Glad we don't have a Gaspe trip planned this year.

"Taking daily dose of vitamin D before getting covid is a good idea"

Thanks SuperG and Slomo. We heard about this a while ago. Taking it daily.

I have taken 1000iu B every day for years.  Vitamin B and 40 Creek is my defense.