2021 SADDLEBAG TRIP PLANNING ISSUES

PISTON LAKE CRUISER

I've started to plan our annual saddlebag trip and a hub stay trip. Like everyone, I'm not sure what this winter is going to do to us given Covid but we need a plan (because we can't fail if we don't have one LOL). In doing some research a friend offered the following information based on 2 saddlebag motorcycle trips he was on this year: 

"It was necessary to make reservation for both lunch and dinner to ensure we could have a restaurant to eat at.  Otherwise, Covid really didn’t impact our biking saddlebag trips at all.  If the Covid restaurant restrictions were to worsen, then meal locations may become a problem.  The only other issue was to find washrooms during our daytime travels.  Lots of places, gas-stations included, had their washrooms closed."

Those trips took the groups through the following places:  Grand Bend, Goderich, Owen Sound , Collingwood, Parry Sound, Sudbury, New Liskeard, Temiscaming, NorthBay, Huntsville, Dorset, Haliburton, Barry's Bay as well as  many others.

The above raises some questions for trip planning. With 32 annual saddlebag trip under our belts, we've never had to deal with lunch reservations or the possibility of having to pack bush squatting paper along with our masks.  Smoothies in SRF comes to mind here.  Could their washrooms be unavailable? Do they take reservations? Would we end up waiting outside in a lineup to get a table?  As has already been mentioned, where do we put our helmet, jacket and gloves when eating? When we fill up the gas tanks at the Esso there, can we just leave our helmet on to go in and pay (for those that use cash) or do we need to take the helmet off and put the mask on before entering?

Maybe virtual saddlebag trips will need to be in our future LOL

• Like 1

I’m hoping lodges will be open in Quebec and Northern Ont.   a good breakfast in one followed by dinner in the next. Take some snacks for during the day

I was part of a couple of late summer bike trips in eastern Ontario and western Quebec and we had no issue finding on the route lunches and suppers. We did however often eat on outdoor patios which will be a bit cold this winter.

51 minutes ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

When we fill up the gas tanks at the Esso there, can we just leave our helmet on to go in and pay (for those that use cash) or do we need to take the helmet off and put the mask on before entering?

Maybe virtual saddlebag trips will need to be in our future LOL

Smooth Rock Esso does not have pay at the pump capability, or at least didn't last March.  So everyone had to go in to pay, and it could get crowded in there.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, GrizzlyGriff said:

I’m hoping lodges will be open in Quebec and Northern Ont.   a good breakfast in one followed by dinner in the next. Take some snacks for during the day

Skipping lunch stops would work well when you are starting at a lodge and possibly when statring at a motel/hotel with attached restaurant.  Not so good for a spot like the Westway in Cochrane. We usually leave there and have breakfast at Smoothies. Will have to be adjustments made for sure.

I really see no reason to fret. Paying for gas while sledding, should be pretty simple.  Faceshield closed, or balaclava should be ok to go in and  pay. If there is too many inside paying, just wait, no big deal. Lunch stops, possibly keeping your helmet on,  and other stuff on until your at the table, then facemasks once your away from the table. We can make this work. Places like Westway, well, timmies, then back to your room. No biggie. Smoothies is currently take out only. Companion Inn, in Hearst,  well once your inside, facemasks on. Again, we can make this season work, with a little common sense and precautions..I am not sure how Disco Night in Hearst this season with Oc member Evil is going to work,  but we will figure something out. I can also see needing to book accommodations sooner, and also realizing rates will most likely be more then last season..

Edited by Turbo Doo
  • Like 2

I may be wrong,  but Gowganda Lake lodge is not making food for guests in cabins right  now. Elk lake wilderness resort is still serving food to cabins..I also seen that Auld reekie lodge has made a large spot for truck and trailer parking. 

Screenshot_20201020-203514_Samsung Internet.jpg

Edited by Turbo Doo
  • Like 1

We are not planning any Quebec trips as of right now this season. But we are for sure making plans to become NCDN  frequent sledding quests this winter..8-)..We plan on riding the NCDN this winter.  If no motels/hotels, we have places to go, if that fails, well, lots of stuff will be for sale. ;)..

Edited by Turbo Doo

I like the plastic bag idea for helmets. 

What's the range on a ski_doo Ace? No need to stop at gas stations, according to the old ads:)

Asking for a friend. 

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Canuck said:

What's the range on a ski_doo Ace? No need to stop at gas stations, according to the old ads:)

Asking for a friend. 

I am almost confident Mrs. Turbo Doo could make Cochrane to Hearst on a tank, if she did not ride with us...8-):baghead:

1 hour ago, Canuck said:

Asking for a friend. 

Xs with 40L tank can get 300 km. I have a 2017 900 ace, grand touring se. In south range goes down with all road crossings. 225 is what I normally see in southern Ontario. 250 is a pretty good average on 40L tank. New one is 36, so you will lose about 40 km of range. Be good to find a left over or slightly used xs with 40L tank. 

Edited by Strong Farmer

3 hours ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

Skipping lunch stops would work well when you are starting at a lodge and possibly when statring at a motel/hotel with attached restaurant.  Not so good for a spot like the Westway in Cochrane. We usually leave there and have breakfast at Smoothies. Will have to be adjustments made for sure.

Bring stuff w you and make sandwiches in your room. Been doing it for years. Bring a crock pot, throw a roast in it and you have a meal ready when you get back. 

• Like 1

20200318_175342.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I cook supper nearly every night of the year,and I'll be damned if I am going to cook when I am staying on a hotel on a sledding trip.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I hope folks are not underestimating the health risks of checking into a different lodging each day....easy to do when you are basing forward planning on that done in the past. If the health techs administering simple flu vaccine shots in drug stores are taking an extra 10 minutes per person to wipe down the room after each patient leaves, consider applying this knowledge to what you may be facing moving into a place off your sled for the evening. 

In addition to wiping down whatever needs wiping down, I will likely be bringing my own sleeping bag / pillows, towels etc. and ensure that no one other than myself will be entering the room during the time I am there. This virus lives on everything. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, slomo said:

I hope folks are not underestimating the health risks of checking into a different lodging each day....easy to do when you are basing forward planning on that done in the past. If the health techs administering simple flu vaccine shots in drug stores are taking an extra 10 minutes per person to wipe down the room after each patient leaves, consider applying this knowledge to what you may be facing moving into a place off your sled for the evening. 

In addition to wiping down whatever needs wiping down, I will likely be bringing my own sleeping bag / pillows, towels etc. and ensure that no one other than myself will be entering the room during the time I am there. This virus lives on everything. 

Getting virus from things or surfaces is difficult. Media is just scaring us. It is a mostly spread by breathing in droplets from an effective person, hence 2 meter distancing.  I asked hotel in Huntsville what the protocol is. They said they had new and improved disinfectants, so they no longer have to let room set empty for 48 hours. Be interesting to hide a camera in one of rooms and see what kind of a cleaning job they are doing. Bottom line is as long as you sanitize your hands and wipe all tables off before you eat your meal, you are good. I bring my own cups and utilizes and plates etec. Don’t use coffee maker without running a disinfect thru it, too. I will be using my own products in room like I always do. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Strong Farmer said:

Getting virus from things or surfaces is difficult. Media is just scaring us. It is a mostly spread by breathing in droplets from an effective person, hence 2 meter distancing.  I asked hotel in Huntsville what the protocol is. They said they had new and improved disinfectants, so they no longer have to let room set empty for 48 hours. Be interesting to hide a camera in one of rooms and see what kind of a cleaning job they are doing. Bottom line is as long as you sanitize your hands and wipe all tables off before you eat your meal, you are good. I bring my own cups and utilizes and plates etec. Don’t use coffee maker without running a disinfect thru it, too. I will be using my own products in room like I always do. 

You will be fine if you Mustard Gas your room.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, T bird said:

Bring stuff w you and make sandwiches in your room. Been doing it for years. Bring a crock pot, throw a roast in it and you have a meal ready when you get back. 

Good idea for the hub/dayride trip but doesn't work so good for saddlebagging. 

3 hours ago, slomo said:

been in a car dealership, service isle lately? the second you get out of your car, they spray your drivers door, seat, steering wheel and dash with a gun that looks a lot like an old high pressure spray paint gun from the body shop, filled with what i assume is an alcohol based fine mist disinfectant. 

when they bring it around to return it to you, they do the same thing. 

everyone is going to have to change their thought process on what they have to do, if they want to sled. you may not be able to use a hotel room just one night, especially in the north.  you may not be going in to pay for fuel, or sitting down in a resto or pub, for ANY MEAL or drinks afterward. and to think you could travel, with a group from different households, who you know, but, dont know their health status but, "trust them" as they are friends, or family... that is what is spreading this now, and keeping the media and govt changing out lives daily. 

Once colds and flu start showing up, and no one can tell the difference again... it will all come to a SCREECHING HALT. 

Ski

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

For all of our saddle bagging trips we have made reservations for meals due to the size of the group (typically 15-22)months prior to the trip. I contact the restaurant well in advance and ask for a simple menu with 2 or 4 options, send out to the guys and set it up with the restaurant . We agree on a time and book accordingly, I always call if possible when we are 40 min out in order to give a heads ups. This has worked well for lunch and supper and guarantees you meals. Last year Ash Grove actually set us up in the rear dining room by ourselves, good for the other patrons and keeps us all together.

• Like 2