Adding Hydraulic Cylinder to Brush Bar

revrnd

Club is thinking of adding a hydraulic cylinder to a Ebert drag to move the brush bar from vertical to retracted (for clearance). If any of you are aware of this being done, could you find out the specs of the cylinder that is being used?

Currently a piece of 3" square tube is used as a 'prop' for both positions.

TIA

1 hour ago, revrnd said:

Club is thinking of adding a hydraulic cylinder to a Ebert drag to move the brush bar from vertical to retracted (for clearance). If any of you are aware of this being done, could you find out the specs of the cylinder that is being used?

TIA

What about a 12 volt dc cylinder. Pretty simple to wire and they are very precise and stay exactly where you leave them with no creep. Good for most medium duty applications. We use more of them today on certain pieces of equipment. Never have trouble with them. 

We have had the brush bar get pretzeled more than a few times when out.  One incident actually twisted the drag frame.  I am not sure how a cylinder would fare in that situation.   We have not attempted it for that reason.

STP uses hydraulic cylinders on all its brush bars.

I'll see if I can get the specs when I get back home.

Contact  snow country district 6 office I would say 95 % of brush bars in our district are hydraulic retractable. Work great we had fixed positions and had lots of damage.  Since retactable no problems

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/15/2020 at 9:15 PM, revrnd said:

TIA

Maybe a call to Ebert Welding in New Liskeard could give you some specs.  Or a  drag manufacturer..:poke2:..

15 hours ago, old sledhead said:

Contact  snow country district 6 office I would say 95 % of brush bars in our district are hydraulic retractable. Work great we had fixed positions and had lots of damage.  Since retactable no problems

Likewise-Muskoka Sno-Bombers-District 7-much better since arms went retractable!

• Thanks 1

We installed the hydraulic cylinder on our drag a couple years ago.  Works great (with an attentive operator) as we have it set to extend to about 10 degrees past vertical and it cuts way more.  Can retract in to better balance the drag on side slopes and to avoid trees, later in season, or with less experienced operators we can leave it retracted in rather than removing like we did in the past.  Not sure on specs for hydraulics.  Ours came from Ebert with the brush bar, sat on a shelf for years as some of the other guys didn't think it was worth installing.   

• Thanks 1

Reach out to Pat from Mazinaw , they have hydraulic, you could also order what you need from Ebert Welding, think the lugs and cylinder cost $255.00. You either need a separate circuit or you will need to install an isolation valve. for the couple times a year you would adjust, I would save your $$$ for something you really need.....

• Thanks 1

Thanks guys for the comments. I'm in process of reaching out to Ebert.