Aubrey Falls / Black Creek Outfitters - 2020-2021 - Season

Dan-Senior

The Aubrey Falls / Black Creek Outfitters area on highway 129, is another early season riding opportunity.  A beautifully secluded, hidden gem in south Algoma that typically is ridable on about the 7th of December, due to adequate snow. 

This is one of a few regions in the Sault Ste. Marie area to receive early snow, unfortunately, it is also one of the last in District 13 to get groomed.   I have been a strong proponent of hoping a Groomer could be stationed at Black Creek Outfitters, then groom in 3 directions, allowing for early season riding.  South-East along the Kindiogami on the Elliot Lake F to highway 546, South-West on the D106 to Conacher Lake and North-West along the D201F.

We need to support small businesses like Black Creek Outfitters and keep alive the uniqueness it brings to District 13.   Its unfortunate this area is not a higher priority on the grooming list.

Chad and I do our part every December removing downed trees from the trails and bring some business by making at least 2 visits in the month.  Attached are photos of Chad, Don and I working on the Black Creek road on December 8th, 2019.

This area will be one of our destinations this upcoming December for some early season riding.

Black Creek Outiftters.jpg

Black Creek 1 -Dan.jpg

Black Creek 1 - Don.jpg

Black Creek 1 - Chad.jpg

Edited by Dan-Senior
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 5

Hi Dan,

Be sure to say hi from Paige and I when you see Jean and Don.

Love the pictures.

We still talk about the day you showed us the way from Elliot Lake to Black Creek without using any OFSC trails.

Never knew there were trapper trails connecting so many lakes like canoe portages. 

Scott

• Thanks 1

December 1st - 2019 - Photos

Some early season riding in the Aubrey Falls / Black Creek area last year.  One photo taken on the Black Creek Road, the other photo, I am scoping out a cross country route via the powerline.

Aubrey Falls Cross Country.jpg

Aubrey Falls - December 1st.jpg

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Blackstar said:

Love this area. Thanks Dan.

X2. Many fond memories of riding up from Elliot Lake with the kids ( teenagers). 

Here's a bit of history on the Elliot Lake F Trail.  When several uranium mines closed in Elliot Lake in 1990, a few thousand men were out of work.  Part of the government funding initiative was to re-train / re-employ mine workers.  One of the sponsored projects deployed was the development of a trail link between Dunlop Lake Lodge and the Kindiogami Road.  One of my friends laid off from the mines helped clear cut that trail.  Obviously some ups and downs and tight corners, but it has improved over time.  Hats off to everyone whoever worked on that trail and continues to do so.   There may be more history, but that is all I know.  I started riding it in the mid 1990's

• Like 5

Is Black Creek open this year?

I don't see any signs of life from Halfway yet.

I contacted Black Creek last week.  Jean indicated it will be business as usual and will be open.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Veteran riders from the 1990's will remember this place.  I took this photo only a few years back as this truck was parked in the bush north of Batchawana Bay, Ontario, which is quite a hike from it's home of Aubrey Falls, Ontario.

Johnny's Truckstop was one of our weekend riding destinations coming in from Sault Ste. Marie or Elliot Lake.

johnnys truckstop.jpg

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Dan-Senior said:

Veteran riders from the 1990's will remember this place.  I took this photo only a few years back as this truck was parked in the bush north of Batchawana Bay, Ontario, which is quite a hike from it's home of Aubrey Falls, Ontario.

Johnny's Truckstop was one of our weekend riding destinations coming in from Sault Ste. Marie or Elliot Lake.

johnnys truckstop.jpg

Ox will like this!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/24/2020 at 9:37 AM, Turbo Doo said:

The place is for sale, right?. I see it was on realtor.ca a few weeks ago..

Listing is no longer online apparently.  I wonder if it sold?  Is it still open?  We rode up from Dunlop Lake Lodge a couple of years ago.  Lovely little plcace....a diamond in the ruff so-to-speak!  Loved it.   A welcome bowl of hot soup of the day.  We took a peek into the cabins - very comfortable indeed!  We talked about one day heading back there to stay a couple of days to ride.  We will need to plan something there maybe next year :icon_steer:

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, AC+YA said:

Ox will like this!

LOL!

Yep!

Parked there many times after the new owner torched it.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Giddy UP said:

Listing is no longer online apparently.  I wonder if it sold?  Is it still open?  We rode up from Dunlop Lake Lodge a couple of years ago.  Lovely little plcace....a diamond in the ruff so-to-speak!  Loved it.   A welcome bowl of hot soup of the day.  We took a peek into the cabins - very comfortable indeed!  We talked about one day heading back there to stay a couple of days to ride.  We will need to plan something there maybe next year :icon_steer:

Yes, new owners.  I have yet to meet them, however, they are very enthusiastic about the upcoming winter season based upon our email conversations and their posts.  They are open.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Dan-Senior said:

Yes, new owners.  I have yet to meet them, however, they are very enthusiastic about the upcoming winter season based upon our email conversations and their posts.  They are open.

👍:woot:👍

38 minutes ago, Ox said:

LOL!

Yep!

Parked there many times after the new owner torched it.

Johnny's Truck Stop - Highway 129 - Aubrey Falls, Ontario

Exactly, just like you said OX, check out the parking lot. Looks like most of the property is being used for storage, with a few buildings active for winter activity.  The main Lodge is gone.

johnnys truck stop.jpg

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Dan-Senior said:

Good news for the area. Wishing them all the best.. Thanks for the updates Dan...

• Like 1

Main lodge has been .... "gone" as you say, since 2003 I think.

Just now, Turbo Doo said:

Good news for the area. Wishing them all the best.. Thanks for the updates Dan...

I swear you don't work :poke2:

• Haha 1