Sault Ste. Marie - 2020-2021 - Season

Dan-Senior

November Riding is fast approaching for north of Sault Ste. Marie.  Based upon my years of record-keeping, the average start date should be approximately November 11th.  

That means 30 Days to go.  The countdown begins.

I will again be running the 440's this year, a legendary tradition that continues.  Not sure who will die first, me or those reliable wedge snowmobiles.

The attached photo below was taken November 10th - 2019.

Wishing everyone a safe 2020-21 season.  Keep in touch.

Dan-Senior

Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario

dan.kachur@email.com

North of Sault Ste. Marie November 10th.jpg

• Like 13

52 minutes ago, Dan-Senior said:

November Riding is fast approaching for north of Sault Ste. Marie.  Based upon my years of record-keeping, the average start date should be approximately November 11th.  

I will again be running the 440's this year, a legendary tradition that continues.  Not sure who will die first, me or those reliable wedge snowmobiles.

Dan-Senior

dan.kachur@email.com

Just awesome.  Thanks for sharing Dan.  Hope all is well with you guys. Love the pic..:drool-1::right_on:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

looking forward to your reports, adventures, and video's. thanks for doing this Dan! Ski

• Thanks 1

Thanks Dan,

Paige and I will be following you from the other side of the border this season.  Missing it already...………..

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Early Snow - North of Sault Ste. Marie

This is projected snow for Friday Night into Saturday (October 17th).  This is obviously going to melt by Saturday, but an interesting preliminary start.  

Oct 17th 2020 Projected.jpg

• Like 5

On 10/11/2020 at 8:18 PM, Dan-Senior said:

Dan-Senior

dan.kachur@email.com

I had 14400 miles on my 1994 xcr 440 before I sold it. Never rebuilt did a track and clutches and drive bearings, voltage regulators, rebuilt fox shocks. I had first year of plastic ski’s and everyone thought I was nuts. (Most people ran steel with skins on them back then) 

• Like 1

North of Sault Ste Marie

A beautiful photo taken by my friend Joey Lethbridge showing how the winter is starting to shape up in the mountains.

Batchawana.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Turbo Doo said:

:drool2::right_on:

Go WEST, young man.

Today's Snowmobile run North of Sault Ste. Marie. This is 2 Weeks earlier than last year. I met quite a few hunters and chatted with several. All were running side-by-sides or ATV. I was the only sled.

5.jpg

4.jpg

3.jpg

2.jpg

1.jpg

• Like 6

That's gotta be hard on your ski runners!

14 hours ago, Dan-Senior said:

Today's Snowmobile run North of Sault Ste. Marie. This is 2 Weeks earlier than last year. I met quite a few hunters and chatted with several. All were running side-by-sides or ATV. I was the only sled.

5.jpg

4.jpg

3.jpg

2.jpg

1.jpg

Awesome,  just awesome.  Thanks for sharing Dan..:right_on:

14 hours ago, Ox said:

Meh, wear & tear items, easily replaced....:coffeenose:

I remember many years ago when we would chase the early snow and ride on marginal conditions, never thought of anything but the enjoyment of getting out early, while some would suggest we were crazy....those were good times and great memories!

Well, romping through the bush - not so concerned.

But running down the road is a horse of a differ'nt colour.

I took the "shortcut" trail up to Halfway last spring - and I'm sure that I have deeper keels than most of you - but I was clipping stones a lot.

And there was a lot more snow on those roads than there is in this pic.

I don't think that my boy's dual runner Doo skis (Simmons knock-offs) ever hit anything tho.

On 10/25/2020 at 8:27 PM, Dan-Senior said:

5.jpg

4.jpg

3.jpg

2.jpg

1.jpg

Thanks for sharing Dan, hope to see you this winter at some point, I clicked on the link to your site, very impressive. It is now on my favourites toolbar.

Ox said:

I hear you Ox, I use the previous season runners until December of each year, then slap on a new pair.  They are not that expensive for the wedge sleds. I took the photo of the 2 side-by-sides while I was in my truck coming off the higher elevations into the valley.  There was more snow in the higher locations.

Signfan said:

How much snow is on the ground?

It varies within a few miles of one point to another, but up to 6” in some places, while less in others.  Warmer temperatures have taken some of that snow away by now.

Stoney said:

Meh, wear & tear items, easily replaced....

I remember many years ago when we would chase the early snow and ride on marginal conditions, never thought of anything but the enjoyment of getting out early, while some would suggest we were crazy....those were good times and great memories!

Sounds like some great times and memories to go with it. Yes, this has been a tradition of mine for more than 25 years.  Its exciting to get out and get an early start to the season, especially the comfortable weather to ride in.

Nunz said:

Thanks for sharing Dan, hope to see you this winter at some point, I clicked on the link to your site, very impressive. It is now on my favourites toolbar.

Thanks Nunz, I too am looking forward to meeting up again this winter.  I am glad you enjoyed the website, I use it daily to track early season riding opportunities.  The overall combination of tools and links helps narrow down snow conditions. 

Edited by Dan-Senior

• 3 weeks later...

Sault Ste. Marie

Tuesday November 17th Updates

ssm-snow.jpg

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

Sault Ste. Marie - Updates - December 1st

Nothing to report this week, except for green grass.  Earth must have tilted.

sault ste marie dec 1st.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 1