Wing Night Friday Oct 2

Blackstar

14 hours ago, Blackstar said:

Alcohol is gone for good. The new owner of the property  couldn't get insurance coverage with us having a liquor license.  It was time for us to renew the license and our own insurance, stack Covid on top and it was done deal. No more alcohol.

Milverton ran all of last year without a bar.

I'm not sure that it hurt sales at all.

Only difference is that the bar tab usually covered the rent, now we have to pay it.  (Sell pop instead to help offset that)

16 hours ago, Strong Farmer said:

Thanks for update. I know you and your wife and rest of gang work hard to keep this place open. Is Ed still around as well? 

Ed is renting the house back from the owner for now and still helping with the clubhouse.

Wing Night for January has been cancelled. February's Wing Night will be discussed at our next meeting. As I assumed, there are not enough positives to over come the negative currently.

Edited by Blackstar

10 hours ago, Dave K said:

Milverton ran all of last year without a bar.

I'm not sure that it hurt sales at all.

Only difference is that the bar tab usually covered the rent, now we have to pay it.  (Sell pop instead to help offset that)

I know you did Dave.

Not that I need to be discuss all  our club's financials on a public forum but we basically had our Wing Nights and help from the businesses who hang signs on the clubhouse walls as predictable income. At the end of most years we would break even, give or take a couple hundred dollars. Our "profits" came from opening the clubhouse on the weekends when trails were open (which hasn't happened much in the last 5-6 years). Without the alcohol sales, we are in the red by a fair margin. Making $.60 on a can of pop is not going to cover the losses from those sales.

We are in a state of on going negotiations with the new property owner as we try to adjust to the changes.

• Sad 1

15 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

I know you did Dave.

Not that I need to be discuss all  our club's financials on a public forum but we basically had our Wing Nights and help from the businesses who hang signs on the clubhouse walls as predictable income. At the end of most years we would break even, give or take a couple hundred dollars. Our "profits" came from opening the clubhouse on the weekends when trails were open (which hasn't happened much in the last 5-6 years). Without the alcohol sales, we are in the red by a fair margin. Making $.60 on a can of pop is not going to cover the losses from those sales.

We are in a state of on going negotiations with the new property owner as we try to adjust to the changes.

We used to have a Labour Day Fri. aft. golf tourney [pre-covid] + raffle-brought in 10/11 g's per year!

28 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

I know you did Dave.

What about raising membership fees? That doesn’t help with all members that sign up to get parking pass? 

On 12/9/2020 at 12:18 PM, Turbo Doo said:

Definitely sucks to hear. And i will add,  to the guys Drinking and smoking weed in the lineup waiting for the wings, un masked also, sure doesn't help the situation either.  :banghead:... Really turned me off...

Ahhhh younger guys? Usually regulars are pretty good guys.

On 12/9/2020 at 12:18 PM, Turbo Doo said:

Definitely sucks to hear. And i will add,  to the guys Drinking and smoking weed in the lineup waiting for the wings, un masked also, sure doesn't help the situation either.  :banghead:... Really turned me off...

I wasn't aware that was happening, please except my apologizes on behalf of the club. I will bring it up at the next meeting.

It is disappointing that the relaxation of the Marijuana laws has lead people to believe they can smoke anywhere and anytime that they like.

39 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

I wasn't aware that was happening, please except my apologizes on behalf of the club. I will bring it up at the next meeting.

It is disappointing that the relaxation of the Marijuana laws has lead people to believe they can smoke anywhere and anytime that they like.

Its all good.  With everything that is going on,  i just don't think the club,  or any   club needs this happening.  Doesn't do the sport any good. Don't get me wrong,  i am all for having a good time, but.......

• Like 1

Being private property they have the right to simply say it's not allowed and ban anyone who doesn't want to comply. A friend of mine has a privately owned campground. It's family oriented with lots of kids. He's up front about it and weed is simply not allowed. Don't like it don't stay or leave.  

41 minutes ago, 02Sled said:

Being private property they have the right to simply say it's not allowed and ban anyone who doesn't want to comply. A friend of mine has a privately owned campground. It's family oriented with lots of kids. He's up front about it and weed is simply not allowed. Don't like it don't stay or leave.  

Yeah we had a catching crew show up high and smoking weed one night. I was told

i had to let them Work and no alternative crew was available. So I decided to put chickens back on feed and water and told everyone to go home. I don’t need someone falling off a truck or ramp working at night. Was never an issue before weed become Legalized. Brutal. Told them to never send that crew again. 

4 hours ago, Strong Farmer said:

Yeah we had a catching crew show up high and smoking weed one night. I was told

i had to let them Work and no alternative crew was available. So I decided to put chickens back on feed and water and told everyone to go home. I don’t need someone falling off a truck or ramp working at night. Was never an issue before weed become Legalized. Brutal. Told them to never send that crew again. 

My neighbour used to have a couple of East Side Mario's-said his kitchen staff was often high & worked their best when they were!

8 hours ago, Muskoka1 said:

My neighbour used to have a couple of East Side Mario's-said his kitchen staff was often high & worked their best when they were!

Yes but if you know they are and something happens, then you are in big trouble. This is going to be a big issue going forward. If someone burns themselves are frier and has to go to hospital, then it becomes a work place accident investigation and a loss time accident. Both will cause insurance rates to go up. 

Edited by Strong Farmer

1 hour ago, Strong Farmer said:

Yes but if you know they are and something happens, then you are in big trouble. This is going to be a big issue going forward. If someone burns themselves are frier and has to go to hospital, then it becomes a work place accident investigation and a loss time accident. Both will cause insurance rates to go up. 

Part of the reason he 'used to' own them!

• 5 weeks later...

I wasn't able to make Tuesday's club meeting but I'm told that the wing night for February is cancelled and most likely March will be too unless something changes.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Blackstar said:

I wasn't able to make Tuesday's club meeting but I'm told that the wing night for February is cancelled and most likely March will be too unless something changes.

Makes sense.

Milvy Club wont be hosting anything this winter either.  Maybe do something in the summer, but nothing for now.