Sudbury for hubbing

soupkids

Good place to stay for day rides.

You can go in any direction for a day ride.

Only problem is trailside accommodations, not a lot of options.

Here's a report from the Norvic Motel last year - you can see my motel box stuff there as well, as I make the room 'my own':

I like the Windy Lake motel as well:

https://www.windylakemotel.com

There is the Motel 6 on the trail:

https://www.motel6.com/en/motels.on.sudbury.5732.html?lid=Local_Milestone_5732&travelAgentNumber=TA001305&corporatePlusNumber=CP792N5W&utm_source=google my business&utm_medium=listing&utm_campaign=visit website

Big question is, do they groom the trails?  Last experience there was dismal!  Maybe from these 'out of town' motels the trails are better maintained?

1 hour ago, sledjunk said:

Big question is, do they groom the trails?  Last experience there was dismal!  Maybe from these 'out of town' motels the trails are better maintained?

Trails where much better from the hotels last year.

Only Snowmobile trip I have ever been on, was to Sudbury.  Stayed at the Moonlight.  Clean rooms, Trail right to the door, Royal Next door, and gas just a few minutes away on the trail.

Also, I had an awesome tourguide for the day show me around.  (Thanks Soupkids)

Definitely will be back again some day.

23 minutes ago, Dave K said:

Only Snowmobile trip I have ever been on, was to Sudbury.  Stayed at the Moonlight.  Clean rooms, Trail right to the door, Royal Next door, and gas just a few minutes away on the trail.

What happened to Huntsville trip last year. Did you have to bail? 
sudbury is good area to ride. I prefer to drop at shop and ride to Elliot lake, stay over and ride back. If you ever get chance it is a wicked ride. 

Edited by Strong Farmer

1 hour ago, Dave K said:

Moonlight and Chateau Guay right next door....was hoping for an update on these two as had heard the Chateau Guay has been sold or was being torn down to make way for a new gambling establishment. Trail to these has been questionable at times. Have had good stays at Moonlight - larger kitchenette rooms have come in handy. Ahh...:-?... you mean Royal Distributing..just down the road.

54 minutes ago, Strong Farmer said:

What happened to Huntsville trip last year. Did you have to bail? 
sudbury is good area to ride. I prefer to drop at shop and ride to Elliot lake, stay over and ride back. If you ever get chance it is a wicked ride. 

Trails were open around home, so we decided to stay home and ride instead

24 minutes ago, Dave K said:

Trails were open around home, so we decided to stay home and ride instead

Last year was a funny winter. Hopefully this year we get our usually 6 to 8 weeks back. Hoping to make run to Tobermory and back from wiraton. Been ok bucket list for years, but getting weather to co-operate is a real challenge last few winters. That is one of few rides I have never done. Tried once and was too stormy so had to turn around and ride south that day. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Strong Farmer said:

Last year was a funny winter. Hopefully this year we get our usually 6 to 8 weeks back. Hoping to make run to Tobermory and back from wiraton. Been ok bucket list for years, but getting weather to co-operate is a real challenge last few winters. That is one of few rides I have never done. Tried once and was too stormy so had to turn around and ride south that day. 

I did this run last year, parked the trailer at the high school.   We got a late start, around 13:00hr, did the run up to the Tub and back, getting to the trailer around 22:00hr.   The trails were great and we had them to ourselves.

On the way back just before Wiarton, my buddy in the lead hit a wet area.  It was dark, (pitch black is a better description) and we couldn't see the end of it, he stopped and got stuck.   Stopped because we had never been in this area, didn't know how deep it was going to get (about 8" where he was), and didn't know how far it would continue.  Took us about 15 minutes to get him out, I was okay as I was far enough back to stop before hitting the water.

Just as we were ready to backtrack and take an alternate route, 3 sleds manned by young'ns blasted through the water hazard like it was nothing.   Another lesson learned, when in doubt....pin it....lol

Really enjoyed this trail.   Probably do an overnighter next time.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, slomo said:

Moonlight and Chateau Guay right next door....was hoping for an update on these two as had heard the Chateau Guay has been sold or was being torn down to make way for a new gambling establishment. Trail to these has been questionable at times. Have had good stays at Moonlight - larger kitchenette rooms have come in handy. Ahh...:-?... you mean Royal Distributing..just down the road.

Both are still open.

I think the CG was sold but nothing has changed at it.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, soupkids said:

Both are still open.

I think the CG was sold but nothing has changed at it.

Day trips from the STP yard for us last year. Great days, especially with Soup leading. Hope that trails from these 2 hotels open next year.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Candubrain said:

I did this run last year, parked the trailer at the high school.   We got a late start, around 13:00hr, did the run up to the Tub and back, getting to the trailer around 22:00hr.   The trails were great and we had them to ourselves.

On the way back just before Wiarton, my buddy in the lead hit a wet area.  It was dark, (pitch black is a better description) and we couldn't see the end of it, he stopped and got stuck.   Stopped because we had never been in this area, didn't know how deep it was going to get (about 8" where he was), and didn't know how far it would continue.  Took us about 15 minutes to get him out, I was okay as I was far enough back to stop before hitting the water.

Just as we were ready to backtrack and take an alternate route, 3 sleds manned by young'ns blasted through the water hazard like it was nothing.   Another lesson learned, when in doubt....pin it....lol

Really enjoyed this trail.   Probably do an overnighter next time.

Let me you know if you are going this year. Water can be a challenge in area. Near mark dale can be bad too. Seen a picture of a guy on a doo all smashed up doing a water crossing some where in district 9. Trail took a corner in bush and was all full of water. Slammed right into tree where trail turned. Locals new to run road to go around. Last year I turned around on one trail that was full of water. Looked like 2” of ice and a few feet of water blow with frozen tracks down the middle. Not fun by any means, when by yourself. 

Edited by Strong Farmer
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Strong Farmer said:

Let me you know if you are going this year. Water can be a challenge in area. Near mark dale can be bad too. Seen a picture of a guy on a doo all smashed up doing a water crossing some where in district 9. Trail took a corner in bush and was all full of water. Slammed right into tree where trail turned. Locals new to run road to go around. Last year I turned around on one trail that was full of water. Looked like 2” of ice and a few feet of water blow with frozen tracks down the middle. Not fun by any means, when by yourself. 

Certainly will....but I need to forewarn you.....Ive got a bad memory

1 hour ago, Strong Farmer said:

No worries. I can ride only mid week in winter though. 

Generally thursdays and fridays for me.   I'm retired, but my wife isn't so I do as I'm told on wknds

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Soup, Did the railway come in to an agreement re insurance?

I know the conservation authourity down here did not.

I'm not sure.

• Thanks 1