Timmins for 'Hubbing'

revrnd

Rather than hijack the other thread, I figured I'd start a new 1. In 2018 SJ, irREVerent & I did 4 days of riding out of Timmins. It wasn't the 'perfect' ride in 4 different directions, but it was close.

From there you can ride:

West to Foleyet for lunch & fuel

South to Gogama (T-C-P) for lunch. I think Nunz & Mrs Nunz planned to loop thru Shining Tree but the mileage is a bit much for the terrain/trails

North to Cochrane This can be done either as an out & back or 3 different loops (via SRF & back A106C, via Iroquois Falls & back A106C, via SRF and IF)

East to Matheson (lunch @ Northern Delight Restaurant) This ride is weather dependent due to the road running west of Val Gagne.

• Like 3

Great idea for thread     I had been thinking of a rap tour but riding from a hub was considered.  We may now consider Pembroke as hub. Easy 3 or 4 day loops in area. The guys are seeing alot of benefits for a trip like this. 

2 hours ago, volunteer2 said:

Great idea for thread     I had been thinking of a rap tour but riding from a hub was considered.  We may now consider Pembroke as hub. Easy 3 or 4 day loops in area. The guys are seeing alot of benefits for a trip like this. 

Quality Inn in Petawawa is also particularly well placed. 

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, slomo said:

Quality Inn in Petawawa is also particularly well placed. 

As someone mentioned, it would be nice to look at the interactive guide to bookmark suggestions like this. Look at surrounding trails, access, loops, etc. Heck, starting the guide early in the fall would allow the ' kinks' to be worked out now, rather than in - season. 

I get the landowner argument about not running it all summer ( ATV's)  ... but judging by the lack of traffic after the long weekend ( highway and trail ) wouldn't mid September/ early October be a good launch date? 

Thanks for Pettawwa suggestion, Slomo. Filed away in the slow cooker, so to speak.

No problem! Another idea.... As a landowner in Newfoundland (needed to get in) I am also considering a two week quarantine on the west coast of the province in an airbnb special. There is usually 7 or 8 feet of snow there just before the pagan holiday of Christmas.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

You're just making yourself hard to find, Slomo.  :)  STG perfected that routine years ago, (the bridge is out, moat's filled, wish your were here maybe not the last one )

Enjoy the season ahead in Ontario , the Rock and environs between.

5 hours ago, Canuck said:

As someone mentioned, it would be nice to look at the interactive guide to bookmark suggestions like this. Look at surrounding trails, access, loops, etc. Heck, starting the guide early in the fall would allow the ' kinks' to be worked out now, rather than in - season. 

I get the landowner argument about not running it all summer ( ATV's)  ... but judging by the lack of traffic after the long weekend ( highway and trail ) wouldn't mid September/ early October be a good launch date? 

Thanks for Pettawwa suggestion, Slomo. Filed away in the slow cooker, so to speak.

Won't happen, Fall right till the snow flies is a very popular time for the atv crowd to get rides in and also with Hunting season starting up.

1 hour ago, Nunz said:

Won't happen, Fall right till the snow flies is a very popular time for the atv crowd to get rides in and also with Hunting season starting up.

In China, headlights were prohibited - without lights, cars proceeded slowly. There were fewer night time accidents.

Hunters have access to reams of ( free ) online maps. To penalize sledders so that others don't use our maps seems like the one dimensional thinking, above.

It's an old topic, no desire to rehash. We were landowners, granting trail rights (trail closed when gas station closed). No-one ever provided an FAQ stating that digital rights would be withheld. Maps were ready for fall sled ( and ATV ) show. Freely distributed. Let the planning begin ( for us ). Grab and ride ( apparently ) for Atv'ers under this model.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, revrnd said:

Rather than hijack the other thread, I figured I'd start a new 1. In 2018 SJ, irREVerent & I did 4 days of riding out of Timmins. It wasn't the 'perfect' ride in 4 different directions, but it was close.

From there you can ride:

West to Foleyet for lunch & fuel

South to Gogama (T-C-P) for lunch. I think Nunz & Mrs Nunz planned to loop thru Shining Tree but the mileage is a bit much for the terrain/trails

North to Cochrane This can be done either as an out & back or 3 different loops (via SRF & back A106C, via Iroquois Falls & back A106C, via SRF and IF)

East to Matheson (lunch @ Northern Delight Restaurant) This ride is weather dependent due to the road running west of Val Gagne.

We have done this 4 day hub many many times, always good!

• Like 1

Another hub location that I like is Kapuskasing.  It is a further drive, but from there you can easily ride the many Moonbeam loops, day ride to Cochrane for lunch, day ride to Hearst for lunch via L123 and L151? and return on A.  I have based there a few times, particularly at end of season..

Kap also has a number of restaurants that deliver or are cab accessible.  The delivery might be more important this year with the reduced seating in the restaurants.  When I go to a hub, I always have a set of plates and cutlery in the truck for take out foods.

Like I said, it is a longer drive, 1.5 hours past Cochrane, but well worth it. IMO.

• Like 3

On 9/16/2020 at 10:09 PM, sledjunk said:

I always have a set of plates and cutlery in the truck for take out foods.

Like I said, it is a longer drive, 1.5 hours past Cochrane, but well worth it. IMO.

Concur 100%. Two good motels with decent prices with park out your door access and a couple of better hotels for nicer if required. Here's a list of what's in our "motel box" which might be helpful:

We squeeze all this into a plastic tub with snap lid - 17.5 inches wide, 23 inches long 15 inches high.

-1 liter kettle

-full size coffee maker (those ones supplied aren't worth the bother to even fill)&filters

-toaster (operate in such a way not to set off smoke alarm)

-2 melmac plates (the green camping ones of your youth, microwave safe and won't break if dropped)

-2 melmac bowls

-2 forks, 2 spoons, 1 butter knife, 1 paring knife, fish filleting knife for the tougher things to cut (or for cleaning fish)

-2 large stainless steel tall mugs (usually kept in the truck for coffee stops along the way)

-2 plastic stacking cups

-can opener

-wine bottle opener

-the above is kept in a plastic milk bag pouring container.(usually carry milk in emptied plastic juice bottles - Ocean Spray bottles are the best for durability - milk and juice can be frozen ahead of time for keeping your cooler cool while in the room. As for ice, best thing to use is wide mouth spagetti sauce bottles (Ragu RIP) as you can refill them from a motel ice cube machine.

-various extension cords and multi connectors (older motel wiring inadequate, helps set up applicances, chargers, laptops etc.) Enables shutting off some things to 

use kettle or coffee maker without blowing a fuse.

-jar of peanut butter, small tub margarine, small tub honey (won't spoil without refridgeration, thaws out well if frozen in vehicle)

-use empty plastic peanut butter jars ...kraft or skippy's...hold sugar for coffee, tea bags, ground coffee

PRO TIP - at home prior to your trip, get 1 kg container of Melitta coffee (sale price 12.97) and 1 bag of strong ground starbucks.(sale price 7.99)  Mix well in a ratio of 1 bag to 1 can and put in peanut butter jars with a plastic coffee measure spoon. One spoon full per cup in the basket plus one for the pot. You'll get some premium tasting coffee to get your day off to a good start.

-lipton cup of soup various flavours although chicken seems the best - good with a sandwich

-Via instant coffee packs - tastes almost like fresh brewed for those afternoon pickup after a nap.

-small packets of condiments, salt and pepper shakers

-use a couple of snap lid tupperware to hold some of the stuff - comes in handy for left over delivery pizza, chinese food etc.

-small container dish soap (also works as shampoo if revrnd finds no bath products in room) quick dry towel and wash cloth.

-roll of saran wrap. 

-also have a small microwave if none is supplied with room. Inside keep oven mitts, stir spoon, cardboard shield for glass rotating dish

-a couple of tins of condensed milk will keep forever if not opened or for several days if opened and covered - beats the powder coffee creamer.

A couple of other things to keep in the truck if you find yourself stranded in an area in which the hydro is out:

-coleman camp stove and fuel

-fry pan and a couple of pots to boil water and warm food

-camp lamp - naptha fuel

-at least 2 full 20 liter gas cans and a siphon to drain the sleds for the truck- no pumps will be working.

See if anyone else can add some more ideas either here or somewhere else. If I think of anything further, I'll add it later.

-forget pyrex casserole dish in motel box - put small items in it when packing - can be used for microwave cooking kraft dinner etc.

Edited by slomo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, signfan said:

Lol.  So much for "the only thing a snowmobilier carries with them is their wallett"

In the words of Napoleon upon the return of his troops from Moscow..."Une armée marche sur le ventre".

Great list and self sufficiency suggestions, Slomo. Thanks. 

5 hours ago, slomo said:

In the words of Napoleon upon the return of his troops from Moscow..."Une armée marche sur le ventre".

I wonder what the other guy that tried to invade the Soviet Union had to say?

On 9/16/2020 at 7:56 AM, volunteer2 said:

Not sure if you saw this last winter.

More opportunities that what I rode. Signage in the Westmeath area a bit sketchy, (ask irREVerent). L127 is road running so I wouldn't have it planned as part of a loop.

Best Western is right beside the Holiday Inn and Irving Big Stop is across the road. Lots of parking.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We have rented a cottages in both Cloyne & Calabogie for a week. Both places are high end with pool table & hot tube. Perfect set up with 4 guys.

Great area for day trips in many directions. Only issue is weather the snow cooperates. 

2 minutes ago, KW Mike said:

We have rented a cottages in both Cloyne & Calabogie for a week. Both places are high end with pool table & hot tube. Perfect set up with 4 guys.

Great area for day trips in many directions. Only issue is weather the snow cooperates. 

Shhh.  There isn't good riding in this area.  :)

8 hours ago, KW Mike said:

Would you mind sharing these places? We stayed in a cabin at this place last year and liked the trails very much:

https://www.mazinawlakesideresort.com

Cabin was OK for the guys and as ms. slomo and I have put up with much worse in the NWT, she could put up with it as well. Should we return to the area, would appreciate a bit more upscale next time.

Sadly, one of the owners died while we were there so a report on the place seemed unfair. 

Just for fun, here's another good place for a base for tours right across the road from the trail in Hawkesbury - a little run down, but lots of parking (around back) and conveniences. 

https://www.choicehotels.com/ontario/hawkesbury/quality-inn-hotels/cna52?mc=llyxcncnnbl&pmf=canada

BTW- if on your way to destinations in Quebec north of the St. Lawrence river, this is a good place to keep in mind. Leave work from Toronto or points west, stay here over night, cross over into Quebec, follow highway 50 or 148 east to hwy 15 to hwy 158 and avoid the multi lane mess around Montreal. You can go south to highway 40 once past or continue on 158. It is a two lane highway that moves pretty quickly in most places. 

• Like 1

I'll see if I can find the info, ones at the south end of Lower Mazinaw  Lake and the one in Calabogie is walking distance to the ski hill.

My son is starting 3 years of college in Owen Sound , 4 hour drive for me. Trying to plan some hub trips and really missing the ITG. Just upgraded trailer yesterday. 

https://www.cottagesincanada.com/29121

this is the place on Mazinaw, he has two rentals side by side, both beautiful. 

• Thanks 1