Elk Lake - Earlton Area

Fuse6

Never rode this area before.

ls there enough loop options to ride 4-5 days out of one location. 

What are the trail conditions normally like for this area and grooming frequency.

Any suggestions for lodging? Prefer cabins or chalets for 7-8 guys.

TIA

I would think that Earlton would be a better spot to start loops from as there are more trails in that area than Elk Lake.  Are you looking for a place to rent with no meals included?

• Like 1

Flexible on the meals. 

Meal package would be fine or we can do meals on our own.

Priority is a comfortable place for group guys to sit around in evenings, wood fireplace would be nice. 

Something better than 7-8 sitting in one motel room every night socializing.

Other option is go to Mekoos (Mont Laurier, QC) for 4-5 days. Ridden here several times. 

12 minutes ago, Fuse6 said:

Flexible on the meals. 

Meal package would be fine or we can do meals on our own.

Priority is a comfortable place for group guys to sit around in evenings, wood fireplace would be nice. 

Something better than 7-8 sitting in one motel room every night socializing.

Other option is go to Mekoos (Mont Laurier, QC) for 4-5 days. Ridden here several times. 

Meals are good there and will do meal plans no problem or lend you bbq and get food of your choice too. They have general store on property which is real handy. They have good size cottages That area would be fun for approx 3 days, unless you can do one or two nights to North or south. North bay is a nice ride and stay one night and come back or Sudbury. Terrain is real nice in elk lake area. I prefer it over far north. Heading south is an amazing ride. You would enjoy it I think. Other people will chime in. 

Edited by Strong Farmer
  • Like 1

https://www.auldreekielodge.com/index.htm is another lodging option in the area I've heard good things about.  Have also seen https://www.elklakewilderness.com advertised by OSM.  In 4 - 5 days you're gonna ride out any destination and will be doubling up on some trails.  Mont Laurier area is great too.  You will probably find the Elk Lake area a touch quieter.  Both are great choices.  I would expect similar weather, terrain and trail conditions at both.  More grooming at Mont Laurier, but they have the traffic to match that which means they need more grooming.

Another option is to try and plan big loop starting from elk lake, to moose horn lodge, to Dubrevuille (magpie relay) then to Hearst companion or queens (companion has garage) and then back to elk lake) That’s a nice ride if you can get accomdations and meals. Add a day and do canyon loop if available and back to Cochrane. Then next day back to elk lake. I am pretty sure the loop will be available and accdomdation partners will welcome you and your group. Good luck! 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Fuse6 said:

Never rode this area before.

ls there enough loop options to ride 4-5 days out of one location. 

What are the trail conditions normally like for this area and grooming frequency.

Any suggestions for lodging? Prefer cabins or chalets for 7-8 guys.

TIA

Hey Steve hope all is good with you and the fam.  We stopped saddle bagging and started hubbing out of one place a few years ago, after getting tired of keeping a pace. Great chance to check out all the local trails and loops, and other local attractions you passed right on by trying to make it on time to your next destination before dark. 

We've been using New Liskeard as a hub at least once a season for the past 3 years. Lots of good long and short day options out of there and/or Kirkland Lake. Even the ride out to Gowganda and back with a little change up coming back into town is a great day of riding. We usually just stay at the Quality Inn for convenience, but lots of options for what your looking for in the surrounding area. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Strong Farmer said:

Another option is to try and plan big loop starting from elk lake, to moose horn lodge, to Dubrevuille (magpie relay) then to Hearst companion or queens (companion has garage) and then back to elk lake) That’s a nice ride if you can get accomdations and meals. Add a day and do canyon loop if available and back to Cochrane. Then next day back to elk lake. I am pretty sure the loop will be available and accdomdation partners will welcome you and your group. Good luck! 

I think he wants to be in one place, not saddle bagging.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Strong Farmer said:

Have you ridden the loop you are suggesting?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

Have you ridden the loop you are suggesting?

Yes I rode a similar loop with my dad in 2017. If, C trail is open easy to get back to elk lake from kap or Hearst. That time short cut was closed so we went to Cochrane for night, before heading back to elk lake. 

Edited by Strong Farmer
  • Confused 1

9 hours ago, Strong Farmer said:

Great choice for what the OP has in mind. 

Heck, I've even heard of folks making a day trip up from Sudbury ( and back)...so that's a possibility for this group. At least Rocky's on lake wanipitai ( sp ) for lunch. 

And we stay there every couple of years ( rotate regions). Really enjoy the home cooked meals...but call ahead if you want to work out something else, if possible ( ie fewer meals, etc).

6 minutes ago, Strong Farmer said:

Yes I rode a similar loop with my dad in 2017. If, C trail is open easy to get back to elk lake from kap or Hearst. That time short cut was closed so we went to Cochrane for night, before heading back to elk lake. 

You and your dad must have ridden very fast. I'm thinking Elk Lake to Chapleau is a 12 hour trip if you don't stop to eat and Hearst to Elk Lake is a 10+ hour trip with no stopping to eat.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

You and your dad must have ridden very fast. I'm thinking Elk Lake to Chapleau is a 12 hour trip if you don't stop to eat and Hearst to Elk Lake is a 10+ hour trip with no stopping to eat.

We stayed in Timmins first night, then moose horn, then dub, then Hearst, then Cochrane then back to elk lake. C trail was closed then from kap side to Timmins otherwise I could have made kap from dub and bs l to elk lake in a day less from kap. I ran into riders at Hearst that left Kirkland lake and where headed to dub for night and it was already 5 pm. Told me they had two days to do loop. 

Edited by Strong Farmer

We are staying at Elk Lake Wilderness Lodge very soon, I can let u know how it was. Can’t really comment on doing loops out of there by sled but I’d agree with Nutter that NL might have better options all depending on the distances u travel in a day 

• Thanks 1

You could also look into Golden Eagle Camp, just north of Elk Lake. Stayed there this summer, nice environment for travel.  Ownership changed there 3 years ago but the owner prior used to do the grooming on proximate trails. I would double check though the web site, which advertises 3 cabins open in the winter, has not changed since. It is unfortunate that the OFSC can't show the trail map at this time as not sure how the day loop potential is from that location. The owners at Gowganda Lake camp are the hardest working owners I have ever met and do a lot of trail work as well.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Nunz said:

We are staying at Elk Lake Wilderness Lodge very soon, I can let u know how it was. Can’t really comment on doing loops out of there by sled but I’d agree with Nutter that NL might have better options all depending on the distances u travel in a day 

Only issue with NL is it can get drifted in bad in windy stormy weather in open areas. I spend extra hour driving to elk lake at least. Much better. 

'Cabins' @ GLC are nicely sized for socializing. 

On 9/15/2020 at 6:02 AM, Nunz said:

IIRC cabin 10 is next to the rv pumpout - just saying......

1544915377_cabin10.jpg.e2aff9c47ee93969461ca6f2bf02c86f.jpg

The 'winter' page has a list of possible targets for touring....I am flummoxed by the "you won't be sharing your place with strangers?" notation .......experienced this in single motel remote communities in the Northwest Territories, but unheard of anywhere else in Canada. Strange.

query.thumb.jpg.22619f682921e3345acc6e8e85735e03.jpg

Looks like some new cobalt mining development in the area. The chip stand in the white building east of Elk Lake is preferred over the portable one by the post office/convenience store near the bridge.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, slomo said:

.I am flummoxed by the "you won't be sharing your place with strangers?" notation .......experienced this in single motel remote communities in the Northwest Territories, but unheard of anywhere else in Canada. Strange.

Not so strange.  They're taking direct aim at Elk Lake Eco Centre.

• Sad 1

17 hours ago, slomo said:

IIRC cabin 10 is next to the rv pumpout - just saying......

1544915377_cabin10.jpg.e2aff9c47ee93969461ca6f2bf02c86f.jpg

The 'winter' page has a list of possible targets for touring....I am flummoxed by the "you won't be sharing your place with strangers?" notation .......experienced this in single motel remote communities in the Northwest Territories, but unheard of anywhere else in Canada. Strange.

query.thumb.jpg.22619f682921e3345acc6e8e85735e03.jpg

Looks like some new cobalt mining development in the area. The chip stand in the white building east of Elk Lake is preferred over the portable one by the post office/convenience store near the bridge.

Thanks Slomo, We have a 3 bedroom cabin booked, can't wait to disappear for a few days and do some exploring and fishing. Hope all is well with you and good to see you back here on the forum.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nunz said:

Thanks Slomo, We have a 3 bedroom cabin booked, can't wait to disappear for a few days and do some exploring and fishing. Hope all is well with you and good to see you back here on the forum.

Have fun! Waking up to the sweet smell of someone emptying "black water" not the best way to start the day! Just happened to be there one day checking out the place and this occurred. Made a note of it in my "vacation" files. 

BTW - just for fun, here is a link to the trans-Newfoundland ATV tour in case you need something else to add to your bucket list:

https://www.crossingnewfoundlandbyatv.com

The guy provides a printable day by day tour book and a map which will open in the free version of Locus. (you also get 3 free maps with Locus) Something to kick around with your gang when you get back in the evening. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Nunz said:

Thanks Slomo. Hope all is well with you and good to see you back here on the forum.

Indeed.