Temiscaming Construction

signfan

38 minutes ago, signfan said:

Anyone know if the construction work in town over the river is completed?  Just wondering if the Quebec club will be able to cross the bridge to groom the Ontario side this winter or not.

According to this Gov't of Canada site  https://iaac-aeic.gc.ca/050/evaluations/proj/80151 the project would take 30 months and started in mid June 2018. That would put completion at the end of this year if on time however it ddidn't likely take Covid into consideration. It does state that it is still "in progress".

Another site  https://www.quebec511.info/Mobile/EtatReseau/Region.aspx?Id=7000&lang=en  says there is still alternating one lane traffic and a reduced trackwidth of 3.03 metres. 

So I guess the answer to your question is no it isn't finished yet.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I was up that way yesterday.  We are now on the new side. The deck is made of wood so I am not sure if studs and carbides will go well.

The new entrance, on the east side is narrow, the trucks are having fun.

If you are pulling a trailer be sure to go wide. 

• Like 1

So i am thinking , just like last season,  that the Temiscaming groomer will not be crossing the bridge, to groom their part. Which in turns means no trail from North bay. That bridge was tight crossing last January when we started our Quebec tour from the Tem Rose. The single lane crossing is too narrow for the groomer and drag to cross. 

3 hours ago, Turbo Doo said:

So i am thinking , just like last season,  that the Temiscaming groomer will not be crossing the bridge, to groom their part. Which in turns means no trail from North bay. That bridge was tight crossing last January when we started our Quebec tour from the Tem Rose. The single lane crossing is too narrow for the groomer and drag to cross. 

Jeff 

We took that trail from North Bay Quite a few years back that has to be a hard trail to Groom that's a big hill coming down into Temiscaming our first time we took that we could not figure out where the trail disappeared then we figured out we had to come across that bridge. 

It's a lot easier to just start from the Temrose that's my favorite place to start our Quebec adventure 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, zrtkat said:

Jeff 

We took that trail from North Bay Quite a few years back that has to be a hard trail to Groom that's a big hill coming down into Temiscaming our first time we took that we could not figure out where the trail disappeared then we figured out we had to come across that bridge. 

It's a lot easier to just start from the Temrose that's my favorite place to start our Quebec adventure 

I agree on your comment coming down the hill. Also, you are soo right about the Tem Rose. Marie, iirc, was the owners name. She is absolutely a fantastic host. Amazing rooms, and the restaurant is spot on. The last few trips out of there, the past several seasons,  one of the waitresses always takes a group picture of us. The Dutchman always has her is tears. Just a great spot imo...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RickOnt said:

Yes. The groomer would likely have an issue.  Is the groomer wider than a transport truck?

Trucks are getting thru but barely.

Probably 9' - 10' wide.  That was the reason it was closed last year.

• 7 months later...
On 10/29/2020 at 4:31 PM, Turbo Doo said:

Yes it was the reason..

Link shows that the work is expected to be complete by July 31,2021.

Are you parking your trucks and trailers at Tem Rose, and leaving them for the week there? I would need space for 3 SUV's and trailers.

Looking into this as an alternate to now flipping from NL down to NB, based on the recent council decision to open more of North Bay to sleds.

Thanks

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Gadgetman said:

Link shows that the work is expected to be complete by July 31,2021.

Are you parking your trucks and trailers at Tem Rose, and leaving them for the week there? I would need space for 3 SUV's and trailers.

Looking into this as an alternate to now flipping from NL down to NB, based on the recent council decision to open more of North Bay to sleds.

Thanks

Yes, we have left from the Tem Rose the last few seasons.  It's a fabulous spot.  There is Tem Rose specific parking just for quests.  We have had ZERO issues. If your thinking about starting in North Bay, remember the trail over to Temiscaming is not ever guaranteed to be open.  IMO, I'd either start in Temiscaming or Liskeard.  Or even Ville Marie. Some guys leave there rigs at the Esso, but your parking there at your own risk. Also, the Auberge Canadian is ok, but not near as nice as the Tem Rose...

Edited by Turbo Doo
  • Like 1

Yes, we have left from the Tem Rose the last few seasons.  It's a fabulous spot.  There is Tem Rose specific parking just for quests.  We have had ZERO issues. If your thinking about starting in North Bay, remember the trail over to Temiscaming is not ever guaranteed to be open.  IMO, I'd either start in Temiscaming or Liskeard.  Or even Ville Marie. Some guys leave there rigs at the Esso, but your parking there at your own risk. Also, the Auberge Canadian is ok, but not near as nice as the Tem Rose...

Is the parking lot at the corner up by the Auberge Canadian still available for trucks and trailers? There was lots of room at it.

Why is that?  Seems a shame that this can't be kept consistently good.  Cross border riding could be awesome hoping back and forth is the connections were prioritized.

18 minutes ago, signfan said:

Why is that?  Seems a shame that this can't be kept consistently good.  Cross border riding could be awesome hoping back and forth is the connections were prioritized.

That trail always has issues with, iirc, the jokco River crossing, and its a tough go for the NB club.  Now that the bridge repairs will look like they are done this summer, maybe the Temiscaming club will groom their side, now that they will be able to cross the bridge with the groomer,  and with any luck, maybe it will be open this coming season. 

40 minutes ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

Is the parking lot at the corner up by the Auberge Canadian still available for trucks and trailers? There was lots of room at it.

We just liked the Tem Rose better. Better food, better rooms, great Canadian/Quebec people...

14 hours ago, Turbo Doo said:

We just liked the Tem Rose better. Better food, better rooms, great Canadian/Quebec people...

Totally agree regarding the Tem Rose. I was just thinking that If Gadgetman has 3 trucks and trailers to leave for a few days that it might be an issue at the Tem Rose.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Turbo Doo said:

On the off chance that you may know how many rooms with two beds they have, I would need 3 rooms with two beds in each room, in other words it is 6 guys, (no couples). The web site isn't clear on how many double bed rooms they have. I'm still awaiting word from the group on switching to TEM from NL. Ups Day 1 to 313KM from 246Km, which is fine. Adds about 38Km to the last day, but landing at TEM puts us in striking distance of trailering home that same day.

Thanks

TEM to VDO.jpg

RN to TEM 242.jpg

41 minutes ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

Totally agree regarding the Tem Rose. I was just thinking that If Gadgetman has 3 trucks and trailers to leave for a few days that it might be an issue at the Tem Rose.

It would be from Sat to the following Friday, and based on my drafts, we would only stay the first night (Sat), and we would pull out Friday, instead of staying that night. Mind you, I find that freeing up rooms on a Friday night during sled season is fine with most places as they have waiting lists. I also figure empty trailer and SUV is less appealing than a sled loaded trailer.

1 hour ago, Gadgetman said:

On the off chance that you may know how many rooms with two beds they have, I would need 3 rooms with two beds in each room, in other words it is 6 guys, (no couples). The web site isn't clear on how many double bed rooms they have. I'm still awaiting word from the group on switching to TEM from NL. Ups Day 1 to 313KM from 246Km, which is fine. Adds about 38Km to the last day, but landing at TEM puts us in striking distance of trailering home that same day.

Thanks

TEM to VDO.jpg

RN to TEM 242.jpg

IIRC, there's more then enough rooms for you guys.  A quick call to verify may be in order,  but I'm pretty sure it's fine for your group.

• Thanks 1

We have left our trailers and rigs for a full week in the past there, no issues at all.

Have arrived with 2 to 3 rigs and room for all....as long as all park smart of course....

As noted, parking down the hill at the gas station has been an option shared, but have never needed too, but when driving by it heading up the hill, it has always tended to be not as busy a spot either.

@Gadgetman - Planning trips in Jun, you are a good man!

6 minutes ago, stoney said:

We have left our trailers and rigs for a full week in the past there, no issues at all.

Have arrived with 2 to 3 rigs and room for all....as long as all park smart of course....

As noted, parking down the hill at the gas station has been an option shared, but have never needed too, but when driving by it heading up the hill, it has always tended to be not as busy a spot either.

@Gadgetman - Planning trips in Jun, you are a good man!

Thanks. Based on the sled sales numbers, I don't think it wise to leave planning until November, like in the past. I figure warm places to sleep may be in very short supply this winter. So, yes, earlier than normal planning. I may also have a busy business travel schedule to the USA in the fall, so banging this off now is better for me.

• Like 1