Permits on sale September 1

Strong Farmer

Permits arrived by Regular mail. 

Looking forward to getting out this winter. Riding promotes well being. Hope that trails open & remain open.

• Like 5

Just looked at the calendar and figured I better get the order processed.....zero issues with the ordering and using the website, even doing the password reset, confirmation emails were sent literally within seconds.

18 minutes ago, Strong Farmer said:

Yeah going to be down no doubt. All of our American friends aren’t going to be buying early this year. Sad times my friend. 

Sales of sleds have taken off... just like boats RV's and other toys. There will be lots of snowbirds that are likely getting back into snowmobiling since they aren't going south and likely buying permits.

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, 02Sled said:

Sales of sleds have taken off... just like boats RV's and other toys. There will be lots of snowbirds that are likely getting back into snowmobiling since they aren't going south and likely buying permits.

Many sectors of the economy are doing well, talking to our local tire service center in Muskoka, snow tire sales are way up as people aren't going south for the winter so if they are staying in Muskoka they will need snow tires. More people moving out of the cities or did not return from the cottage who never needed snow tires need them now.  Another is hot tubs ,  just try and buy one. People are buying things like that, not plane tickets and vacations. So I can see that snowmobile sales could be going up hence permits. People need something to do this winter why not try sledding.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Muskoka Bill said:

Many sectors of the economy are doing well, talking to our local tire service center in Muskoka, snow tire sales are way up as people aren't going south for the winter so if they are staying in Muskoka they will need snow tires. More people moving out of the cities or did not return from the cottage who never needed snow tires need them now.  Another is hot tubs ,  just try and buy one. People are buying things like that, not plane tickets and vacations. So I can see that snowmobile sales could be going up hence permits. People need something to do this winter why not try sledding.

My Doo dealer is pretty much out of sleds.  My 2020 Renny X 900 Turbo was sold before i dropped it off..

Okay, so yes, all other things surrounding the permits are good & looks positive.....but how about what really counts regarding the trail system, and that is the dollars & cents in the system based on permit sales.

Of course the volunteers are equally as important, but with no money to work with, they are not going very far.....

I know the closing date for early season is just past, so still early, but there has to be a pretty good idea already of what the sales were looking like with two months now under the OFSC trail permit buying belt!

1 minute ago, stoney said:

Okay, so yes, all other things surrounding the permits are good & looks positive.....but how about what really counts regarding the trail system, and that is the dollars & cents in the system based on permit sales.

Of course the volunteers are equally as important, but with no money to work with, they are not going very far.....

I know the closing date for early season is just past, so still early, but there has to be a pretty good idea already of what the sales were looking like with two months now under the OFSC trail permit buying belt!

Ofsc just isn’t open about sharing data. If it is positive and permits selling well they will usually share it to media,like they did very first year early discount permits were started. Last few years sales have been down I was told. Nunzio will have info not sure if he can share knowledge either though. Surprise us Mr Polaris 

20 minutes ago, Strong Farmer said:

Ofsc just isn’t open about sharing data. If it is positive and permits selling well they will usually share it to media,like they did very first year early discount permits were started. Last few years sales have been down I was told. Nunzio will have info not sure if he can share knowledge either though. Surprise us Mr Polaris 

Ya, I know it is not openly shared, but I know people are in the know, but also get that some people take this info, twist it for some other agenda that they may have or choose to have when something doesn't go how they think it should as the season unfolds, etc.....

I am hopeful that some good stuff will come out of Covid-19, I know some already has and I am optimistic that sled permits and participation in the sport will be one of those good things....even if US folks cannot contribute, which given the recent number of US folks coming here, cannot see that as being that big of a deal!

13 minutes ago, stoney said:

Ya, I know it is not openly shared, but I know people are in the know, but also get that some people take this info, twist it for some other agenda that they may have or choose to have when something doesn't go how they think it should as the season unfolds, etc.....

I am hopeful that some good stuff will come out of Covid-19, I know some already has and I am optimistic that sled permits and participation in the sport will be one of those good things....even if US folks cannot contribute, which given the recent number of US folks coming here, cannot see that as being that big of a deal!

I was trying to figure it out with permit numbers. Seems highest I could find was 27000. Don’t know anyone that has a permit number higher then that. I searched quite a few sites and lots of people had pics of permit and numbers too. See what number you get. Should be over 30,000 now! 

10 minutes ago, Strong Farmer said:

I was trying to figure it out with permit numbers. Seems highest I could find was 27000. Don’t know anyone that has a permit number higher then that. I searched quite a few sites and lots of people had pics of permit and numbers too. See what number you get. Should be over 30,000 now! 

From what I recall, it is the last day of the early season permit sale where the number of permits bought increases significantly......guys waiting until the last minute....

13 hours ago, Turbo Doo said:

My Doo dealer is pretty much out of sleds.  My 2020 Renny X 900 Turbo was sold before i dropped it off..

Skidoo didn’t make as many units as normal either, because of Covid. My dealer said he was only getting in snow check models and some of what he ordered for stock. Still had 20’s left when I went in last month. He figures be hard to find what you want if buying new now. On a side note all used stuff was gone for first time that I can remember. 

10 hours ago, stoney said:

From what I recall, it is the last day of the early season permit sale where the number of permits bought increases significantly......guys waiting until the last minute....

That’s true and if we get snow early a bunch more will jump in and buy at full price. South been a crap shoot for sledding last 4 or so years. Bottom line need snow early snd for trails to setup and open, then more permits move. Always been that way. 

When I used to go to way more meetings we always had reports of permit sales. Was always given as a report. Of course with covid and restructuring of meeting attendance not as many people are attending meetings. From what I heard D5 has reported very strong permit sales 

1 hour ago, Strong Farmer said:

That’s true and if we get snow early a bunch more will jump in and buy at full price. South been a crap shoot for sledding last 4 or so years. Bottom line need snow early snd for trails to setup and open, then more permits move. Always been that way. 

Actually, we need the ground to freeze up before grooming starts but there is also lot of volunteer work to be done before then.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, volunteer2 said:

When I used to go to way more meetings we always had reports of permit sales. Was always given as a report. Of course with covid and restructuring of meeting attendance not as many people are attending meetings. From what I heard D5 has reported very strong permit sales 

With it being online now vs. buying in your region you ride or wish to support, I would think it is more an overall number regarding permit sales. I know you can select your club though when you buy online.

Regardless though, if there is increase in one district, that is better than a decrease! D5 hasn't exactly seen the greatest of winters/seasons as of late...

1 hour ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

Actually, we need the ground to freeze up before grooming starts but there is also lot of volunteer work to be done before then.

In a perfect world, that would be awesome to have frost before snow, but we know that is usually not the case.

If the cold/frost doesn't come, I will gladly take the snow vs. the cold.....people can ride the snow, cannot ride the cold.

Just might mean the clubs will need more people to pack the trails before the groomers can get out though.

With no frost though, I would imagine private land with crops would be delayed longer though to prevent damage.

Edited by stoney
  • Like 1

Yes the past 5 years in D5 have been tough to keep the sledding desire. Trailer and taking trips now are the way it is.  To hear that permits sales designated to D5 are strong is interesting to hear.  Are people buying and waiting for local snow or are designating local clubs and just travelling. How many are in D5 and designating northern clubs ?  Currently I guess there is no funding to the districts based on permit sales.  Permit sales by postal code would be interesting to see. 

3 hours ago, volunteer2 said:

Yes the past 5 years in D5 have been tough to keep the sledding desire. Trailer and taking trips now are the way it is.  To hear that permits sales designated to D5 are strong is interesting to hear.  Are people buying and waiting for local snow or are designating local clubs and just travelling. How many are in D5 and designating northern clubs ?  Currently I guess there is no funding to the districts based on permit sales.  Permit sales by postal code would be interesting to see. 

I am in the most southern part of D5 which is Glencoe district snowmobile club. The trail is less than 5 mins from my house. I buy permit every year and put it towards my local club. I ride from home when possible but trailer to wherever I have to go. It’s just the way it is and I have no problem with it for a sport I enjoy so much!

• Like 4

19 hours ago, Strong Farmer said:

I have not heard anything about the actual numbers of permit sales at this point. Every club in Ontario is working like crazy trying to get ready for the upcoming season in this crazy world we live in now.

I would expect sales to be decent but there is also quite a few that were going to hold off buying off and paying the full price once they felt the trails would in fact be open.  Sorry haven't been on here very much recently, got lots of stuff on the go with work and such and still trying to enjoy a bit of the fall atv season.  New sled is expected in the next couple of weeks and then wrapping it and getting some things done to it. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Nunz said:

Sorry haven't been on here very much recently, been spending time on the front step in my pajamas, making weather videos for my friends.

Edited by Blake G
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

We were told on Oct 20 via ADSC zoom meeting that District 11 permit sales to date were 30% higher than last year. 

Michael Rickward also commented that Polaris sled sales were up 40%, and they expected there would be no new sleds left in December.

• Like 5