Permits on sale September 1

Strong Farmer

7 hours ago, volunteer2 said:

Yes the past 5 years in D5 have been tough to keep the sledding desire. Trailer and taking trips now are the way it is.  To hear that permits sales designated to D5 are strong is interesting to hear.  Are people buying and waiting for local snow or are designating local clubs and just travelling. How many are in D5 and designating northern clubs ?  Currently I guess there is no funding to the districts based on permit sales.  Permit sales by postal code would be interesting to see. 

We designated all 3 of our permits to the NCDN. Because we mainly ride there...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

You believe wrong, clubs still need to sell permits to have something to base there budget on 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Heard at last night's club meeting that there will be no more paper maps printed, only for the northern areas.   

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Candubrain said:

Heard at last night's club meeting that there will be no more paper maps printed, only for the northern areas.   

Last few years I have just been printing my own from ITG guide. I can print it in colour, so I know what is open and closed. I have it  in a clear tank bag, which is handy. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Turbo Doo said:

We designated all 3 of our permits to the NCDN. Because we mainly ride there...

I am still designating our 2 to Bridgeport   I am still really involved in the club and a landowner   Always hope that the club gets at least enough money to recognize the volunteers and landowners   We did get our trails open off and on the last 5 years especially last year     our riding in the province still changes at this time   

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Candubrain said:

Our club Snowcrest is printing a map again this year. Hcsa is as well 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, whits-end said:

We were told on Oct 20 via ADSC zoom meeting that District 11 permit sales to date were 30% higher than last year. 

Michael Rickward also commented that Polaris sled sales were up 40%, and they expected there would be no new sleds left in December.

:right_on: Very promising news.....on the permit sales, and with still time left to buy the early season.

I wish nothing but the best to the POO owners...... :)

Asking a question - and 100% transparency - it's because I am out of the loop - and quite frankly - too lazy to look........:)

Question - is the Classic Permit gone?

We ordered 3 permits for our regular sleds - but my daughter is legal on the trails and I was wondering what permit to put on her sled - she will use it very very little- but will use the trails sparingly and I don't want her out on the 800's or 600's just yet.

Is there a modified option - or is it full pull or nothing?

Thank you

52 minutes ago, Spiderman said:

Asking a question - and 100% transparency - it's because I am out of the loop - and quite frankly - too lazy to look........:)

Question - is the Classic Permit gone?

We ordered 3 permits for our regular sleds - but my daughter is legal on the trails and I was wondering what permit to put on her sled - she will use it very very little- but will use the trails sparingly and I don't want her out on the 800's or 600's just yet.

Is there a modified option - or is it full pull or nothing?

Thank you

Yep, see the link below.

$150.00 currently for it.

https://www.ofsc.on.ca/permits/

10 minutes ago, stoney said:

Yep, see the link below.

$150.00 currently for it.

https://www.ofsc.on.ca/permits/

Perfect - thanks for the link.

Her sled qualifies - this is a good fit for us.

Cheers,

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Candubrain said:

According to the OFSC October Newsletter only District 3 and District 9 are NOT printing District Guides this year.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, GTC said:

You believe wrong, clubs still need to sell permits to have something to base there budget on 

Actually clubs don't need too sell any permits anymore. There use to be a requirement for a minimum of 50 permit sales in order to be a member club of the OFSC. That was eliminated at AGM 2 years ago. Further, District Funding (and by extension club funding) is determined by Km of Trails, Hours of Grooming and and Admin Allowance. Permit Sales no longer have any effect on District Funding. If club budgets are based on Permit Sales you run the risk of creating a disconnect between the budget and the funding.  Clubs with large networks and relatively small permit bases would be under funded. Clubs with small networks and large permit bases would be over funded. This was the driving force behind the Framework For Change Funding model we use today. Large permit based clubs with small networks and short seasons were accumulating massive surpluses while small permit base clubs with long seasons were starving for funding.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Thanks, Pete, for explaining this on the forum once again.

59 minutes ago, Big Pete said:

Actually clubs don't need too sell any permits anymore. There use to be a requirement for a minimum of 50 permit sales in order to be a member club of the OFSC. That was eliminated at AGM 2 years ago. Further, District Funding (and by extension club funding) is determined by Km of Trails, Hours of Grooming and and Admin Allowance. Permit Sales no longer have any effect on District Funding. If club budgets are based on Permit Sales you run the risk of creating a disconnect between the budget and the funding.  Clubs with large networks and relatively small permit bases would be under funded. Clubs with small networks and large permit bases would be over funded. This was the driving force behind the Framework For Change Funding model we use today. Large permit based clubs with small networks and short seasons were accumulating massive surpluses while small permit base clubs with long seasons were starving for funding.

Well said. Thanks for the clarification on this. 

5 hours ago, Big Pete said:

Thanks again so selecting a club is just for kicks now or does club still get 8 bucks a permit or something like that? 

36 minutes ago, Strong Farmer said:

Thanks again so selecting a club is just for kicks now or does club still get 8 bucks a permit or something like that? 

I think selecting a club is still important as it gives the club some idea of the level of support from the permit buying public. It does not impact the level of funding to the district though.  I suppose districts could be funding clubs based on permit sales ( at least partially) but like I said before that creates the potential for a mismatch between what the district is receiving vs what it is placing in club budgets. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Big Pete said:

I think selecting a club is still important as it gives the club some idea of the level of support from the permit buying public. It does not impact the level of funding to the district though.  I suppose districts could be funding clubs based on permit sales ( at least partially) but like I said before that creates the potential for a mismatch between what the district is receiving vs what it is placing in club budgets. 

Ok that makes sense. 

On 10/29/2020 at 2:34 PM, stoney said:

Just looked at the calendar and figured I better get the order processed.....zero issues with the ordering and using the website, even doing the password reset, confirmation emails were sent literally within seconds.

Received email notification that permit shipped today. 
One week to process, not bad. 

On 10/29/2020 at 2:34 PM, stoney said:

Just looked at the calendar and figured I better get the order processed.....zero issues with the ordering and using the website, even doing the password reset, confirmation emails were sent literally within seconds.

On 11/5/2020 at 9:53 AM, stoney said:

Received email notification that permit shipped today. 
One week to process, not bad. 

Permit I046315 arrived in the mail today!

On 11/4/2020 at 10:33 AM, Big Pete said:

According to the OFSC October Newsletter only District 3 and District 9 are NOT printing District Guides this year.

Don't know about 9, but D3 is just using up our surplus from last season, no significant trail changes other than some side shuffling through the same fields. We also felt with local businesses hurting like most others, we'd pass on the savings to them with them getting a second season free. 

• Like 4

On 11/3/2020 at 6:53 PM, Candubrain said:

District 2 has paper map this year, and I believe 3, 6 and 7 as well. Contact the district office for whichever area you are looking for and they can confirm

• Like 1

Article on the Sudbury area Trail Plan association on the CBC web page today, talks about permit sales being up 13% and Covid recommendations

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/sudbury/snowmobile-permits-sudbury-health-information-1.5798589

Good luck trying to keep people sledding in there own district.

Edited by Muskoka Bill