Permits on sale September 1

Strong Farmer

The more I think about it, the less I am inclined to buy a permit this year.  If this increase in cases doesn't abate, it will be difficult to stay safe over the winter unless you are in a position to ride from home.  Not really liking this but I figure, if things change for the better, paying the full price, or alternatively, buying day passes, may suffice.

I may change my mind, but it sure isn't looking good :-(

I bought an Ontario already and was planning on buying a Quebec permit but I think I will wait until Dec before I commit to the Quebec one this year.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, sledjunk said:

The more I think about it, the less I am inclined to buy a permit this year.  If this increase in cases doesn't abate, it will be difficult to stay safe over the winter unless you are in a position to ride from home.  Not really liking this but I figure, if things change for the better, paying the full price, or alternatively, buying day passes, may suffice.

I may change my mind, but it sure isn't looking good :-(

I am with you on this one. I was going to wait until Oct 31. However, given the very resent changes going into effect for 28 days. I am mildly concerned how small businesses; gas and food are going to fair. I may permit just one sled this year. 

I'm not too concerned about the Covid case increases effect on my snowmobiling at this time. The  major portion of the current problem is in the GTA and Ottawa areas. While there may be some sledders and workers from those areas riding north of Hwy 17 , I think they will be spaced out far enough that we won't  encounter many of them and if we practice social distancing, sanitizing where necessary and mask use and  if we day trip from one or two  hub(s) we'll be OK in the north. I can ride from home if we get snow so I'm hoping that will be OK.

The above is subject to change if need be but I believe we'll get some decent riding in this season.

This would typically be our year for a week in Quebec but I  don't think that will be happening this year.

• Like 1

Yes, the problem areas are currently Toronto, Ottawa and Peel.  However, most of the sledders from those places will traveling elsewhere, carrying whatever with them.  Then you get to restaurants where you remove your helmet, and let it drip on the table, along with your balaclava and gloves, hoping that the restaurants are doing the extra sanitizing required.

From what I have heard, restaurants in Cochrane are already having problems getting sufficient staff. Apparently, with the shutdown, staff have found alternate employment.  Westway has been leaving rooms 'fallow' between guests but they are not exactly sure what restrictions or plans will be in effect for winter.

• Like 1

I have every intention of riding this winter. Permits are on order.

I haven't sat in a restaurant since the Dinner Bell last March, and will happily bring a hamper of groceries to a base motel and pack lunches for day trips as necessary. Sledjunk, I can bring enough for both of us!

20201010_153157.jpg

Edited by Blake G
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Blake G said:

I haven't sat in a restaurant since the Dinner Bell last March, and will happily bring a hamper of groceries to a base motel and pack lunches for day trips as necessary. Sledjunk, I can bring enough for both of us!

20201010_153157.jpg

I am going to miss the pics of all your great lunches  LOL      We have been going out enough around here   Kitchener Waterloo   we feel safe    the places all seem to be following the guidelines from the health department     we are planning on sledding this year for sure, sanitize our rooms, carry our lunches if needed and so on    

• Like 3

It’ll all be good, right.....

I can see booking out of town being an issue with more people than available rooms. 
Packing an extra balaclava shouldn’t be too hard, or your own food. 
Yes, people will need to exercise extreme patience with likely short staff, even more than usual. 
I don’t think the virus will be so much the issue in sledding regions, it’ll be locals might not wanting citiots there to possibly spread it and those okay with out of towners, having enough support. 
+1 for cottage owners in sledding regions.... just might be even more fuel for the cottage realestate market.....

3 hours ago, sledjunk said:

Yes, the problem areas are currently Toronto, Ottawa and Peel.  However, most of the sledders from those places will traveling elsewhere, carrying whatever with them.  Then you get to restaurants where you remove your helmet, and let it drip on the table, along with your balaclava and gloves, hoping that the restaurants are doing the extra sanitizing required.

From what I have heard, restaurants in Cochrane are already having problems getting sufficient staff. Apparently, with the shutdown, staff have found alternate employment.  Westway has been leaving rooms 'fallow' between guests but they are not exactly sure what restrictions or plans will be in effect for winter.

Everyone keeps talking about dripping helmets.  Wouldn't carrying a couple small garbage bags solve this?  Bag things up when you pull the lid off outside and then put a mask on.  Seems like a simple solution.  Restaurants that are proactive could just leave a box of bags at the door next to the hand sanitizer.

• Like 1

Cookhouse in hailburton forest shut down a few weeks ago because someone brought Covid in there and staff members got it. Now they have just re opened with more safety protocols in place (whatever that maybe) 

I was also at Edgewater last weekend and over half tables were gone. Food was very good though. They have no idea how they are going to handle sledding season though. All cabins have bbq’s so worst case scenario have to make your own burger on porch.

Day passes are pain in butt. I did that last winter, since I wasn’t sure which sled would sell. Two day minimum, Is a bummer. Doesn’t take long before you hit 200 in day passes either.  Ofsc should be able to operate trail system and I will bring gas with me. I can carry 20L with me if I am stagging out of one location.

i am paying almost 500 in insurance a 200 dollar early pass this year, is a no brainer. 
If ofsc never opens trails this winter, then good luck selling any passes next winter or getting volunteers to do it all over again for nothing. 
Wait and see what happens. 

6 hours ago, Blake G said:

20201010_153157.jpg

3 on order as well blake.  

I think sj can carry breakfast lunch and dinner. 

Edited by gobills
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Strong Farmer said:

Cookhouse in hailburton forest shut down a few weeks ago because someone brought Covid in there and staff members got it. Now they have just re opened with more safety protocols in place (whatever that maybe) 

I was also at Edgewater last weekend and over half tables were gone. Food was very good though. They have no idea how they are going to handle sledding season though. All cabins have bbq’s so worst case scenario have to make your own burger on porch.

Day passes are pain in butt. I did that last winter, since I wasn’t sure which sled would sell. Two day minimum, Is a bummer. Doesn’t take long before you hit 200 in day passes either.  Ofsc should be able to operate trail system and I will bring gas with me. I can carry 20L with me if I am stagging out of one location.

i am paying almost 500 in insurance a 200 dollar early pass this year, is a no brainer. 
If ofsc never opens trails this winter, then good luck selling any passes next winter or getting volunteers to do it all over again for nothing. 
Wait and see what happens. 

Not true get your crap straight.  They proactively shut down due to someone having symptoms.

Edited by gobills
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

We also are thinking that seating in restaurants is going to be limited so we hope there will be food available from the restaurant to eat in our rooms. We have been doing alot of curbside pickup of meals to help support the businesses and will continue that 

• Like 2

There will always be pizza available. Pizza joints never shut down, they always deliver, its great to eat cold. Good breakfast food as well. 

Jerry

• Like 4

Just ordered Quebec permit yesterday, two Ontario permits September 1 - pretty well de rigueur as per previous years - currently stocking the freezer, own food, own gas, own bubble. 

...should be interesting to see which provincial permits get to me first....

Edited by slomo

10 hours ago, gobills said:

Not true get your crap straight.  They proactively shut down due to someone having symptoms.

Thank-you for clarifying that. It is on there site now that one of chiefs wasn’t feeling well, so they shutdown. He recently tested negative so they re opened for thanksgiving long weekend it says. Hope they can stay open for winter, since it is a good food and gas stop when in area..

• Like 1

Somewhat related....BE SURE TO GET A FLU SHOT!!! ....the "regular" flu....many pharmacies now have them in. I signed up online for Shoppers Drug Mart prefilled out an information form and they sent an email when the vaccine was available. Made an appointment and got it done. Best to go in to make appointment in person, with the print out of your sign up form in hand, as the phones are tied up. If you can, get the 'high dose' vaccine - not always available, but the regular vaccine is better than nothing. 

• Like 1

Already got the shot on Wednesday night.  Just walked in the back door of Shoppers Drug Mart.  I was the only one there.

• Like 1

Many Covid vaccine candidates have liability waived when they become available.  Use at your own risk.

My concern is not with restaurants. It's solely with our lords and masters deciding it will look good on them to shut the trails, like last March. 

Closing trails makes as much sense as closing roads. 

It's not the OFSC pass $. It's everything else I will, or won't be spending on in the next 2 months, while this shakes out. Insurance, pass $ and this year's pending maintenance and upgrades for both sleds will go towards a snow bike. Thanks to dirt biking, I know a lot of trails. That won't be shut down. By idiots.

Finally managed to get passes ordered. Had to call head office in Barrie to get it all straightened out!.... I still think it’s much more convenient to walk into a local business and make my purchase for pass. But that is my 2cents worth! Bring on the winter!

9 minutes ago, T bird said:

Finally managed to get passes ordered. Had to call head office in Barrie to get it all straightened out!.... I still think it’s much more convenient to walk into a local business and make my purchase for pass. But that is my 2cents worth! Bring on the winter!

I agree, but i also say that ordering online should not be this difficult for some that have had problems. Like its year 2020, and some people still have issues getting their passes. Obviously something is wrong with the site?, right?. How can SOOO many other businesses and sites get it right, and this cant???..:banghead:

Edited by Turbo Doo

2 minutes ago, Turbo Doo said:

I agree, but i also say that ordering online should not be this difficult for some that have had problems. Like its year 2020, and some people still have issues getting their passes. Obviously something is wrong with the site?, right?. How can SOOO many other businesses and sites get it right, and this cant???..:banghead:

I just bought my vehicle stickers online. For four of them. All went smoothly. One commerical  vehicle, I can’t renew it yet online. Stupid rule too. Not suppose to go in, in person so I guess it doesn’t get done until I get another notice in mail I suppose.