Permits on sale September 1

Strong Farmer

1 minute ago, signfan said:

Nope.  Just get your phone connected to wifi where it exists.

how do you know where it exists?

Plus I wouldn't know how to connect it, if I did know where it exists.

guess I'll have to go back to Walmart and get the kid at the counter to set it up again for me.

11 hours ago, Nunz said:

Same here, no issues with getting stuff delivered this year at all, ordered something for the sled from the States and it arrived in less than a week.

Well, it didn't go through Detroit then!

OH YEAH!

Lots of stuff have shown up @ 3 weeks for the last several months.

(does NOT include any customs!

Don't send cookies my way!

The microbes will have already taken care of them before they git here!

.. and I have no idea why our mail is going through Detroit in the first place...

Edited by Ox

lol, I bought something from Florida and it took 5 weeks to get here  lol.  Also I ordered stuff from California about 3 weeks ago now and my shipping labels just got created.  I think usps and ups in the states are extremely overloaded.

Rock Auto, 4 days from California to Ottawa. 

Fedex.

I spent longer waiting to ship from my local post office. 

Room for 3 staff up front, but...... Social distancing. One employee at the counter. 

On 9/3/2020 at 12:05 PM, signfan said:

Nope.  Just get your phone connected to wifi where it exists.

Which is in a ton of places now a days. 
Businesses are investing in it a lot, but that’s also so they can push their ads to you the user and to cater to us when deciding where to go or hang out. 

@bigfish, 

If you have a smart phone, very easy to do, but if someone helps you, I suggest you don’t let the phone auto connect to public wifi. 

On 8/26/2020 at 7:49 PM, volunteer2 said:

Will be buying 2 permits as usual      early early   to be part of any benefit program    trails are gonna be open this year   and did we hear what the Farmers Almanac has called for ?:cheers:

Update. Will be buying one permit and one gift card. :ph34r:.  Trail better be open lol

• Haha 1

On 9/3/2020 at 11:09 AM, Bigfish said:

how do you know where it exists?

Plus I wouldn't know how to connect it, if I did know where it exists.

guess I'll have to go back to Walmart and get the kid at the counter to set it up again for me.

Here's a good example of what you could use - an unlocked smart phone ...unlocked means you can take it to any cell phone provider and use it on their system if you want. This one on Amazon.ca. Nice big screen -measured diagonally. Works great as stand alone for a variety of things:

phone.thumb.jpg.e97a5f1e65fd541bf0151da51cffe8c2.jpg

-phone accesses a cellular network OR wifi available in most places

-you can get a 20 gigabyte month data plan from the major providers, although you don't have to. Should you do something like this, your phone can be used as a "hot spot" enabling you to have internet access on wirelessly connected PCs. I successfully ran 3 on line courses using the cell phone hotspot and a pc with about 2 bars or less of 4g and 3g cell signal without any overages once courses were set up.

-wifi is available at most commercial outlets and stores, libraries etc. 

-using the Android model (instead of Apple phone) you access the google play store and download the applications you want. These could include the many snowmobiling maps - local and provincial - as well as movies, library books, all kinds of stuff. I can honestly say it has changed my life much for the better having access. 

-I bought two of the umidigi phones on sale  - umidigi one model- use one as a phone, the other for utilities such as reading downloaded books (free with a local library membership and access to libby) watching cbc gem, tubi,  etc. from wifi sources in hotels etc.

-after purchase, at walmart they sell two stylus's  (stylii?) for $3 in case you have large stumbling fingers, as do I. Recommended.

-for the Quebe Imotoneigh maps, you download the app on wifi (or cell) and it shows the trail system and a lot more information. On the trail, the phone's gps will show you where you are located, gas, hotels, etc. whether you are on line or not. (keep the phone warm) 

Recently purchased an android tablet as well - price at the time was $145.00 - neat thing about it is the hdmi output so you can stream from tablet to larger screen tv. Pretty reliable and useful so far:

tablet.thumb.jpg.4ed7b0219dcdb522ea2b5e7d0a550a3b.jpg

Download such free apps as "Here We Go" and you've got yourself a guided navigation application for all of Canada, the US, or other world destinations. Works great.

Telus (on same towers as Bell) has 20 gibabytes currently for $75 per month + tax - unlimited texts,  long distance and local calling, data still works although slower after you use up your 20 gigabytes. Likely the other carriers have the same deal - find that Bell/Telus has better coverage than Rogers. Just bring your smart phone to a local outlet, they will supply and install the SIM card for you. You can do this online as well, but for a beginner, worth the extra cost I think.

Edited by slomo
  • Like 2

On 9/4/2020 at 7:59 AM, manotickmike said:

Rock Auto, 4 days from California to Ottawa. 

Fedex.

I spent longer waiting to ship from my local post office. 

Room for 3 staff up front, but...... Social distancing. One employee at the counter. 

Hard to believe isn't it? Ordered spark plugs and oil excavater from Parts Avatar - got up the next day, the order was in the box outside the door I had labelled "Deliveries here Thanks".

Fan belt and assorted tensioners from Rock Auto - 1.5 days again found it outside while going out to discourage squirrels first thing in the morning.

• Like 1

I read they were being sent out in early October.

Did you know that the $50 Rider Advantage Confidence Bonus is only available until September 30th?

Even bigger than that, your permit purchase funds 30,000 kilometers of trail, 300 groomers, 18,000 landowners and 6,000 volunteers....all for only $190*?

If you already have your permit, thank you! Permits will start shipping in October.

We're ready for a great season, are you?

Edited by Jason T
  • Like 1

On 9/4/2020 at 2:49 PM, zoso said:

Best covid 9 helmet is the BRP with the built in mask....

Folks are gonna love my BV2S helmet this winter. Frozen 'air' dripping from the mouthpiece.....

Burn the witch, they said, upon entry.

download.jpg

• Haha 4

5 hours ago, Strong Farmer said:

So does it matter where and which region we buy permit from, if ofsc just relcolates it based on the matrix? 

Not entirely sure but I think the answer is yes.  Clubs always had to sell 50 permits to remain a member of the OFSC.  Am guessing this still applies.  There is probably still a small advantage to selling more permits vs less, but grooming hours is just as important or more important under the new system.

1 hour ago, signfan said:

Not entirely sure but I think the answer is yes.  Clubs always had to sell 50 permits to remain a member of the OFSC.  Am guessing this still applies.  There is probably still a small advantage to selling more permits vs less, but grooming hours is just as important or more important under the new system.

The 50 permit requirement was eliminated last year. With the change to the funding model last year, there is no direct financial advantage to a club/district to selling more permits, other than there is more money in the pot to share. District and clubs are funded based on their km of trails, hours groomed and an Admin allowance which is determined by the BoG. The system is not without its problems but in general it works better than the old matrix. By better, I mean the money tends to follow the snow and does not get hoarded in bank accounts. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Big Pete said:

The 50 permit requirement was eliminated last year. With the change to the funding model last year, there is no direct financial advantage to a club/district to selling more permits, other than there is more money in the pot to share. District and clubs are funded based on their km of trails, hours groomed and an Admin allowance which is determined by the BoG. The system is not without its problems but in general it works better than the old matrix. By better, I mean the money tends to follow the snow and does not get hoarded in bank accounts. 

Good info I figured something had changed,, since some small northern clubs use to beg us to buy permits from thier club so they could get 50 minimum. I use to pick some of these smaller clubs for one permit, Dubrevuille was one of them. 

I remember buying my permit through D'ville several years ago as mentioned. My two Ontario permits are on their way....anticipating a couple from Quebec also, emailed them to find out which clubs are sucking the hind tit in that province and received a very courteous reply and information. Apparently picking the numbers of remote clubs there is helpful.

10 hours ago, Strong Farmer said:

Good info I figured something had changed,, since some small northern clubs use to beg us to buy permits from thier club so they could get 50 minimum. I use to pick some of these smaller clubs for one permit, Dubrevuille was one of them. 

Yeah I think buy where you rude still applies.  Even areas like Barry's Bay and Griffith have had troubles hitting those numbers in the past from time to time.

22 minutes ago, signfan said:

Yeah I think buy where you rude still applies.  Even areas like Barry's Bay and Griffith have had troubles hitting those numbers in the past from time to time.

I am not sure it matters anymore. Sounds like all revenue goes into one pot and then flows back to districts and clubs as needed during season. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Strong Farmer said:

I am not sure it matters anymore. Sounds like all revenue goes into one pot and then flows back to districts and clubs as needed during season. 

That’s exactly how it works now. 

• Like 1