Permits on sale September 1

Strong Farmer

16 hours ago, signfan said:

FCMQ permits are up another $10 this year.  $340 if bought before Dec 9th.  

and they are not producing paper maps this year!

Just have their phone app

3 hours ago, Bigfish said:

and they are not producing paper maps this year!

Just have their phone app

That is only the OFSC map which was never much good unless you were only riding main trails. JMHO.  The Districts will hopefully have new or one year old maps.

30 minutes ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

That is only the OFSC map which was never much good unless you were only riding main trails. JMHO.  The Districts will hopefully have new or one year old maps.

Rap map was good too have a few from last year. Use it more then any other map I got, when in area. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, signfan said:

So who all bought on day one of sales?

me x 2 passes

12 hours ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

The OFSC should take a lesson from Quebec with regards to permit pricing.

Totally different type of people that live in ON & QC when it comes to lifestyles and opening their wallet for enjoyment or pleasure.

ON folks just don't want to pay for certain things, not all, but a larger majority......QC people seem to have a lot less thought when it comes to spending, granted the tax & cost of living structure is different.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, stoney said:

Totally different type of people that live in ON & QC when it comes to lifestyles and opening their wallet for enjoyment or pleasure.

ON folks just don't want to pay for certain things, not all, but a larger majority......QC people seem to have a lot less thought when it comes to spending, granted the tax & cost of living structure is different.

Agreed, but if you don't keep pace with costs the business will die.

6 minutes ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

Agreed, but if you don't keep pace with costs the business will die.

That’s not entirely true. I have been doing more for less like allot of other buisness have over last several years. Only way to grow revenue is to do more it seems. Ofsc is no different just have to sell more passes this year and it will all work out in end. Cheers to successful early pass record sales, let’s see if we can do it. 

i bought my pass today.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Strong Farmer said:

That’s not entirely true. I have been doing more for less like allot of other buisness have over last several years. Only way to grow revenue is to do more it seems. Ofsc is no differenyearst just have to sell more passes this year and it will all work out in end. Cheers to successful early pass record sales, let’s see if we can do it. 

Permit sales have been dropping over the last few years and changing that without dropping prices isn't as easy as many would think when winters are getting much shorter in many areas of the province. If you know the magic answer that will change to sell more permits then I'm sure the OFSC would gladly accept your help. Government grants are not likely to happen in dollar amounts that will save the sport on an ongoing basis. Short of that, revenue better meet or exceed expenses or the OFSC is living on borrowed time.

9 minutes ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

Permit sales have been dropping over the last few years and changing that without dropping prices isn't as easy as many would think when winters are getting much shorter in many areas of the province. If you know the magic answer that will change to sell more permits then I'm sure the OFSC would gladly accept your help. Government grants are not likely to happen in dollar amounts that will save the sport on an ongoing basis. Short of that, revenue better meet or exceed expenses or the OFSC is living on borrowed time.

Thank-you for an honest update. I had no idea permit sales were on decline.  If permit sales don’t grow this year a different approach is necessary no doubt. Ofsc should really share some of this data and it would help people accept a price increase. 
I am buying one early permit this year, since my dad died and we are down to one sled now. 

Price goes up, ridership goes down and/or you end up with more folks riding with no permit....which will also cause the business to die as well.

Catch 22

Cater to the enthusiast at a rate that will support the system, that most enthusiasts will pay......I think it is now proven that new blood into the sport is not happening.

Take a serious look at what trails can go away to reduce the over cost to operate / care for the system.

And if all else fails, QC is not that far a drive for a couple of trips per winter.

23 minutes ago, stoney said:

And if all else fails, QC is not that far a drive for a couple of trips per winter.

Maybe for some,  for me its an 8 hr drive.  I cant do that on a regular basis.

23 minutes ago, stoney said:

Take a serious look at what trails can go away to reduce the over cost to operate / care for the system

I do agree with this somewhat.  In D9 there are all kinds of small loops where trails almost run side by side for a big section, and could be  reduced to save some budget costs.

We will be buying our passes in the next couple of weeks. Also looking at Quebec passes as well potentially.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

Copied and pasted from a Faceplant notification.

NEWS FROM QUEBEC - In their latest newsletter, the Quebec Federation of Snowmobile Clubs (FCMQ) has announced it will not be printing either a 2021 trail map or services guide to help prevent the physical spread of the virus. Riders are encouraged to use their online trail guide and iMotonegie app instead.

Personally I like and use the paper maps. Don't have data or GPS on my phone ( too expensive), so an app is not an option, besides reception on the phone is spotty at best.

Edited by Bigfish

On 9/1/2020 at 5:47 PM, signfan said:

So who all bought on day one of sales?

yep

12 hours ago, stoney said:

Price goes up, ridership goes down and/or you end up with more folks riding with no permit....which will also cause the business to die as well.

Catch 22

Cater to the enthusiast at a rate that will support the system, that most enthusiasts will pay......I think it is now proven that new blood into the sport is not happening.

Take a serious look at what trails can go away to reduce the over cost to operate / care for the system.

I think the big difference is the geography between the two provinces.  Montreal is as far north as Huntsville.  Quebec City is comparable to North Bay.  You essentially have two major cities that are living in the snow belt.  Those riders can be in good snow within a very close drive.  They also can be at exceptional destinations in 5 hours or less.  From Montreal Gaspe, Saguenay and Abitibi are all only 5 hours away.  The laurentians, Lanauduere and Chaudiere are all less than 2 hours from home.  There is inheritantly more value to these populations as opposed to someone in Toronto that is only in North Bay or Sudbury with a 4 - 5 hour trip (great riding, but not as good as Gaspe or Abitibi).  The algonquin highlands are a 2 hour drive from the GTA which is great sledding, but it's definately a shorter season than Lanaudiere.

I don't think the OFSC is doomed.  It's arguable that district 5 is in trouble unless there is some technology changes (can we come up with a way to preserve the snow we get or make artificial snow???).  The OFSC is arguably making much better use of resources compared to Quebec on a dollar by dollar basis.  That said there's no denying that Quebec is delivering more grooming, better signage and a longer season due to the geographic advantages it has.  They are probably attaining and spending 30% or more cash each season compared to Ontario so it's no wonder there is differences.  Here's hoping we see permit sales increase in Ontario this winter.  I personally haven't met anyone yet that bought permits last season that said they won't buy this year due to covid.  This could work out very well for the sport in Ontario.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

10 hours ago, Strong Farmer said:

I doubt it. They have it figured out by now. Only hiccup could be mail service though. Pretty busy lately with all deliveries. 

Mail service is not an issue as far as I'm concerned. Last Thursday I ordered 2 items from Fortnine (Quebec) the 6x5" box was in my mailbox on Monday afternoon. 

20 minutes ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

Mail service is not an issue as far as I'm concerned. Last Thursday I ordered 2 items from Fortnine (Quebec) the 6x5" box was in my mailbox on Monday afternoon. 

Same here, no issues with getting stuff delivered this year at all, ordered something for the sled from the States and it arrived in less than a week.

You do NOT need data on your phone (or tablet) to use the Imotoneige app. Or the OSFC excuse for one.

Maybe they studied the PQ one and took some notes this year and fixed it. Who knows. 

Download it on WIFI and use the GPS in your phone.

It won't update on the trail, but the OFSC one was so slow at that, my fingers would drop off before any change occurred anyway.

Quebec has much more than a geographic advantage. 

The province does the math, and realizes that for every dollar they spend, they reap dividends. Ask anyone who has ever unloaded a sled in the province.

My worry about the OFSC is my local club following the path of the Snowbirds.

The stuff I hear would make you mad enough to spit.

33 minutes ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

That’s amazing. Have had items take three buisness days out of Guelph from royal distributing. 

49 minutes ago, manotickmike said:

You do NOT need data on your phone (or tablet) to use the Imotoneige app. Or the OSFC excuse for one.

Maybe they studied the PQ one and took some notes this year and fixed it. Who knows. 

Download it on WIFI and use the GPS in your phone.

It won't update on the trail, but the OFSC one was so slow at that, my fingers would drop off before any change occurred anyway.

Quebec has much more than a geographic advantage. 

The province does the math, and realizes that for every dollar they spend, they reap dividends. Ask anyone who has ever unloaded a sled in the province.

My worry about the OFSC is my local club following the path of the Snowbirds.

The stuff I hear would make you mad enough to spit.

Pardon my ignorance with all things cell phone related, but don't you need data to get wifi and gps?