Permits on sale September 1

Strong Farmer

19 hours ago, Blake G said:

If I recall correctly, the volunteers running the organization made the decision at the AGM two or three years ago to change from a 20 year to a 25 year requirement for the Classic Trail Pass. This requires a five year phase-in period.

I thought the pass went from previously 15 to 20 years until the year 2000 got 20 years old, then kept going at 20 years.

• Thanks 1

On 8/21/2020 at 4:56 PM, Blake G said:

If I recall correctly, the volunteers running the organization made the decision at the AGM two or three years ago to change from a 20 year to a 25 year requirement for the Classic Trail Pass. This requires a five year phase-in period.

Blake, the motion you refer to was to take the Classic from 15 years to 20. The way it got worded however, the Classic is frozen at 1999 model years and older indefinitely. It’s too late for this season but it would take a member to move an amendment to the 2022 Permit Recommendation at the AGM , that the qualifier year be set at 20 (or 25) model years or older.  The push back has always been that there are too many model year 2000/2001 sleds still in active use and the revenue hit is too big.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

You're a handy guy to have around, Pete!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Blake G said:

You're a handy guy to have around, Pete!

Yeah I agree. Any idea how many classic permits are sold? Whether it is increasing or declining over last several years. Must have been increasing or they wouldn’t have froze it at 1999? 

Edited by Strong Farmer

I can see why they froze it at 99.   You still see a surprising amount of early 2000 era sleds on the trails.    

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Strong Farmer said:

And people will fix them up, just so they can ride and save 70 dollars on a permit. 

Not everyone feels the need to spend 15g's on a sled every few years. I doubt the savings on a permit factors into that decision.

I am actually surprised at the % of the recoils that folks are buying for the old Zx chassis sleds of '99/'03.

These are still out there in force!

I can understand why guys still keep them.    A well maintained 2001 MXZ700 is still a pretty decent sled.    Sleds had a huge improvement in ride/handling/power from the mid 90s to the early 2000s.   

39 minutes ago, scottyr said:

I can understand why guys still keep them.    A well maintained 2001 MXZ700 is still a pretty decent sled.    Sleds had a huge improvement in ride/handling/power from the mid 90s to the early 2000s.   

They last awhile. I had an 1998 formula z 583. Had 17600 km’s on it when I sold it. Guy who bought it emailed me it was best used sled he ever bought after putting on another 3000 km’s that winter. A few years later motor went with 27000 km’s on odometer. He sent me another email with pics and said motor should have been rebuilt, before I sold sled. I was like that was pretty cheap riding for you to double mileage on 2700 sled. It never ends. 

Edited by Strong Farmer
  • Confused 1

Ill be buying 2 permits as well.  Same as every other year.

• Like 2

I'm in for 2 permits

I have to permit 2 sleds and I am not sure whether to buy 2 Ontario and 1 Quebec or the other way around?   

11 hours ago, signfan said:

FCMQ permits are up another $10 this year.  $340 if bought before Dec 9th.  

The OFSC should take a lesson from Quebec with regards to permit pricing.

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

The OFSC should take a lesson from Quebec with regards to permit pricing.

History has shown that sales tank when early permits hit 200. When it was 210 early sales was drastically down. That’s why ofsc is holding line on prices thinking sledders will buy now and not wait. They are banking on stronger sales this winter, so I think overall numbers will be up, they get money early too. Win win,  I think. Not sure what costs are or what government funding system gets either. 

20 hours ago, Strong Farmer said:

I am guessing no sunny south trip this year? I was counting on that one steller week when you head south again this winter. 

Haha.    You are correct - the best 2 weeks of sledding in our area was when I was the in the DR on vacation.    I dont think we will be going anywhere this winter.   My wife and daughter are RNs and they cant leave the province without guarantining for 2 weeks before they can go back to work.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Strong Farmer said:

History has shown that sales tank when early permits hit 200. When it was 210 early sales was drastically down. That’s why ofsc is holding line on prices thinking sledders will buy now and not wait. They are banking on stronger sales this winter, so I think overall numbers will be up, they get money early too. Win win,  I think. Not sure what costs are or what government funding system gets either. 

Yeah that was a long time ago.  They're going to need to cross that bridge again sooner than later.  2 permits bought this morning.  No e-mail confirmation though.  Hope that isn't a sign of more issues with the system.

Sorry guys.   Ontario sledding is going to suck balls this year because I just bought 2 OFSC permits.  

• Haha 2