OFSC Covid plan.

zoso

2 hours ago, Strong Farmer said:

Now I see there is a big rant in district 9 and how grca problems haven’t been resolved and they are asking for ofsc to fix problem. Looks like another stale mate in the affected areas again. 

That is sad. lets hope we some progress on this front. I feel it is our provincial government that is failing. Look at the support from government in QC. Then look at how we actually have governments working against us here in Ontario. the biggest issue is Toronto is the center of the universe in this province and no other place matters to queens park.

The tone of this article makes it sound like the issue was driven by the OFSC. 

"According to a GRCA press release they could not accept requested revisions to their licence and clubs did not renew the existing agreement."

https://www.guelphtoday.com/wellington-county/snowmobiling-not-permitted-at-grca-properties-for-upcoming-season-2702009

Funny how people were able to go boating on GRCA waterways all summer with no issues?

14 minutes ago, Goody said:

Funny how people were able to go boating on GRCA waterways all summer with no issues?

People pay to boat on GRCA waterways one way or another so it cannot be compared to the snowmobile issue. The GRCA is not the only " landowner" who had issues with snowmobile clubs last season..   

Edited by PISTON LAKE CRUISER

23 minutes ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

People pay to boat on GRCA waterways one way or another so it cannot be compared to the snowmobile issue. The GRCA is not the only " landowner" who had issues with snowmobile clubs last season..   

real sad. Looks like access is gone for another season. Hard on clubs in area. I could see lake Conestoga just folding it in, since there lands were a good part of local trail system, including access to club house. Wonder if Fergus has access again this winter or not? 
hailburton had issues too, but managed to get lup resolved and main trail back open north of town last season. 

Sounds like there are issues else where in province in east too, where it existed last year. 

Edited by Strong Farmer

25 minutes ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

People walk, bicycle, ride horse and fish/boat and don't pay a cent to access land, or water I live there and witness it everyday

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Strong Farmer said:

real sad. Looks like access is gone for another season. Hard on clubs in area. I could see land Conestoga just folding it in, since there lands were a good part of local trail system, including access to club house. Wonder if Fergus has access again this winter or not? 
hailburton had issues too, but managed to get lup resolved and main trail back open north of town last season. 

Sounds like there are issues else where in province in east too, where it existed last year. 

The Laake Conestoga club did a stellar job of rerouting ssome of their trails off GRCA land last year and I'm sure  will do it and more again this year.  Negativity will not help as much as volunteering would.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Goody said:

People walk, bicycle, ride horse and fish/boat and don't pay a cent to access land, or water I live there and witness it everyday

Interesting regarding boating as the last time I put the boat in Lake Belwood I had to pay to do it. Maybe that has changed. 

2 minutes ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

Interesting regarding boating as the last time I put the boat in Lake Belwood I had to pay to do it. Maybe that has changed. 

People park on side road and walk their canoes, kayaks, tinners down and launch them anything bigger you have to use the launch

3 minutes ago, Strong Farmer said:

Lol. I know people that do that with bicycles too and pedal right in without paying for day. 

What you are talking about is illegal use of GRCA property if what you are saying is correct. What the snowmobile clubs were trying to do was the legal way. Not comparable at all. JMHO

2 minutes ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

What you are talking about is illegal use of GRCA property if what you are saying is correct. What the snowmobile clubs were trying to do was the legal way. Not comparable at all. JMHO

Park on side roads use bicycles to get in without paying for day. Same as what body says with people walking with canoes and kayak’s too. 

I can sled down the lake and avoid the trail and no one says a word!

Just now, Goody said:

I can sled down the lake and avoid the trail and no one says a word!

Unorganized versus organized. What you are saying is correct but incomparable in size and nature.

6 minutes ago, Strong Farmer said:

Park on side roads use bicycles to get in without paying for day. Same as what body says with people walking with canoes and kayak’s too. 

Still illegal just like your your last idea. Sled clubs are trying to do it legally. I'm done with this now. Bye Bye.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

Still illegal just like your your last idea. Sled clubs are trying to do it legally. I'm done with this now. Bye Bye.

Yep!  Can't fix stupid!

1 hour ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

I know , I wouldn’t do it. Just saying people are doing it. Anything to avoid day pass to get Into park. Defiantly have to have proper protocols in place to put a trail in. I expect people to respect my land and I do same for other’s. 

12 hours ago, Strong Farmer said:

I could see lake Conestoga just folding it in, since there lands were a good part of local trail system, including access to club house.

Other than Club house access, the club did have most of the trail system up and running last year with reroutes in place.  Cant see any reason why that cant happen again this year.  

Speaking with our Club president, the issue is insurance.  They think because we sell trail passes, we have lots of money for that.  District is looking into what they spent on bridges, brushing etc... on GRCA land in the last few years to show how much they have helped to improve the trails on GRCA  property as it is.

• Like 1

FROM "LAKE CONESTOGA SNOWMOBILERS" ON FACEBOOK:

Snowmobile Club Volunteers Work on Re-Routes as Snowmobile Trails Not Allowed on GRCA Property
for the 2021 Season
For decades, six of the Ontario Federation of Snowmobile Clubs (OFSC) member clubs have enjoyed a
mutually beneficial partnership with the Grand River Conservation Authority (GRCA) - Arthur
Snowblazers, Elmira Snowmobile Club, Fergus Elora Belwood Snowmobile Club, Hillsburgh Snow
Roamers, Lake Conestoga Snowmobile Club, and the Orangeville Snowmobile Club. Through this
partnership, club volunteers have built and maintained snowmobile trails on GRCA managed lands for
the recreational enjoyment of riders, as well as for the economic benefit to their small local
communities. Unfortunately, it now appears club volunteers will have to re-route their trails around the
GRCA for the second season in a row due to the inability to obtain an appropriate land use agreement
with the conservation authority.
In July 2019, clubs became aware of clauses in GRCA’s land use agreement that could expose them to
personal uninsured risk and began reaching out to the conservation authority to discuss changes to the
annual agreement. After months of conversation it was determined last November that an agreement
could not be reached for the 2020 snowmobile season. Both sides decided that the partnership was
important and agreed to continue to work towards a solution for the 2021 winter season. Many
meetings took place over the summer between OFSC member clubs, district representatives and GRCA
staff. Unfortunately, the meetings and discussions were unsuccessful at producing a new agreement.
The OFSC, on behalf of their member clubs, carries Commercial General Liability insurance that will
respond on behalf of its clubs, its volunteers, and its landowners in the event of any claim arising from
activities that are usual to a snowmobile club. However, for a number of years the GRCA agreement has
contained clauses that have been putting clubs and volunteers at personal uninsured risk. Specifically,
their agreement required that the clubs also ensure the safety of the other user groups that GRCA
invites to utilize the properties on a year-round basis, as well as indemnifying and holding harmless the
GRCA for other liability that has nothing to do with the operation of a snowmobile trail.
According to Karen Buratynski, Manager OFSC District 9, the club volunteers were extremely
disappointed with the most recent decision from the GRCA. Buratynski noted that “It’s heartbreaking
that clubs and riders will not have access again for the 2021 snowmobile season. This is about more
than just user fees and risk management programs. This is about the thousands of hours our dedicated
volunteers have spend tending to GRCA managed properties over many years. It’s also about the many
riders that will not be able to experience the winter beauty of these properties and the small local
businesses that will suffer”. Buratynski went on to note that well over $200K of snowmobile permit
money and club fundraising dollars have been spent over the years to upgrade infrastructure (bridges,
culverts, damns), complete brushing projects, and renovate/improve out buildings on these GRCA
managed properties.
The local clubs have been researching potential reroutes around the GRCA managed property all
summer in the event that a suitable agreement could not be reached. These plans will now start to be
implemented and the volunteers are confident that, although GRCA lands cannot be used, trail
connectivity will continue. The clubs and districts are committed to continue discussions with the GRCA
in an attempt partner with them again in the future.

Edited by Blake G
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

18 hours ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

I feel the same way, especially trying to argue with STUPIDITY......Hence, i am taking a break from this forum....Too much BS around here for me.. BYE BYE...

29 minutes ago, Done said:

I feel the same way, especially trying to argue with STUPIDITY......Hence, i am taking a break from this forum....Too much BS around here for me.. BYE BYE...

Well, it looks like he's Done....

• Haha 2

On 8/19/2020 at 4:44 PM, Canuck said:

I actually think that one of the amenities sledders may look for ( or transport themselves to the staging hotel ) is a BBQ. Particularly if we have a past March scenario of restaurants closing. 

I've seen guys bring them before ( not mentioning where, in case it's not permitted- insurance, crazy Ontario lodging rules, etc.). There will be more tailgating this year. Either because of the restaurant " ick" factor noted above or restaurants choosing to close for the winter.

Put on the dry gear and cook :)

Barbeque is a bit unwieldy although worth consideration..... We have one of those small ones with a 5 lb tank. Could also warm up the inside of the sled trailer I suppose. Meantime in prep for this year's season replacing my old method for deep fried prepared trail trip foods ,,,,,,,

pic02.thumb.JPG.d7d9b6f36af9f0018ae21baebecbcf63.JPG

with this......

1384830049_deepfryer01.jpg.e8a4d1ca3569e25a8d515e5754621d76.jpg

although as ms. slomo, the health care professional that she is....is deadset against fried foods....I have to run it in the shed in secret disguised  with discarded parts from a non-functioning ultrasonic cleaner........

cover.thumb.JPG.a9dc0ed2223dacfb92e59f01984e89dc.JPG

Walmart has a very functional .7 cubic foot 1000 watt microwave on sale this week for around the $50 mark. For them that are shy of cooking skills, don't over look  microwavable selections from M&M foods - the cabbage rolls for instance only require about 15 minutes of (various) cook times and come out pretty well, as does the pot roast. Get on their membership and get email updates when they go on sale. Of course, you can also pick up Swanson Hungryman dinners for less than $2 on sale - only ones I'd get though are turkey and fried chicken. Avoid at all costs the others.

BTW - getting no consideration or discounts for these recommendations....just passing on what I have successfully used. Rather be on the trail instead of sitting in a restaurant. 

Related previous posts which might be inspiring:

Edited by slomo
  • Like 1

On 9/12/2020 at 2:27 PM, Done said:

Sorry to read this formerly known as IQ Turbo - Doo. Your sledding pursuits are different than mine, but could always find some common ground. Hope you are back once the season starts, find joy in the riding and maybe not so much in the equipment. 

I also recently split the forum for a while to spend more time with my family....... help out with the family businesses ......and stepped down from the OC Forum to make room for more diverse voices ...... hoping for a replacement that was Black, Indigenous or a person of colour.

I have come to recognize that my privilege has benefited me greatly. And while I have certainly worked hard and contributed much to this forum, I know that systemic racism and injustice helps people like me, and harms those who aren’t like me often in ways that are invisible to me and us. This needs to change..... Full disclosure - spent 3 years 288 days in an Indian community. (The North American Indian type...the First Nations Industry was very goood to me)

As for the future, the CRA, anticipating "problems" with CERB and other giveaway's claimants, may be presenting contract positions as audit assistants, and having been an accounting instructor for several years, as well as having "a superior knowledge of Canadian regionalities", (their words...all that earlier travelling I did job seeking pays off again) might keep me off the streets. You can check qualifications for positions on their web site. 

Having recently retired, I'm not too inclined to begin yet another (fourth) career, but the tax cheat stories told by my recently retired chartered accountant with the CRA brother in law, make the job seem very interesting. I remember this guy in Yellowknife who used to drive his car to Edmonton, rent a similar model, take both to his brother in law's farm and begin swapping parts. He began swapping wives back in YK - getting away with one crime encouraged him to try others including tax fraud.....and wife turned him in both to the cops and Revenue Canada as it was known then. Poor bastard didn't know what hit him

You do not have to send in receipts, but save them as the CRA may request them later dot dot dot

Also begun the ground work for a registered tax credit charity called D.D.D.G. - Disgraced Despondent Do Gooders - got the Kielburgers lined up as well as a few others.....just waiting for a few more charities to fold so that better ribbon colours become available....currently all the good ones are taken.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

sorry turbo doo left us but, i understand sometimes the forums get to us. hopefully, he returns, recharged.

with that said, i think everyone in the sledding community is going to be in for a RUDE AWAKENING, when the season starts. there is no way businesses are going to let us in with wet, frozen, dripping balaclavas, gloves, etc... then let us hang them, or place them on a register to warm/dry out. there are going to be A LOT OF NEW RULES. i am guessing they will start with, you need to leave your contaminated clothing items outside on your sled, to avoid cross contamination. that will be THE START, of the rules. 

good luck to us all, the virus isnt going away, obviously we cant stop it. Ski

• Thanks 3