OFSC Covid plan.

zoso

13 hours ago, Canuck said:

I actually think that one of the amenities sledders may look for ( or transport themselves to the staging hotel ) is a BBQ. Particularly if we have a past March scenario of restaurants closing. 

I've seen guys bring them before ( not mentioning where, in case it's not permitted- insurance, crazy Ontario lodging rules, etc.). There will be more tailgating this year. Either because of the restaurant " ick" factor noted above or restaurants choosing to close for the winter.

Put on the dry gear and cook :)

Even a microwave would be nice and is pretty safe. Can pull in with a homemade TV dinner. 

• Like 1

We have already been talking with friends that we normally do our sledding vacations with and the feeling is this year that instead of saddlebagging for a week, we will likely drive to our destination and do a week of day trips instead or maybe do a one night overnight somewhere. For most of the riding I am hoping to ride within a couple hours of home most days if not from home.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Nunz said:

We have already been talking with friends that we normally do our sledding vacations with and the feeling is this year that instead of saddlebagging for a week, we will likely drive to our destination and do a week of day trips instead or maybe do a one night overnight somewhere. For most of the riding I am hoping to ride within a couple hours of home most days if not from home.

Did this for the first time last year, it was great having a home base and not saddle bagging each day..... think it’ll be the new norm anyways. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stoney said:

Did this for the first time last year, it was great having a home base and not saddle bagging each day..... think it’ll be the new norm anyways. 

I enjoy this type of riding best.  You can come back 'home' to a known location.  Big question in my mind is how will motels fare with the new regulations and how many restaurants will be available.  New normal but we have to get used to it.

• Like 1

On 8/16/2020 at 10:31 AM, Poo Man said:

There's already a government app for that if it interests you.

LOL

That app needs %60 adaptation to be effective and it's got less than %10.

Also it's not got access to GPS coordinates.

Kinda a joke app but between the 5G covid nutjobs and Qanon whacko's it's not likely any tracking app will have much uptake.

4 hours ago, vooodooo said:

LOL

Kinda a joke app but between the 5G covid nutjobs and Qanon whacko's it's not likely any tracking app will have much uptake.

We will see. I have my hopes up and maybe if us riders buy it and support it, it will get better like ofsc guide has improved over last few seasons. We have to support things that we enjoy doing and using for it to succeed. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, sledjunk said:

I enjoy this type of riding best.  You can come back 'home' to a known location.  Big question in my mind is how will motels fare with the new regulations and how many restaurants will be available.  New normal but we have to get used to it.

Wasn’t the last phase of the COVID opening plan, that eat in restaurants could open and not just patio....along with gyms, and other establishments?

No idea what extra steps they need to do and at what costs, but I’d imagine many northern establishments would pass that expense onto the consumer anyways. 

5 hours ago, vooodooo said:

LOL

And you think an ofsc version would be better?

14 hours ago, vooodooo said:

LOL

If you need all that technology to go for a ride you might want to think about retiring the MXZ. JMHO

• Like 1

11 hours ago, stoney said:

Wasn’t the last phase of the COVID opening plan, that eat in restaurants could open and not just patio....along with gyms, and other establishments?

No idea what extra steps they need to do and at what costs, but I’d imagine many northern establishments would pass that expense onto the consumer anyways. 

I also think a major concern is this second wave that may or may not come. The wave could come at the start of sled season which could shut down restaurants and other gathering places again.

Jerry

1 hour ago, grover_yyz said:

I also think a major concern is this second wave that may or may not come. The wave could come at the start of sled season which could shut down restaurants and other gathering places again.

Jerry

That’s true but as long as gas stations are open, which they will be during day no reason ofsc and clubs can’t keep trails open and safe for riding, if weather co-operates. Just cause restaurants are take out only doesn’t mean they have to shut trails down again. 

• Like 1

We were getting March updates of gas stations closing because Covid infected individuals handled the merchandise ( so to speak ). And restaurants closed down entirely, not just to inside dining. 

No gas, no food - trails closed. 

Hard to forecast ahead this year, but we all know what we're buying into.

Personally, with the borders closed ( sorry, Ski ), Ontario residents incredible approach to date, weather being allowed to 'set up' again ( just my observation ) - I think it'll be a great season.

2 hours ago, Canuck said:

We were getting March updates of gas stations closing because Covid infected individuals handled the merchandise ( so to speak ). And restaurants closed down entirely, not just to inside dining. 

No gas, no food - trails closed. 

Hard to forecast ahead this year, but we all know what we're buying into.

Personally, with the borders closed ( sorry, Ski ), Ontario residents incredible approach to date, weather being allowed to 'set up' again ( just my observation ) - I think it'll be a great season.

Always gas available in major centres during day. I see no reason this will be an issue this winter. With range of new sleds most riders can go out for afternoon and return back to thier starting location on one tank or less. 
Also motels with outside room access should be open for buisness for sledders, very little risk here. I avoid big motels with no outside access this winter for sure. 
I really see no major reason to just shut trails down again especially in south central regions, where there is ample opportunities to trailer and ride for day and return back home. 
I believe it is going to be a great season for sure with strong permit sales. If ofsc does close it all down this winter, next year it will kill early permit sales most likely. 

Most hotels and motels will have adapted to the new norm for service by this winter.  That or they are out of business. 

Dont expect cheap one night accommodations. 

Most hotels now leave rooms empty for at least 48 hours before entering to clean.

And no cleaning services during your stay.   Just get extra towels or dump garbage yourself.

If business travellers can do it no reason snowmobilers cannot.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Sksman said:

Most hotels and motels will have adapted to the new norm for service by this winter.  That or they are out of business. 

Dont expect cheap one night accommodations. 

Most hotels now leave rooms empty for at least 48 hours before entering to clean.

And no cleaning services during your stay.   Just get extra towels or dump garbage yourself.

If business travellers can do it no reason snowmobilers cannot.

I think most will have a min two night stay mid week too. Not worth it to rent it for one night with all new rules. As long as I can arrive on Wednesday and leave on Friday don’t really matter to me. That takes room out of comission for weekend too. So going to be a tough one to get rooms at last minute too. 

As far as I know, no gas station ever shut down. 

Pack a sandwich if they close restaurants.

Closing trails without closing roads?

Ridiculous. 

4 hours ago, manotickmike said:

As far as I know, no gas station ever shut down. 

Pack a sandwich if they close restaurants.

Closing trails without closing roads?

Ridiculous. 

Around here just hours where reduced at some stations.Our season was already done along with most of central ontario as well. Mostly just north left when ofsc did shut it down. Reality is no where really to stay and government didn’t want people traveling anyways. I think it, was right move for time. I look forward to moving ahead with another good snowmobiling season in hopes, everyone is following rules we should be able to enjoy trails again this winter. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/20/2020 at 9:51 PM, stoney said:

We did that once. it worked out well. Did three different loops during our stay. We did however ride to our destination where we stayed and then rode back home. it was more layed back than having to make a destination each day. We may do the drive to thing this winter, where we live now it is spotty to plan a destination ride from home.

16 minutes ago, spyd4r said:

If Ontario gets shut down before the season starts, passes should carry over to next year. it's basically bullshit.. $50 for next season.. what if it never opens?!

There are costs that need to get paid on a yearly basis, even if trails don’t open. Ofsc has held permit price steady for last few seasons. I will buy my permit early this year and even if I only get a few weekends in, that is ok. Covid is not ofsc’s

fault either and I am sure they are encouring some extra costs because of it too. So let’s support them and hope trails can stay open for as long as Mother Nature allows them. Cheers and if it does get shut down, I would be in favour of donating 50 bucks towards land owner relations for a change. Anything to improve rider experience and keep local trails accessible.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, spyd4r said:

If Ontario gets shut down before the season starts, passes should carry over to next year. it's basically bullshit.. $50 for next season.. what if it never opens?!

Do you also think insurance should give you a rebate?  What about all the costs you spent on a preseason service?  The permit is the cheapest part of anything I spend on a year worth of snowmobiling.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, spyd4r said:

If you have any doubt about the season not opening then you can wait to buy your permit until after it happens. Your choice, its a gamble like many other things in our lives.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, spyd4r said:

9 hours ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

If you have any doubt about the season not opening then you can wait to buy your permit until after it happens. Your choice, its a gamble like many other things in our lives.

x2 on this.

I think think it is fair to have doubts that it might not open, so do but buy until your doubts are gone, if that means paying more, so be it.

Early season permit is already bare bones price, that I believe does not even cover everything, so buying early, don't expect a refund, refund should be based on buying at the full price, period!

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, stoney said:

x2 on this.

I think think it is fair to have doubts that it might not open, so do but buy until your doubts are gone, if that means paying more, so be it.

Early season permit is already bare bones price, that I believe does not even cover everything, so buying early, don't expect a refund, refund should be based on buying at the full price, period!

X3 After 3 winters almost save enough to buy fourth winter for free, ofsc gets money early too. Last winter I waited and ended up just buying one weekend pass. I had two sleds and wasn’t sure which one would sell. Now back to one sled I get permit early again. 
If trails don’t open we will have bigger problems next season, no doubt.