Kids Sleds - Ownership and Insurance

signfan

Just looking for some info on the 120 cc sleds.  Do they come with an ownership?  Do you have to pay taxes on a used purchase?  And are they tough to get insurance for with the kids being the drivers?

12 hours ago, signfan said:

Just looking for some info on the 120 cc sleds.  Do they come with an ownership?  Do you have to pay taxes on a used purchase?  And are they tough to get insurance for with the kids being the drivers?

Call up local mto office and inquire. There will be no value for them in book, not enough of them bought or sold. I see most people use them on their own property only or on a lake. I highly doubt if people even have insurance or ownership on them. Just my guess base on what I see.. They have lights on new ones plus a few other features that make them trail rideable the manufacture claims. 

Edited by Strong Farmer

I went through this a few years ago.

First off, are they new or used sleds?

If new, you should get an ownership from the dealer. If used the MTO requires a notarized letter from a dealership noting Make, model, year and vin number.

You can then get a non-plated (sic) ownership.

If your only using them on your own property, I assume they could just added them to your home policy. I didn't insure the ones I had as they weren't worth more than $1K

Hope this helps

PS check with MTO as things may have changed.

35 minutes ago, signfan said:

The 300 cc sno skoot is different from a 120 isnt it?  I believe it is actually trail legal where as a 120 would not be.  Not sure if this has a bearing on things?

New Yamaha for kids is trail legal too they claim, all with working lights and adjustable suspension. 

I got an ownership for my kids 120 that I bought used.

I believe at the time I requested that the seller register it and have an ownership to sign over to me.

Never insured it though.

Dirt bike world is in a kerfuffle about this issue.

They all dropped out of insuring kids and their bikes. 

Effectively destroying entry to the sport.

Now they have stopped insuring bikes 150cc and under. 

It would truly suck to have a 125 right now.

Government enforces insurance, does not demand the supplier provide it.

Great way to teach kids that big business, government and lawyers all suck.

Well my insurer got back to me.  $300 a year roughly to insure with non licensed operators.  So that answers that one.  Probably makes sense to get an ownership if it's an option.  Now to go shopping.

I saw an add on either Sledjiji or 705 for two 300 freerides, I think the guy in North Bay that is always selling and buying sleds 

1 hour ago, gobills said:

I had ownership, but insurance would not insure them.

Almost better off to buy a bravo or Indy lite or somthing like that. New Yamaha look really nice and are a four stroke so not as much smell on clothing. I get one in future for sure for kido’s. They look neat.