Top 5 Ontario Trails

signfan

Ok something to pass the time (also to give me some new riding areas to check out next season).  List your top 5 and the reasons why.

1. Top A - Petawawa to Mattawa Golf and Ski - Awesome pipeline running.  Big wide and open.  Well looked after by three clubs.

2. Trail 960 in Old Hastings maze.  Big wide logging road.  And well the rest of the maze is awesome too.  Just don't get lost.  Minimal traffic on great roads with consistent grooming.

3. Top B whitney to Eagle lake.  What can you say.  The hydro line road just rolls.  Nice and open.  One of only a few trails in Algonquin park.  Just be careful on an overcast day as it can be tough to tell where the trail runs when the snow and the sky are the same colour.  Has a real remote feel despite being in central ontario.

4. NB308.  Not too far from civilization.  Again those big open roads with little traffic.  Lookout off NB304 is worth checking out as well

5. A111C outside Timmins.  Just a good wide club trail.  Running by the mines and the hull trucks is interesting to see while on a tour.

Anyways that's mine.  What trails are on your Ontario favourites list?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I haven't been a trail rider in 20 years, and I haven't done the east side south of Cochrane, but I would have to say that I would find D trail from The Soo to Nippigon the best place to be - for me.

Much of that length isn't open many of the years, and I really can't say how many times it's ever been open all the way through. Prolly not since 2000?

Also - I'm sure that if it does get open, it likely won't be in the best shape, but that's prolly 700 klicks of the best terrain that I know of.

1 hour ago, signfan said:

Ok something to pass the time (also to give me some new riding areas to check out next season).  List your top 5 and the reasons why.

1. Top A - Petawawa to Mattawa Golf and Ski - Awesome pipeline running.  Big wide and open.  Well looked after by three clubs.

2. Trail 960 in Old Hastings maze.  Big wide logging road.  And well the rest of the maze is awesome too.  Just don't get lost.  Minimal traffic on great roads with consistent grooming.

3. Top B whitney to Eagle lake.  What can you say.  The hydro line road just rolls.  Nice and open.  One of only a few trails in Algonquin park.  Just be careful on an overcast day as it can be tough to tell where the trail runs when the snow and the sky are the same colour.  Has a real remote feel despite being in central ontario.

4. NB308.  Not too far from civilization.  Again those big open roads with little traffic.  Lookout off NB304 is worth checking out as well

5. A111C outside Timmins.  Just a good wide club trail.  Running by the mines and the hull trucks is interesting to see while on a tour.

Anyways that's mine.  What trails are on your Ontario favourites list?

B trail to eagle lake is no more, hasn’t been available for a few years. 

1 minute ago, Strong Farmer said:

B trail to eagle lake is no more, hasn’t been available for a few years. 

Yeah the entire hydro line is still rideable.   You just have the head for Kennisis Lake.  You know what I meant.

• Like 3