" Florida's closed" - If this continues, I'm buying a snowmobile

Canuck

Today, while portaging a canoe near the McDonald river bridge ( Baxter Snow Riders - Port Severn area) I mentioned to a middle aged guy we joined at the waterfalls ( canoe pull out) that we were walking on a snowmobile trail. He asked about the trails, mentioned he got out of the sport when he bought recreational property in Florida.  This year, he might be back. " What else is there to do in winter"?

I sense an uptick in ofsc permit sales and trail use.

Pic of the McDonald river bridge, water side attached. So much time spent up top, in winter....never saw it from the water until this weekend.  

IMG_20200727_114458.jpg

• Like 8

7 minutes ago, Canuck said:

Today, while portaging a canoe near the McDonald river bridge ( Baxter Snow Riders - Port Severn area) I mentioned to a middle aged guy we joined at the waterfalls ( canoe pull out) that we were walking on a snowmobile trail. He asked about the trails, mentioned he got out of the sport when he bought recreational property in Florida.  This year, he might be back. " What else is there to do in winter"?

I sense an uptick in ofsc permit sales and trail use.

Pic of the McDonald river bridge, water side attached. So much time spent up top, in winter....never saw it from the water until this weekend.  

IMG_20200727_114458.jpg

Lets hope its a banner year.. Great pic Canuck...

I would have at least up sold him on a new Doo..:poke2:

Edited by TURBO DOO
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

Some uncertainty right now how club functions will go as of now. The AGM has been cancelled as per our most recent club meeting (via Zoom). Prez was saying it'll likely be some form of electronic gathering.

31 minutes ago, revrnd said:

Some uncertainty right now how club functions will go as of now. The AGM has been cancelled as per our most recent club meeting (via Zoom). Prez was saying it'll likely be some form of electronic gathering.

For me personally,  if this season ends up being a dud, i am most likely moving on from the sport. Where i am in total agreement with this beer flu stuff, im not sure i can personally stay interested sitting out a season etc. Especially if we cannot ride the NCDN....

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, revrnd said:

About time.OTBA never had fancy AGMs.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, gtserider said:

You're dating yourself...

:poke2:

• Like 1

"Bold New Graphics"?

1 hour ago, TURBO DOO said:

For me personally,  if this season ends up being a dud, i am most likely moving on from the sport. Where i am in total agreement with this beer flu stuff, im not sure i can personally stay interested sitting out a season etc. Especially if we cannot ride the NCDN....

lol iv'e sold my sleds many times and said that was it, then it snows and i hear the first sled running down the trail and then it happens. off to the dealer and start the shopping. it's a illness that i enjoy catching

• Like 3

9 hours ago, TURBO DOO said:

welcome to our world. how would you feel if you owned a place in the ncdn, and were told you cant go there? cant go to fix it, cant go to move stuff and sell it. just sit, and wait for whatever happens, with no end in sight, no plan, no nothing. just on hold. Ski 

• Sad 1

It's all going to be about the politicians, lawyers, and insurance companies this year. 

Sad. 

They all did their best to ruin things locally last year. 

One more year of their bullshit shenanigans, and no adequate pressure from the province and OFSC, and I'm done. 

Quebec is just too close. 

It's not about the piddly $200 or so, I just can't take the drama.

It's hard watching my local club administrators, that work SO hard, and spend SO much time biting their tongues, instead of just loading the trailer, and driving 1/2 an hour or so to great sledding.

• Sad 1

11 hours ago, gtserider said:

Doing a bit of reading while at the beach   nothing to do with AGMs   just dating ourselves IMG_20200728_092645242.thumb.jpg.137d0dda65dd7aa8b4095fe4f0f66bcd.jpg

Edited by volunteer2

My parents normally rent a condo in Florida for 4-6 weeks every winter.    They already cancelled their place for this season and my dad told my mom he is buying a sled.   Its probably his last chance to get riding with me before he is too old.   If this winter sucks, it will be my last as well.    I spent WAY too much money chasing snow the last 3-4 years. 

47 minutes ago, scottyr said:

My parents normally rent a condo in Florida for 4-6 weeks every winter.    They already cancelled their place for this season and my dad told my mom he is buying a sled.   Its probably his last chance to get riding with me before he is too old.   If this winter sucks, it will be my last as well.    I spent WAY too much money chasing snow the last 3-4 years. 

Omg! If every sledder in south actually follows they with this, sport will be finished below Barrie no doubt. Hoping for some steady cold weather. I only got in a few good rides last year and made one trip thru that famous marsh and it was a goat path in middle of feb, so sad. 

Edited by Strong Farmer

Well, the farmer in me says that with last winter being so warm, and this summer being so hot, our heating degree days will be shot in the assets soon, and we will likely git into a cold cycle for a while again.

The only wildcard is that cold spring that we had thrown in there ....

???

Edited by Ox
  • Thanks 2

If there's a strong market on used sleds this fall I'll probably take a break for a few years until my kids are older.

2 hours ago, Poo Man said:

If there's a strong market on used sleds this fall I'll probably take a break for a few years until my kids are older.

at least you have that option. your govt is holding my property, tools, and snowmobiles hostage. cant get out of either, cant go sledding here, unless i buy all new EVERYTHING, INC SLEDS! Ski

11 minutes ago, skidooboy said:

...your govt is holding my property, tools, and snowmobiles hostage. cant get out of either, cant go sledding here, unless i buy all new EVERYTHING, INC SLEDS! Ski

Sorry to hear. You've been a tremendous asset to northern Ontario sledding - great information from your team over the years. Hope that this turns around by winter.

The flipside is that Canadians have no access to their Florida properties (and physical assets), as well. 

• Like 1

Just now, Canuck said:

Sorry to hear. You've been a tremendous asset to northern Ontario sledding - great information from your team over the years. Hope that this turns around by winter.

The flipside is that Canadians have no access to their Florida properties (and physical assets), as well. 

thank you Canuck for the props, it is appreciated. always liked your postings as well. 

on the border stuff... you are a little misinformed, on the canadians not being able to come to the states. canadians CAN fly to the states, and return home BUT, when they return to canada, they must quarantine for 14 days before making any contact with anyone. 

we dont have that option. 

i just want to go up, secure my house, barn, bring home some things we NEED (my tools), and go home to michigan. my only contact would be the border officials. maddening!

Ski 

7 minutes ago, Canuck said:

I have a couple friends with property in florida that came home early , They don't know whats happening down there either. they are wondering what their property is like also. Hopefully soon everyone can make the trip to satify themselves

Edited by theedge

46 minutes ago, skidooboy said:

thank you Canuck for the props, it is appreciated. always liked your postings as well. 

on the border stuff... you are a little misinformed, on the canadians not being able to come to the states. canadians CAN fly to the states, and return home BUT, when they return to canada, they must quarantine for 14 days before making any contact with anyone. 

we dont have that option. 

i just want to go up, secure my house, barn, bring home some things we NEED (my tools), and go home to michigan. my only contact would be the border officials. maddening!

Ski 

There must be some way you and your wife can get here and back. In both the Orillia and Parry Sound areas, we are seeing vehicles from Michigan, Florida, Texas, Pennsylvania and New York. Lots of them on the 400 too.

7 minutes ago, catinental couch said:

There must be some way you and your wife can get here and back. In both the Orillia and Parry Sound areas, we are seeing vehicles from Michigan, Florida, Texas, Pennsylvania and New York. Lots of them on the 400 too.

Yep they probably lied.  Most likely said they were coming for essential work.

I frequent a few fishing websites ( most are American) you should hear how much complaining is occuring from Americans that booked a week or two of fishing in Ontario at resorts here and rebooking each month in hopes border will open. But their attitude is irksome ( yours is not Ski ) they see no reason to respect quarantine even if they could get across for a few fish . Unfortunately it is the thousands of those disrespectful Tourists that are chomping at the bit that Canada has to prevent from getting in , to keep our covid numbers at minimum  while we wait for vaccine.  Meanwhile respectful American landowners like Ski are caught up in the fray. Sorry Ski. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, skidooboy said:

at least you have that option. your govt is holding my property, tools, and snowmobiles hostage. cant get out of either, cant go sledding here, unless i buy all new EVERYTHING, INC SLEDS! Ski

I sympathize with you ski, it's just another example of how a few a$$holes ruin everything for the rest of us. With the amount of people already lying to get across I doubt our government is very motivated to further relax the rules. I haven't seen my family from the states since Christmas.

thank you Panther, and Pooman. i know i am frustrated, and irksome too. LOL! :D Ski

Edited by skidooboy
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, skidooboy said:

Ski, we all feel for you ok. It SUCKS. Your not the only one in this circumstance,  i am pretty sure. Unfortunately it is what it is. We wish you guys the best. 

• Like 1