Haydays Cancelled

signfan

Always wanted to go, Maybe next year now.

jerry

• 2 weeks later...

Lets hope the Toronto show isn't next !

cheers

Yeah big east show in new york was just cancelled as well.  Tough to say what will occur in Ontario.  In some ways different situation here.  In other ways no different at all.

Not much chance that the TO show will go on, IMO

5 hours ago, sledjunk said:

Not much chance that the TO show will go on, IMO

I agree and formula 1 was cancelled today too for Montreal. Manufactures usually do a circuit for shows, if a few are cancelled rest will follow suit. 

Edited by Strong Farmer

I am more Nervous about what is going to happen to trail system this winter. Is ofsc going to open trails, close them down part way thru season because of covid etc. Going to be a tough one thru whole system I think, especially in south central with land owner relations. Maybe land owners won’t want snowmobile traffic now, who knows. 

What does Bat Flu have to doo with land owner issues?

Play me connect the dots...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Ox said:

What does Bat Flu have to doo with land owner issues?

Play me connect the dots...

Bottom line is they might not want us on thier property this winter. Be hard to approach other land owners too, with this Covid going around to re route closed sections. Going to be tougher then normal no doubt. 

I suspect a fair # of people will hold off buying a pass after last year's debacle. 

I'll wait to hear about LUPS locally. I'm sure the band of lawyers, politicians and assorted A-holes will want to draw attention to themselves again this year.

At our expense. 

3 hours ago, Strong Farmer said:

Bottom line is they might not want us on thier property this winter. Be hard to approach other land owners too, with this Covid going around to re route closed sections. Going to be tougher then normal no doubt. 

I have never In a number of years as land owner negotiation rep never had any one that wanted a trail on there property. 

Was just a lot of butt kissing.to keep a trail..

If you think covid will affect trail permission from a land owner  you need get pull your head out of your ass...

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TURBO DOO said:

So if we buy trail passes this season,  then the trails dont open, are we gonna get our money back?. 8-)B):rolleyes:....

You know answer to that one. Buy at your own risk and ride at your own risk too. Only guarantee riders ever got was snow guarantee, which they used Barrie area to measure snow amounts  for guarantee. Guess what, riders never got a rebate cause it snowed x amount to ststisfy snow guarantee. What a joke that was. I think motor head is bang on and more will wait until after xmas to buy passes this year. 

Edited by Strong Farmer

Hear that the OFSC is not purchasing any groomers this year.

Don't buy what you are not going to use???

7 hours ago, Elliotgroomer said:

Hear that the OFSC is not purchasing any groomers this year.

Don't buy what you are not going to use???

According to our Governor OFSC purchase 10 new groomers. District 11 to get 2 of them.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

This could go either way for the sledding season.  I'm predicting a banner season with above average sled and permit sales.  Not too many folks going south this winter.  Let's be honest anyone reading this forum in July is buying a permit in October.  We all have too much interest in the sport to risk sitting out for a season.  Only thing I'm second guessing is buying Quenec permits.  May just go the day pass route again this winter for la belle province riding.  No one likes the early end last year, but it was the third week in March.  Not many trips were lost over it.  OFSC made the right call for the time.  No one has more interest in keeping the majority of the trails open than OFSC.

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, signfan said:

This could go either way for the sledding season.  I'm predicting a banner season with above average sled and permit sales.  Not too many folks going south this winter.  Let's be honest anyone reading this forum in July is buying a permit in October.  We all have too much interest in the sport to risk sitting out for a season.  Only thing I'm second guessing is buying Quenec permits.  May just go the day pass route again this winter for la belle province riding.  No one likes the early end last year, but it was the third week in March.  Not many trips were lost over it.  OFSC made the right call for the time.  No one has more interest in keeping the majority of the trails open than OFSC.

You might be right, but I am on the fence WRT this year.  While there may be more people not going south, there may also still be a lot of job security anxiety and at times like that, toys are the first to go.  Also, the hospitality industry will need time and $$$ to adjust to what might be the new normal for the foreseeable future, ie: more cleaning, less capacity.  Those will likely result in higher prices per night, or per meal as businesses struggle to maintain a profit margin with reduced customer base.  Some probably won't make it.

On a side note, I heard yesterday that RV sales are up ~1000%.  That might be the alternative to accommodations, if you find somewhere to park it :-)

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, sledjunk said:

You might be right, but I am on the fence WRT this year.  While there may be more people not going south, there may also still be a lot of job security anxiety and at times like that, toys are the first to go.  Also, the hospitality industry will need time and $$$ to adjust to what might be the new normal for the foreseeable future, ie: more cleaning, less capacity.  Those will likely result in higher prices per night, or per meal as businesses struggle to maintain a profit margin with reduced customer base.  Some probably won't make it.

On a side note, I heard yesterday that RV sales are up ~1000%.  That might be the alternative to accommodations, if you find somewhere to park it :-)

Insulate sled trailer, bring a generator and can sleep on floor with an electric heater inside. Has been on my mind. Air mattress are pretty good. 
Have to pick destinations that allow for several loops and day rides out, that’s all. One nighters are toast this winter I think. 

Edited by Strong Farmer

Well, y'all may not be going south, but we may not be going N either.

I may be looking at 24 hours west more than once. :(

That drive is good for once / year...

4 hours ago, Strong Farmer said:

Insulate sled trailer, bring a generator and can sleep on floor with an electric heater inside. Has been on my mind. Air mattress are pretty good. 
Have to pick destinations that allow for several loops and day rides out, that’s all. One nighters are toast this winter I think. 

do yourself a favor, skip the air mattress. when it is hot they get "clammy", when it is cold, they are colder, and lose air (plus the holes they ALL GET). Grab an rv short queen, or even a full size mattress, and throw it against the wall for travel. you and your back will thank me later. :D 

also, not many rv's will keep you warm enough at -20 to -30c... and the toilet, water will NOT BE VIABLE in those temps. then take the salt, brine, sand, gravel and slop on the roads... and you just effectively ruined your rv (permanently) in one trip. 

your results may vary. Ski

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, skidooboy said:

do yourself a favor, skip the air mattress. when it is hot they get "clammy", when it is cold, they are colder, and lose air (plus the holes they ALL GET). Grab an rv short queen, or even a full size mattress, and throw it against the wall for travel. you and your back will thank me later. :D 

also, not many rv's will keep you warm enough at -20 to -30c... and the toilet, water will NOT BE VIABLE in those temps. then take the salt, brine, sand, gravel and slop on the roads... and you just effectively ruined your rv (permanently) in one trip. 

You do have some valid points. Salt ruins everything in a hurry. Krown or something similar seems to really help though. That new chemical around here that they spray on roads and bridges. It is way worse then salt and my friend says trucks that apply are rusted out in about 5 years. 
I sometimes see rv that snow tracks guys use parked just outside of hailburton. They seem to get along just fine. 

Edited by Strong Farmer

On 7/25/2020 at 2:27 PM, skidooboy said:

Exactly. If I have to take my TT to the shop for pre-season work, the highway is dry & we've had some rain to wash the salt off. No plans to be an early bird & trailer it thru slush.

• 3 weeks later...

Just saw that the Novi snowmobile show is cancelled.  Not totally unexpected, but we had already decided that we were not going to attend due to the virus.  Haven't heard about the Toronto show yet, but I can't see it happening either.

If Toronto show is cancelled then I hope the OFSC can arrange for district maps to be mailed out. 

Jerry

• Like 1