Trailer help question

Dave K

9 hours ago, Blackstar said:

Its been First Class Fleet Services for a couple years now. I've had a few of my trucks in there. They are quick and very fair on pricing.

Baden automotive is good too. They have been fantastic to me and have done a lot of work on an older Jeep, that I reuse to scrap. 

• 3 months later...

After waiting till approx October 1st, and still no sign of my surge  brake parts coming in, I went and ordered a new axle with electric 7 inch brakes.  $650 for new axle and brakes as opposed to $1100 just for the surge parts.  I installed and wired it up this am.  For that kinda money, I can change quite a few different backing plates every year, and still be further ahead.

• Like 4

So I am considering a new trailer.

I would be going from a 7 1/2 wide by 16 hybrid single axle trailer to a tandem axle 7 wide by 18 plus 5 foot vee.

I have 2 sleds and am looking at hauling a third periodically.  The downside is when I haul one sled in the larger trailer.

Anyone with a 18 plus vee absolutely hate it?

Anyone with that sized trailer have comments?

1 hour ago, Sksman said:

I would be going from a 7 1/2 wide by 16 hybrid single axle trailer to a tandem axle 7 wide by 18 plus 5 foot vee.

I have 2 sleds and am looking at hauling a third periodically.  The downside is when I haul one sled in the larger trailer.

I debated the same question last summer when i ordered my PR147 Triton.  I came to the conclusion that for the times when there are 3 sleds, that person can buy a trailer. If it was MY 3 sleds, different story. All depends on personal preference imo. Sledjunk would be helpful here also..Good luck..

Although we are contemplating going to a PR187, as we may be running 3 sleds next season.  

Both my sleds are fairly long.

Sled 1 is a Polaris Assault

Sled 2 is a Polaris Titan.  155 x 20 track.  Sled is 11ft long and takes up a lot of space. 

I am not sure both would fit in the PR 147.   Or if there would be any benefit over my current trailer.  So I debate the 187.   

I should probably just just keep what I have but what’s the fun in that!

1 hour ago, Turbo Doo said:

I debated the same question last summer when i ordered my PR147 Triton.  I came to the conclusion that for the times when there are 3 sleds, that person can buy a trailer. If it was MY 3 sleds, different story. All depends on personal preference imo. Sledjunk would be helpful here also..Good luck..

Although we are contemplating going to a PR187, as we may be running 3 sleds next season.  

So you might have to trade after a year or two?

Thats what I am worried will happen to me.

11 hours ago, Sksman said:

So you might have to trade after a year or two?

Thats what I am worried will happen to me.

I am not worried about trading, or selling. Things happen.  I just did not need a 187, but some things have changed, and next season its looking like we may run 3 sleds, so a 187 it will be. 3 of my own sleds that is. Not hauling someone elses....

IMO, It all comes to personal preference.  We did not need a 187 last season when i ordered the PR147, maybe i should have, but as i said, next season it looks like we will have 3 sleds between Mrs. Turbo Doo and myself, so we will see. 

Edited by Turbo Doo

18 hours ago, Sksman said:

I have the PR187 because there will be times when I will be hauling my 2 136" Vectors and 121 Vector.  Just like when I had the PR147, there are many times when I tow alone (single sled).  When I do, I load from the back, and drive right up to the front.  This gives you sufficient tongue weight and the trailer tows like a dream.

1 hour ago, Sksman said:

At some point I have to tell her something.   

She doesn’t know about the Assault yet.

You did it right... it's better to just do it and beg forgiveness than to ask permission and risk being told no. I don't suppose you could dirty it up a bit and try to pass it off as the old sled... sometimes they don't pay real close attention. I have a number of expensive rods & reels that I passed off as already having for years

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Blackstar said:

I have a 7x23 including the Vee. 1, 2 or 3 sleds, its a dream to pull around.

Only regret is when I need to bring a 4th sled.

One of the guys I know mentioned a 7 x 27.   But at some point I have to stop.

What do you tow with?

50 minutes ago, Sksman said:

One of the guys I know mentioned a 7 x 27.   But at some point I have to stop.

What do you tow with?

Legend has a 7x27, 7x29 and a 7x31.

I have a Dodge 1500.

19 hours ago, Blackstar said:

Legend has a 7x27, 7x29 and a 7x31.

I have a Dodge 1500.

I know the 7 x 23 is well within the 1500 tow capabilities.

How do you find the towing mpg?

On 11/17/2020 at 7:35 PM, Sksman said:

I know the 7 x 23 is well within the 1500 tow capabilities.

How do you find the towing mpg?

I don't pay a whole lot of attention to be honest but from what I remember, the truck typically shows 15-18/ L/100kms under normal conditions. With the trailer loaded and attached it drops to 25-28.

9 hours ago, Blackstar said:

I don't pay a whole lot of attention to be honest but from what I remember, the truck typically shows 15-18/ L/100kms under normal conditions. With the trailer loaded and attached it drops to 25-28.

I see 18 -20 l/100kms towing my hybrid.  Especially if I put my foot into it a little.  

2 hours ago, Sksman said:

I see 18 -20 l/100kms towing my hybrid.  Especially if I put my foot into it a little.  

Wait ... what?

You wunna post that again ???

Slowly, and out loud .... 

:wtf:

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Blackstar said:

3 hours ago, Sksman said:

What years are your trucks though, gas usage has changed a fair amount with the 5.7 in the Ram over the last little while?

Another factor to consider is your truck fulltime AWD or have the option of 2WD, 4WD or AWD.

Plus a hybrid vs. a full size trailer, even with a v-nose is not really apples to apples.

With my hybrid in a Ram 2500 gasser I see 18/19 L/100km  in the winter, summer is better of course when I occasionally use it.

My 14 Ram 1500 5.7 normally runs around 10-11 L/100km. 

Put the trailer on (12' clamshell) and it drops to 15 L/100km. The 3:21 rear end makes a big difference.

Wife’s Silverado has 3:73 gears. Good all around gear. Best mileage empty with her driving it was 9.9 l/100km. Box loaded and two Jetskiis behind it at 115 kmh was 19l/100km. That is the worst it has been so far. Mind you when I have heavy stuff and tandem trailer behind, I use the dually. Lower profile tires and 4:10 gears. It is just plain hard on fuel. 

9 hours ago, Ox said:

Wait ... what?

You wunna post that again ???

Slowly, and out loud .... 

:wtf:

2017 Ram 1500 sport pulling a 7.5wide x 16 Mission hybrid trailer 1 sled driving 416 from Ottawa to Milton on 401 and average was above 20 l/100km travelling at 115 to 120ish.   

Without trailer i see avg around 14.1l/100km.  

154,000kms on truck and I have every fill up tracked on an app.   Best tank ever was high 11 l/100km.