Hotel/ resort rentals this winter.

Strong Farmer

8 minutes ago, Panther340 said:

It is that rebellious " wild west" attitude that Americans have about covoid and vaccines, that has them with record high problems . 

Randy Hillier & his followers here in Ontario aren't much better IMO

"I want to get a haircut!"

STHU!

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, revrnd said:

I'm not really sure if the border closure currently in place will impact sledding in northern Ontario. When I started riding up there, yes there were a lot of Amrican sledders both in tour groups & on their own. I think their numbers dropped off the cliff after 9-11 (requiring passports) & haven't come close to returning.

Erik, you're the exception to the knowledge base deficit as you're very familiar w/ how things work & are going on here. A lot of Americans have very little knowledge about Canada. I know in the past I've see on forums where folks have asked where's a good place to ride in Canada. When asked what province, they haven't got a clue about our provinces.

Sledding season up north won't fire up until Dec', so hopefully guidelines are closer to normal.

I would venture to guess that at least 50% of the sleds heading up D trail are still Yanks.

Most of the rest from The Soo.

Only a few from eastern Province.

Especially if you are talking about staying somewhere.

Halfway Haven and Motels in Wawa will Shirley be at least 1/2 Yanks - but yes - way down from the early 2000's or even late 90's

The Great Recession was the key player in loss here, not 9/11, and we didn't have to have actual passports until prolly around 2008 as well? (yes - fallout from 911, but years later)

So The Crash combined with the passport thing together is what really made the change, but also - most guys will buy that $200 trail pass for a few years, but then decide to stay Stateside after that.

And by 2008 most guys had given it a try, so ...

• Like 1

I just checked & Deckers are no longer offering tours in Ontario or the lower 48. They've moved to AK as OTG Rentals. We had seen them over the years.

35 minutes ago, Panther340 said:

It is that rebellious " wild west" attitude that Americans have about covoid and vaccines, that has them with record high problems . 

that is one broad brush panther. i am not an anti vax'er by any means but, i am pro testing and REAL, LONG TERM, PEER REVIEWED, CLINICAL TRIALS. AND USING COMMON SENSE WHEN CONTACTING OTHERS, SICK OR NOT. I have been that way for 20+ years. 

ALSO,  we have 10 times the population, just by that, we will have 10 times (or more) infection rate. the southern states blow up is sad but... how many of those people from texas, arizona, or florida, are going to come to canada, to take you over? :D  i bet not any, if any at all. :D 

look at michigan... detroit is highish (getting under control), but, DETROIT IS NOT THE WHOLE OF MICHIGAN! northern lower, the U.P, (sault ste marie), have little to no cases, just like algoma. what is it going to hurt, for me to travel to my home, make my repairs, quarantine, self isolate, avoid townspeople, and then return to michigan, with only the border guard as my (our) contact?

we have some stupid people, just like you guys do. dont back us all down into that corner, eh?

Ski

Edited by skidooboy

28 minutes ago, revrnd said:

I just checked & Deckers are no longer offering tours in Ontario or the lower 48. They've moved to AK as OTG Rentals. We had seen them over the years.

Well, I'm not 100% sure that it was Decker's (but I think that it was) but I know that I seen an interview with one of those fellas in one of the snowmachine mags this year. 

My guess would likely be Snowtech, but it could have been one of the others. 
(I git several mags)

Anyhow - I think the guy had retired (well into his 70's?) and his wife had died a few years prior?

5 minutes ago, Ox said:

Well, I'm not 100% sure that it was Decker's (but I think that it was) but I know that I seen an interview with one of those fellas in one of the snowmachine mags this year. 

My guess would likely be Snowtech, but it could have been one of the others. 
(I git several mags)

Anyhow - I think the guy had retired (well into his 70's?) and his wife had died a few years prior?

Dick & Audrey would be getting up there in years. I'm thinking Chuck the youngest son is a bit older than me. The older brothers were racing professionally in the 70s when I was a teenager.

moot point now... extended border closure at least another 30 days. i really hope, when i get there, the house is fubarred... i will turn an insurance claim in, take the cash, and WALK AWAY. Ski

Shirley you have someone in town that would check on it fer yuh?

Just now, skidooboy said:

moot point now... extended border closure at least another 30 days. i really hope, when i get there, the house is fubarred... i will turn an insurance claim in, take the cash, and WALK AWAY. Ski

As an FYI, some home insurance policies in Ontario require the policy holder to have their homes periodically checked when the home is empty for periods of time (holidays, etc.).

Up until now, with the pandemic status, that was no issue. we were there every 10-21 days. now... we cant do anything.

ever tried to get ANYTHING DONE by a contractor in northern ontario? i mean far north ontario? 12 contractors called for an hvac system replacement... one, ONE returned our calls, then said he would put us on a list, and he might be able to get to it before the snow flies. roof... same thing, multiple people called, one returned call, to say he was too busy. seal the driveway... yeah, i will get to it... oh, we forgot about you, and now we are done sealing for the season. these were all highly recommended businesses too.  

the neighbor is mowing the lawn for us, without our asking or knowledge, and wont take anything for it. (trying to figure out how to do something nice for them). we are humbled by their help. they are great people!

my stress comes from A LOT of different angles on this. Last fall, the township installed a new water main, new supply line to the house, dug up the lawn, refilled, last fall, and replanted grass this spring. didnt leak all winter but, after the thaw??? who knows. 

then we lost close to 4 feet of snow, in less than 10 days... may fifth, through the 15th. what did that due to my poured wall basement, with a wood over gravel floor? 

then the barn... we know 2 sections of snow shield were RIPPED off the metal roof, leaving 24 total exposed holes from the retaining screws. again... who am i going to get to fix/repair that but, myself??? we were supposed to have a new drain tile installed at the barn to aid with drainage this summer, as we get water in under the rat wall area, when it rains hard, or melts, even with gutters installed. lower walls are getting wet/rotting. this is not a camp, not a seasonal place, it is a year round home.

back to the lawn mowing... if the lawn gets over 8", the township fines you. if you still dont mow, they do, then charge you. i have over an acre at the barn... no lawn mowing services in town. ask a neighbor to push mow it?... NOT ON YOUR LIFE. i did that the first year, then bought a tractor, just for that, due to size. 

to say i am stressed, is an UNDERSTATEMENT. 

Ski

• Like 2

I feel for ya Ski you are obviously one of the good ones that would not lie about their health or quarantine...would not go to any stores or gas ..Timmies ..Hardware stores until after 14 days clear health......But unfortunately there are many that were lying and pretending to quarantine ...or where or what they were doing. We see the stories and cringe. We have done well. And might make it until vaccine, and the majority will gladly take it . ( yes I had bad shingles but my kids still get vaccinated. ) I wish I lived or cottaged up Wawa way and I would gladly drive to Dub and your place for you to check and arrange repairs. Of note we have many cottagers from Ohio and Detroit area around here . We would rather they not find a loop hole to get across and spread virus. We wish Trudeau would make airports tighter from China and other risky countries too. 

Edited by Panther340
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, skidooboy said:

that is one broad brush panther. i am not an anti vax'er by any means but, i am pro testing and REAL, LONG TERM, PEER REVIEWED, CLINICAL TRIALS. AND USING COMMON SENSE WHEN CONTACTING OTHERS, SICK OR NOT. I have been that way for 20+ years. 

ALSO,  we have 10 times the population, just by that, we will have 10 times (or more) infection rate. the southern states blow up is sad but... how many of those people from texas, arizona, or florida, are going to come to canada, to take you over? :D  i bet not any, if any at all. :D 

look at michigan... detroit is highish (getting under control), but, DETROIT IS NOT THE WHOLE OF MICHIGAN! northern lower, the U.P, (sault ste marie), have little to no cases, just like algoma. what is it going to hurt, for me to travel to my home, make my repairs, quarantine, self isolate, avoid townspeople, and then return to michigan, with only the border guard as my (our) contact?

we have some stupid people, just like you guys do. dont back us all down into that corner, eh?

Ski

10 hours ago, Panther340 said:

I feel for ya Ski you are obviously one of the good ones that would not lie about their health or quarantine...would not go to any stores or gas ..Timmies ..Hardware stores until after 14 days clear health......But unfortunately there are many that were lying and pretending to quarantine ...or where or what they were doing. We see the stories and cringe. We have done well. And might make it until vaccine, and the majority will gladly take it . ( yes I had bad shingles but my kids still get vaccinated. ) I wish I lived or cottaged up Wawa way and I would gladly drive to Dub and your place for you to check and arrange repairs. Of note we have many cottagers from Ohio and Detroit area around here . We would rather they not find a loop hole to get across and spread virus. We wish Trudeau would make airports tighter from China and other risky countries too. 

Panther340, I absolutely agree with you.

Ski, I agree about a rushed vaccine.  I would want a well tested, and peer reviewed solution.  Also, I know you would do everything properly, however, as is always the case, the rules have to take the 'others' into account.  If someone comes in at the Sault, for example, stops for gas, has lunch, then drives to Dub.  What will the cost be to 1) ensure they are self isolating, and 2) if they happen to be infected, do the contact tracing just for the few stops that I mentioned.  Then multiply that by the number of Americans that have cottages all across Ontario.  Sorry, just not worth it.

As far as the initial topic is concerned, I think sledding may be very different this year.  Are restaurants really going to want our dripping helmets, gloves and, eww, balaclavas draped on their surfaces.  Sometimes, it is hard enough to get a cleaned table and now they will have a lot more surfaces to disinfect.  Plus, with social distancing rules, there will be fewer tables available. 

As SF mentioned, what will the rules for hotels / motels be with regard to cleaning after each guest?  Probably a lot more stringent than in the past.

Wouldn't surprise me if saddle bagging is not possible this year.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, sledjunk said:

As far as the initial topic is concerned, I think sledding may be very different this year.  Are restaurants really going to want our dripping helmets, gloves and, eww, balaclavas draped on their surfaces.  Sometimes, it is hard enough to get a cleaned table and now they will have a lot more surfaces to disinfect.  Plus, with social distancing rules, there will be fewer tables available. 

As SF mentioned, what will the rules for hotels / motels be with regard to cleaning after each guest?  Probably a lot more stringent than in the past.

Sad to think this could happen.   But I'm sure it will be a different  winter compared to past regarding travel by sled...

Panther340, I absolutely agree with you.

Ski, I agree about a rushed vaccine.  I would want a well tested, and peer reviewed solution.  Also, I know you would do everything properly, however, as is always the case, the rules have to take the 'others' into account.  If someone comes in at the Sault, for example, stops for gas, has lunch, then drives to Dub.  What will the cost be to 1) ensure they are self isolating, and 2) if they happen to be infected, do the contact tracing just for the few stops that I mentioned.  Then multiply that by the number of Americans that have cottages all across Ontario.  Sorry, just not worth it.

Yesterday on the news there was an article saying that so far Health Canada has turned 21422 names over to the police of people who have apparently not self isolated since entering Canada.

Edited by PISTON LAKE CRUISER
  • Thanks 1

Sorry, the proper number is apparently 21,422 names given to the police of people suspected of non isolating and people who couldn't be contacted.

Maybe when the RCMP is finished with Justine they'll get right on that. :roll:

They sure put on a good show when terrorists blocked our rail lines. 

And as baggage handlers at our "unconventional" crossings. 

Made me proud.

• Like 2

People are renting cottages and booking hotels right now.

Plus essential travel never stopped and won't.

Now this was a dumb move.  Thanks Justin.

9 hours ago, sledjunk said:

SJ, about your last statement.  If thats the case, lets hope not,  i will be evaluating staying in the sport...PERIOD...

Edited by TURBO DOO

4 hours ago, Strong Farmer said:

All about money I guess. Expensive to leave those seats empty, but I be afraid to use washroom on plane too. One washroom for 100 people is scary. 

Of course its all about money, but take a look at some real data.  Texas (one of the worst covid) flu deaths in 2018, 2019 about 10000, covid just hit 3400 and 84% of our deaths in Canada came from old age homes.  What science are we following?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

Of course its all about money, but take a look at some real data.  Texas (one of the worst covid) flu deaths in 2018, 2019 about 10000, covid just hit 3400 and 84% of our deaths in Canada came from old age homes.  What science are we following?

Have to wait and see what numbers look like if this thing lasts a few years. 

15 hours ago, sledjunk said:

Yeah so you have the leave your helmet on your sled.  Not the end of the world.  Buy a bike lock and lock it to your handlebars if you're worried about theft.  There's solutions to every problem.  I'll be riding and I'm sure the restaurants will want to see us still.  Very good point though.  One to think about for sure.

• Like 1

"Steal your helmet" 

LOL!

Not like on mine!

I have been gobbling up a certain old Lazer helmet anytime I find one in my size on ebay.

Mine was worn and I forgot it hanging on the headache rack of my truck in the dark one night in Wyoming.

Tried on a few new ones that next fall, and couldn't seem to pull them down far enough?

Ended up I hated the one that I bought, and - that's when I started searching for clean/used units like my old one.

I have a stash now, but not likely anyone is too concerned about a 25 yr old helmet. 

Not like I park anywhere that has people usually anyhow ....

Edited by Ox
  • Like 1