Hotel/ resort rentals this winter.

Strong Farmer

So you guys think there will be a minimum two night stay required at most destinations. Most resorts this summer won’t do a one night rental due to covid and extra cleaning required and have to keep room empty for an extra few days inbetween stays too. Even mid week they want a min two night rental. I sure hope usually places will be open this winter and not shut down and stay empty. Any thoughts? 

Will the trails be rideable in 2 weeks?  Lol.  Need a crystal ball to predict this one.  I'm on the optimistic side that we will get to stage three nation wide in Canada.  Keep the border closed and the resorts will have to suffer through not having American tourists up here.  Hopefully sledding will see a surge in use like boating has this summer because there is no international travel options.  Who knows though.  To soon to predict.

watch what you wish for signfan... no tourists, less permit money, may collapse an already fragile system.

personally (biased), they should implement some sort of screening process, and allow certain individuals (like property owners, with the means of no contact travel, able to quarantine no contact, and negative covid test) to cross, periodically.

the system (both sides of border) is so flawed now, canadians can fly back and forth to the u.s, and they havent stopped flights from china but, any u.s citizen cannot cross, unless they are medical, military, or bringing in goods. 

something should be done for property owners soon. how long can people go without maintaining their property?have you ever tried to get a lawn mowed, roof repaired/replaced, hvac repair replaced in northern ontario... almost IMPOSSIBLE. remember, all those properties are insured by canadian providers. when they (we) do get to see our places, and find damage, there is going to be a large influx of claims, that will directly affect all canadian policy holders. 

Ski 

• Like 1

Personally I agree with keeping the border closed until the US can get their curve flattened. Their efforts at this point to do that do not seem to be working in many states.

A couple of weeks ago a couple from New York City who own property in Ontario (near Bayfield) somehow got into Ontario knowing they would have to self quarantine for 14 days. Before they came, they had made an appointment for the local cable company to come and install cable TV the first morning after their arrival. (The installer saw their license plate and inquired by phone before entering if they were finished the self quarantine. They said no and he refused to go into the residence. The woman involved was stopped by the OPP as she was about to enter the local grocery store a few hours later. When asked if she had completed the self quarantine, she apparently replied that she hadn't but would be going to start it as soon as she got groceries and booze.

Their are always some who will follow the rules and we cannot allow anyone from any outside country to ruin the flatter curve that Canadians have been able to accomplish at this point. JMHO

• Like 2

3 hours ago, skidooboy said:

personally (biased), they should implement some sort of screening process, and allow certain individuals (like property owners, with the means of no contact travel, able to quarantine no contact, and negative covid test) to cross, periodically.

Unfortunately a few people wouldn't comply and we know what the end result will be. Ontario is about to open up even more and a setback would be way more costly to our economy then allowing American tourism. My sister and mother in law both live in the states and badly want to visit. Even with a plan of doing a 14 day quarantine in our basement apartment wasn't allowed. Wishing you all the best with your property.

Actually, by the sounds of it, NY is about all but done with this thing.

They had the big burn through right away, and I saw it reported last night that they just had their first day of no related deaths at all, so ...

But the numbers are so biased ...

My daughter works on the Bat Flu floor frequently in Columbus, and she said that she had a guy that got buggered up in an auto accident (I think?) and was ready to leave and go to rehab, but he tested + for Wuhan, and even tho he shows no symptoms, the rehab facility won't take him until he tests - for 2 days in a row.

She said that scenario isn't "normal", but it's not uncommon either.

Making the "number of cases" escalate higher than what would be considered "real"

58 minutes ago, Ox said:

even tho he shows no symptoms, the rehab facility won't take him until he tests - for 2 days in a row.

Yah we have that type of thing up here to where they have to have 2 negative tests after a positive. I stand to be corrected but thought that even if you don't show any symptoms but have a positive test you could still spread covid 19.

I would ass_u_me so too.

Thus why they can't be moved.

2 hours ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

Personally I agree with keeping the border closed until the US can get their curve flattened. Their efforts at this point to do that do not seem to be working in many states.

A couple of weeks ago a couple from New York City who own property in Ontario (near Bayfield) somehow got into Ontario knowing they would have to self quarantine for 14 days. Before they came, they had made an appointment for the local cable company to come and install cable TV the first morning after their arrival. (The installer saw their license plate and inquired by phone before entering if they were finished the self quarantine. They said no and he refused to go into the residence. The woman involved was stopped by the OPP as she was about to enter the local grocery store a few hours later. When asked if she had completed the self quarantine, she apparently replied that she hadn't but would be going to start it as soon as she got groceries and booze.

Their are always some who will follow the rules and we cannot allow anyone from any outside country to ruin the flatter curve that Canadians have been able to accomplish at this point. JMHO

people like that, should be fined, deported, and have their border crossing status revoked for 365 days. those types, are what ruins it for the rest of the people that can, and want to follow the rules in place. sounds familiar.. cans, trespassing, off trail riders. small groups ruin it for the rest. sad. Ski

9 hours ago, skidooboy said:

watch what you wish for signfan... no tourists, less permit money, may collapse an already fragile system.

the system (both sides of border) is so flawed now, canadians can fly back and forth to the u.s, and they havent stopped flights from china but, any u.s citizen cannot cross, unless they are medical, military, or bringing in goods. 

something should be done for property owners soon. how long can people go without maintaining their property?have you ever tried to get a lawn mowed, roof repaired/replaced, hvac repair replaced in northern ontario... almost IMPOSSIBLE. remember, all those properties are insured by canadian providers. when they (we) do get to see our places, and find damage, there is going to be a large influx of claims, that will directly affect all canadian policy holders. 

Ski 

I think the closure will hurt the Quebec system more than Ontario.  They seem to see a lot more american sledders.  It's definately not what we are wishing for.  It is the reality though.  This works both ways.  Lot's of canadians that own property in Arizona and Florida that aren't visiting their properties.  Terrible situation, but given where things stand I'm 100% sure the US would have the same border closed policy if the trends were reversed in the two countries.  Wait Trump did try to cut our supply of PPE off to serve American interests didn't he??  The idea of allowing property owners in has merit.  Like everyone stated it only takes a few bad apples to ruin it for all of us.

• Like 1

Here's a list that shows how well Ontario is flattening the curve.

c19 case numbers.jpg

• Like 4

not trying to be a dick, just giving some information.... you do understand what the term flattening of the curve is correct? it means we understand ALMOST EVERYONE will get this virus, and the health care field needed time to beef up supplies, protocols, treatment, and policies.

CANADA (ESPECIALLY ONTARIO), IS CRUSHING THIS! YOU ALL ARE DOING AN AWESOME JOB!!! 

BUT, these sanctions were not done to eliminate the virus, just slow its infection rates. to me, it seems canadians think that they can eliminate the virus entirely by hunkering down. this virus has shown to keep infecting even with strict measures in place. the virus isnt going anywhere. even with a vaccine, that will be rushed... do you really want to take it?

look at chicken pox as an example. we all had it as kids (i am 53 now). those that got the vaccine much later than our generation, are JUST FINDING OUT, that they might not get chicken pox but, as twenty and thirty somethings, they are not getting the pox but, are getting PAINFUL shingles (15-20 years into this vaccine). what side effects do you think we will get with a rushed vaccine for this? 

the u.s has 9 or 10 times the population, and are more closely living together, than the Canadian population. our infection rate in some small areas (large towns, with huge populations) comes from our stupidity with the not following sanitary, and hygiene measures, and common sense. we will be completely infected, and rebounding faster than canada (both good and bad).  that is what herd immunity is. 

Trying times for sure. Ski

Edited by skidooboy
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, skidooboy said:

not trying to be a dick, just giving some information.... you do understand what the term flattening of the curve is correct? it means we understand ALMOST EVERYONE will get this virus, and the health care field needed time to beef up supplies, protocols, treatment, and policies.

So does that mean that all of us over 60 with underlying health issues are in fact doomed and we should make sure we keep out life insurance as long as possible and enjoy the last days we have left ?

6 minutes ago, Big Pussy said:

So does that mean that all of us over 60 with underlying health issues are in fact doomed and we should make sure we keep out life insurance as long as possible and enjoy the last days we have left ?

Fact is age is just a number. As long as you are healthy and take care of yourself,  I don’t see age being a high risk unless you live in one of those crazy homes. Look at mayor hazel. She did more in a day then most people have her age. 

Edited by Strong Farmer

22 minutes ago, Big Pussy said:

never said that. Ski

3 hours ago, skidooboy said:

CANADA (ESPECIALLY ONTARIO), IS CRUSHING THIS! YOU ALL ARE DOING AN AWESOME JOB!!! 

BUT, these sanctions were not done to eliminate the virus, just slow its infection rates. to me, it seems canadians think that they can eliminate the virus entirely by hunkering down. this virus has shown to keep infecting even with strict measures in place. the virus isnt going anywhere. even with a vaccine, that will be rushed... do you really want to take it?

look at chicken pox as an example. we all had it as kids (i am 53 now). those that got the vaccine much later than our generation, are JUST FINDING OUT, that they might not get chicken pox but, as twenty and thirty somethings, they are not getting the pox but, are getting PAINFUL shingles (15-20 years into this vaccine). what side effects do you think we will get with a rushed vaccine for this? 

the u.s has 9 or 10 times the population, and are more closely living together, than the Canadian population. our infection rate in some small areas (large towns, with huge populations) comes from our stupidity with the not following sanitary, and hygiene measures, and common sense. we will be completely infected, and rebounding faster than canada (both good and bad).  that is what herd immunity is. 

Actually, having chicken pox as a kid, does not immunize you from getting shingles.  Ask me how I know!!!

Secondly, the current findings seem to point to the immunity from being infected by COVID-19 is not very long lasting.  Apparently, the scientists are not sure if there will be herd immunity with this.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Strong Farmer said:

Just wait until they open schools. We will be back to ground zero in a heart beat and locked down again. 

Actually some of the major hospitals in Canada disagree with you. And if they use normal school days ( 5 days a week) and your school bubble is primarily the 26 students in your class....that is much easier to trace ...versus having a part time school bubble and part time various babie sitter / daycare bubbles and your regular family bubble. Get the kids back to school and have one family bubble and one school bubble because so much easier to trace....if tracing even needed since young children seem far more resistant and far less infectious . High school however is different matter since multiple classroom groups and rebellious to distancing...( and infectious) so they may need online schooling longer. 

11 hours ago, skidooboy said:

I believe what Canadians think is that the longer we can keep our citizens from contracting Covid 19 the better chance there is that a working vaccine will be available and a flatter curve will help us get there with fewer unnecessary Covid deaths. 

Yesterday on the news a Canadian vaccine is currently being tested on volunteers, if it works as expected, it will likely be available by next spring. It is not unreasonable to think that a working vaccine can happen.

As Sledjunk mentioned there is currently no proof that you won't get Covid 19 more than once. Personally, I would rather hunker down and see fewer initial Covid cases and deaths in our country. If we can accomplish that, it would also mean fewer second round cases God help us, that becomes a reality.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, sledjunk said:

Actually, having chicken pox as a kid, does not immunize you from getting shingles.  Ask me how I know!!!

Secondly, the current findings seem to point to the immunity from being infected by COVID-19 is not very long lasting.  Apparently, the scientists are not sure if there will be herd immunity with this.

i didnt say you couldnt get shingles if you get chicken pox (some adults 45-50+ will get shingles after having pox). i am saying the kids who were vaccined and didnt get pox, are now getting shingles as a side affect of the vaccine, that has been in place for almost 20 years. see where i am going with this, and rushing a covid vaccine?? my wife is in the medical field, and one smart cookie... and she said, she would NEVER get a rushed covid vaccine. NEVER! Ski

Edited by skidooboy
  • Like 2

It is that rebellious " wild west" attitude that Americans have about corona and vaccines, that has them with record high problems . 

Edited by Panther340

I'm not really sure if the border closure currently in place will impact sledding in northern Ontario. When I started riding up there, yes there were a lot of Amrican sledders both in tour groups & on their own. I think their numbers dropped off the cliff after 9-11 (requiring passports) & haven't come close to returning.

Erik, you're the exception to the knowledge base deficit as you're very familiar w/ how things work & are going on here. A lot of Americans have very little knowledge about Canada. I know in the past I've see on forums where folks have asked where's a good place to ride in Canada. When asked what province, they haven't got a clue about our provinces.

Sledding season up north won't fire up until Dec', so hopefully guidelines are closer to normal.