Wawa to ThunderBay

gtserider

There is a new $ 777 million dollar dual transmission line being built between these towns. Substantial infrastructure is being put in place,ie roads. I was wondering if when they are done the possibility of using some of that for Snowmachine trails is there? 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, gtserider said:

There is a new $ 777 million dollar dual transmission line being built between these towns. Substantial infrastructure is being put in place,ie roads. I was wondering if when they are done the possibility of using some of that for Snowmachine trails is there? 

I read an article on it in I believe commercial news and it stated something to the effect that "sites" would be returned as close as possible to the way they were before construction when the job is complete. I'm not sure whether access roads are classed as part of "sites" or not.

16 minutes ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

I read an article on it in I believe commercial news and it stated something to the effect that "sites" would be returned as close as possible to the way they were before construction when the job is complete. I'm not sure whether access roads are classed as part of "sites" or not.

I'm going to guess they are speaking of the 5-6 work camps. "sites" .They need access roads for maintenance latter on.But the MNRF has requested many a strange things in the past.

VERY doubtful, any type of recreational trail system will be allowed access to this. a big portion will be through, around, or near pukaskawa national park. will be designated as "wilderness/natural area".  that and it will be on the hyrdro line right of way, and with our newest litigious societal procedures... no one will give LUP's for that liability, ESPECIALLY, in that terrain.  Ski

35 minutes ago, gtserider said:

I'm going to guess they are speaking of the 5-6 work camps. "sites" .They need access roads for maintenance latter on.But the MNRF has requested many a strange things in the past.

Would maintenance in the rough terrain areas not be done by helicopter as it is in many other areas of Canada? There's quite a bit of rough terrain on that route isn't there?

• Like 1

I have seen two versions of the routing of these new lines and one ran through the park while the one I last pulled up looked to avoid the shorter route and run up very near White River before jumping over Hwy17 and then following the existing power lines to the west. 
It may only be parallel with the existing power lines, but the trail does follow parts of the old lines. 

E6E163A8-E5CB-49E2-AA88-D40FEDD8CAC6.png

• Like 3

Yeah, that is BIG country in there for sure - which [I'm sure] is why the hwy doesn't run in there.

Sure, they doo most with choppers, but in the case of something major - they will always need to be able to git in there with heavy equipment.

Many years ago I turned in a pole that had one leg airing out, somewhere down by Wakamata I think...

If the new line DOES actually stay outside the park - I would hope that the OFSC can pick it up!

I would ass_u-me the park to be the reason that it's not on that hydro line now. 

So, is this a replacement line, or in addition to?

I wouldn't think that there would need to be an additional line eh?

From what I remember of TOP D in '08 or '09, the trail used forest access roads from White River to the White Lake crossing. From there to the M'wadge turnoff, we were on the powerline. I think that stretch is relatively mild (my S-I-L would disagree) compared to the terrain from Marathon to Nipigon. If CN could be convinced to allow recreation use on the former Kinghorn Sub' (I know I'm delusional) the portion from Nipigon to TB, would be relatively easy. But from what we know there is little to no interest in sledding in that area.

16 minutes ago, revrnd said:

From what I remember of TOP D in '08 or '09, the trail used forest access roads from White River to the White Lake crossing. From there to the M'wadge turnoff, we were on the powerline. I think that stretch is relatively mild (my S-I-L would disagree) compared to the terrain from Marathon to Nipigon. If CN could be convinced to allow recreation use on the former Kinghorn Sub' (I know I'm delusional) the portion from Nipigon to TB, would be relatively easy. But from what we know there is little to no interest in sledding in that area.

We can only dream.  Reports i have heard, is Thunder Bay is not the most sledder friendly place..

• Sad 1

26 minutes ago, TURBO DOO said:

We can only dream.  Reports i have heard, is Thunder Bay is not the most sledder friendly place..

Hey it's June in the middle of a pandemic! It's about all we can do!

We should do a survey, Apsley, Huntsville, Lindsay or TB to find out which locale is the least snowmobile friendly place in Ontario.

On a brighter note, maybe I should've had the GoPro for my ride from Timmins back to Cochrane. LOL

:poke2:

1 hour ago, revrnd said:

There is a huge interest in sledding, just not riding groomed trails.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, revrnd said:

Hey it's June in the middle of a pandemic! It's about all we can do!

We should do a survey, Apsley, Huntsville, Lindsay or TB to find out which locale is the least snowmobile friendly place in Ontario.

On a brighter note, maybe I should've had the GoPro for my ride from Timmins back to Cochrane. LOL

:poke2:

Or for your first day riding. Could've seen me waving at you then...:wavey:

• Haha 1

Marathon snow kickers posted last season that some of this work would benefit them with some roads being upgraded.  Fact is hydro lines typically are not ideal trails when the terrain gets rough.  Pipelines lead to much better trails.  Nice to see this project proceed.  It does go around the park.  Trail from Marathon to Thunder Bay is most likely a pipe dream for the foreseable future.  

Lindsay wins for most unfriendly to snowmobiling.  Apsley has tried.  It's better than it was, but still not ideal.

• Thanks 1

Well, for staters, pipelines don't go through rough terrain.

Yeah, rough terrain hydro will have "exits" out into the bush to go around swamps, gorges, and big hills. 

While that is GREAT as far as I'm concerned, I doo understand that there is always issues with deadfall and such in those bush trail areas.

I have no use for R/R grades, but some like them, and I'm sure they are easy to maintain, provided the groomer opperator can stay awake going in a flat a d strait line for 16 hours. 

8 hours ago, Ox said:

Well, for staters, pipelines don't go through rough terrain.

Yeah, rough terrain hydro will have "exits" out into the bush to go around swamps, gorges, and big hills. 

While that is GREAT as far as I'm concerned, I doo understand that there is always issues with deadfall and such in those bush trail areas.

I have no use for R/R grades, but some like them, and I'm sure they are easy to maintain, provided the groomer opperator can stay awake going in a flat a d strait line for 16 hours. 

Lol.

Sorta correct.  You don't get something built across this country without running into Rock somewhere.  The energy east route which is in service as a natural gas line runs through Dryden and Kenora.  No lack of solid rock and rough terrain in that area.  To build pipelines if they are dealing with rock they blast so they can dig which is why we get left with awesome terrain for sled trails.  They definately avoid rough terrain where they can.  I'm not saying this transmission line wouldn't help for connectivity.  Just noteing Hydro will build for their needs.  Every river, swamp and large hill will have an access road to hwy 17 to go around it for service.  Then they will come in at the obstacle from the other direction.  Agreed we have more than enough rail grade trails in Ontario as it is.

• Like 1