Beneficiary of 2021 Skidoo 'Snow Check'

tricky

"Think I have found a nearly virgin 2017 TNT(129) 900. Not saying any more until I own it."

Well it took a little longer than I thought it would, but I stuck with the plan until I got my nearly new, "new-to-me"  129" XS chassis 900 ACE. I squeezed in two more trips north and when I returned home on March 21 the whole world had changed, maybe forever.  Because of Covid-19 it took until today to meet my new 'date with destinations'. I ended up with the slightly prettier sister sled to the 2017 that I was originally interested in. The '17 had 2286 miles, but the seller had more recently also decided to trade in his almost identical 2018 with 1278 miles and the Montana 610 with Skidoo mounting extension to the glove box. These sleds were available for what the dealer had offered in trade-in at snow check time. That made them over $1500 cheaper than any similar sleds I have seen, and I followed '17 and '18 models like a hawk all winter, knowing that they were the last of the 40 litre tank trail sleds. This may be the last sled I ever own and i couldn't be happier with my find.

If anyone is looking for a similar sled for similar reasons that I was, the 2017 is available for $7500 plus HST. It is studded with Woody's studs just like the one I bought. The older studs look older but are still sharp. The 100 pound, timid girls that rode these sleds barely moved the suspensions. Now that the shop is open, the sled will be turned in to the dealer shortly and the price will jump to retail. Gamblers might think that prices will tank because of Covid, but that sure hasn't happened with used motorcycle sales this spring. Interesting times for sure! Adventurous people will still buy toys.

See you on the trail in January.

IMG_0133.jpg

IMG_0135.jpg

IMG_0138.jpg

IMG_0142.jpg

IMG_0140.jpg

Edited by tricky
spelling
  • Like 7

Nice clean sled!

The Enduro I bought in April also has the Montana 610 and Skidoo mounting extension to the glovebox. May be a learning curve, as I have used only a phone gps in the past.

1 hour ago, Blake G said:

Nice clean sled!

The Enduro I bought in April also has the Montana 610 and Skidoo mounting extension to the glovebox. May be a learning curve, as I have used only a phone gps in the past.

Good luck learning. My learning curve will be much more severe, as I have only used the sun in the past. Tough when its snowing, or dark. Sometimes when I know the wind direction, I can wet my finger and figure out direction from there.

• Like 3

:right_on:

What you didn't want a 137?

:poke2:

Strong Farmer: A couple of months ago I picked up a 2018 Black Enduro 1200 with 440 kms on the odometer. Will be keeping my 2017 Grand Touring 1200 with around 5,000 kms on the clock, as well as the trusty 2015 Polaris Adventure 155 (550 fan).

Planning to sell my 2017 Tan Enduro 1200 in September. It has around 15,000 kms on the odometer. Love the sled, but it was time to replace it with a fresher one.

Edited by Blake G

11 minutes ago, Blake G said:

You really like those 1200’s. Proven engine. I don’t do allot of riding, so I would give 600 R a chance next time. Had great luck with my last 600 etec. 900 is ok but I still notice weight and hate changing oil In the engine too. It is a bummer after a 1000 km and a year. I still miss top end of etec that 900 lacks. That etec did everything well. 

Edited by Strong Farmer

Im also a big fan of 1200 ,love the sound of exhaust when first fires up .Other than extra weight ,they are a great motor.Reliable ,good power,good on gas,etc.They are a good combo in renegade chassis,its hard to think of trading it in .Agree oil change is a bit of a pain.

• Like 1

Tricky  I am interested can I pm you or has the dealer got it. 

10 hours ago, revrnd said:

:right_on:

What you didn't want a 137?

:poke2:

I have to admit that the 137 skid is a fine tool. Part of my desire to have a 129 stems from the fact that, on rare occasions, I transport my sled in the pick-up bed with a clam shell in tow. As sleds get longer and pick-up beds get shorter, that scenario doesn't work well. Most of the reason for wanting another XS chassis was the larger fuel tank and the better wind protection, IMO. Because my primary riding partners also ride XS 900 Aces, we really push the 300 km range of the sleds. Amazing how much less time you spend at fuel stops over a 4 or 5 day trip.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, coldfinger said:

Tricky  I am interested can I pm you or has the dealer got it. 

Sled, as of this weekend, has not yet been taken to the dealer. The original owner is at his cottage this weekend so the delivery won't happen until later. By all means, PM me.

Rick 

10 hours ago, tricky said:

I have to admit that the 137 skid is a fine tool. Part of my desire to have a 129 stems from the fact that, on rare occasions, I transport my sled in the pick-up bed with a clam shell in tow. As sleds get longer and pick-up beds get shorter, that scenario doesn't work well. Most of the reason for wanting another XS chassis was the larger fuel tank and the better wind protection, IMO. Because my primary riding partners also ride XS 900 Aces, we really push the 300 km range of the sleds. Amazing how much less time you spend at fuel stops over a 4 or 5 day trip.

It's not perfect, but you can buy a hitch extender from princess auto to gain some length between the truck and trailer.  You need to extend the chains as well.  It does cut the tow rating of your hitch in half, but with a 2 place clamshell it's not an issue as it's a light setup compared to what the trucks are rated to pull.  With my latest truck I needed to do this just to fit the 129" in. 

I have a 129" xs sled and a 137" xs sled and the difference between the two is negligible.  If anything I'd say I prefer the 137".  It hooks up and brakes better.  Also bridges the bumps better.  Carbide and suspension setup have a much bigger effect on handling than track length.  Congrats on the purchase.  They are the ultimate trail sleds.

1 hour ago, signfan said:

It's not perfect, but you can buy a hitch extender from princess auto to gain some length between the truck and trailer.  You need to extend the chains as well.  It does cut the tow rating of your hitch in half, but with a 2 place clamshell it's not an issue as it's a light setup compared to what the trucks are rated to pull.  With my latest truck I needed to do this just to fit the 129" in. 

I have a 129" xs sled and a 137" xs sled and the difference between the two is negligible.  If anything I'd say I prefer the 137".  It hooks up and brakes better.  Also bridges the bumps better.  Carbide and suspension setup have a much bigger effect on handling than track length.  Congrats on the purchase.  They are the ultimate trail sleds.

I dunno if the longer track rides any better to be honest. They spread weight out better no doubt. The extra storage room comes in handy too. 

I just went this past season from a short track (120inch) to a long track(137 inch). What i noticed is the same as Signfan said "is that it hooks up and brakes better".The 137 gets on top of the snow better coming across a lake when making my own path then my previous shorty.My shorty would be nose up,tail down digging in slush or deep snow on the lake.The long track would just get up on top and motor away .It did take a bit to get the sled dialed in for handling but i was coming off a shorty sc5 chassis sled onto a gen 4 137 r-motion chassis .Two pretty different sleds with completely different skids.My only complaint is the longer sled takes up more room in my garage.And it probably won't fit in my utility trailer if i need to trailer it for some reason.It fits ok in my 6and half foot box with the tailgate down. Hangs over a bit. Imo overall it is better.Just my 02 cents..

• Like 2

On 5/31/2020 at 9:13 AM, snowchopper said:

I just went this past season from a short track (120inch) to a long track(137 inch). What i noticed is the same as Signfan said "is that it hooks up and brakes better".The 137 gets on top of the snow better coming across a lake when making my own path then my previous shorty.My shorty would be nose up,tail down digging in slush or deep snow on the lake.The long track would just get up on top and motor away .It did take a bit to get the sled dialed in for handling but i was coming off a shorty sc5 chassis sled onto a gen 4 137 r-motion chassis .Two pretty different sleds with completely different skids.My only complaint is the longer sled takes up more room in my garage.And it probably won't fit in my utility trailer if i need to trailer it for some reason.It fits ok in my 6and half foot box with the tailgate down. Hangs over a bit. Imo overall it is better.Just my 02 cents..

Yeah not really many cons to getting a 137. Mine seems to eat sliders abit faster then previous model I had. Some of it is extra weight of four stroke and deeper lug track. Time for scratchers next season and maybe duponts too. 
riders seem to like 129’s. I think they sre a good compromise if you ride allot in south central ontario, in twisty type trails. 

Edited by Strong Farmer

10 hours ago, Strong Farmer said:

Yeah not really many cons to getting a 137. Mine seems to eat sliders abit faster then previous model I had. Some of it is extra weight of four stroke and deeper lug track. Time for scratchers next season and maybe duponts too. 
riders seem to like 129’s. I think they sre a good compromise if you ride allot in south central ontario, in twisty type trails. 

I rode gravenhurst this year on a 137 and had no issues

• Like 1

10 hours ago, soupkids said:

I rode gravenhurst this year on a 137 and had no issues

137 are good. My shoulders can burn bad after a long day in some twisty trails. When I had etec 137, my shoulders were much better at end of the day. I think I will go back to two stroke 137 in future. Less weight in front makes a huge difference for me.  Gravenhurst usually gets more snow. Here we get snow, and then warm weather and groomers pack it so hard, not much fresh stuff for sliders. In normal conditions they are fine. Skidoo’s r motion is abit harder on sliders then some other brands, except Yamaha I think. I am putting duponts this summer after a few positive reviews from plc and turbo doo.  I give them a try. Only lasting about 2000 to 3000 km’s on my 137 and yes track is adjusted to spec. I did it myself. 

Edited by Strong Farmer