Worker hurt removing bridge

snowchopper

Just saw on Barrie CTV news that a worker was hurt when the crane tipped over when removing temporary snow mobile bridge.     https://barrie.ctvnews.ca/   Scroll down and click on worker injured in Port Carling. Hopefully he recovers quickly.

Edited by snowchopper

High winds?

20200421_190535.jpg

Edited by Blake G

Blake i would think that played a good part in the crane tipping. We had lots of high winds today.Also like OX said the front outriggers were not out as far as the rear. 

Edited by snowchopper

Well, if the outriggers on the other side were out much at all, the tires on the other side would be WAY off the ground.

They aint.

Edited by PISTON LAKE CRUISER

The pic above does elude to that possibility, but this pic shows it better:

image.jpg

There is a 3' retaining wall along the edge, and the truck seems to be plenty far back from that to have had the riggers out - which sorta makes one wander if the rear riggers on that side actually broke?

Doo the front riggers not extend any further than that - yuh wonder?

The front one on the other side couldn't be very far out either.

Unless they have somehow already retracted them before the pic was taken - in effort to stabilize the unit that may have been teetering on the brink of .. ???

Edited by Ox

1 minute ago, Ox said:

The pic above does elude to that possibility, but this pic shows it better:

image.jpg

There is a 3' retaining wall along the edge, and the truck seems to be plenty far back from that to have had the riggers out - which sorta makes one wander if the rear riggers on that side actually broke?

or did the ground?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Wildbill said:

or did the ground?

Well, that could have started it for sure....

I can't imagine that that other outrigger is 6' in the ground, but ... maybe it's all worshed out and no-one knew?

1 minute ago, Ox said:

Well, that could have started it for sure....

I can't imagine that that other outrigger is 6' in the ground, but ... maybe it's all worshed out and no-one knew?

I'm pretty sure the right rear outrigger would have been very near the edge of the water where the entrance to the covered dock that the picture shows got it's roof damaged.

The front of the truck appears to be quite a ways from the retaining wall, but you are thinking that there is a break (void) in the wall - where the trail or walkway or whatnot goes?

Maybe the retaining wall is what is holding the whole works up?

Can't see "wall" from this view.

Here is a clearer pic:

crane.jpg

Not enough counterweight calculated to compensate for high winds. Outriggers not locked in place could also be the culprit... I guess we can all speculate,  I just hope the operator is ok..

• Like 2

Drone footage would be useful on a scene like this  for future reference .

• Like 1

Considering the 'inland' winds here in Apsley today (snow blowing sideways), I can't imagine what the winds closer to Georgian Bay would've been like. Hope the operator wasn't badly hurt.

The outrigger on front drivers side does not need to be out as far as rear.   Especially if working over back of crane.

There are a number of possibilities but I would say to small of a unit for the lift.  

Operator may have set up at edge or closer to edge then safe Trying to do the pick within his load charts.  

Or Possibly the ground collapsed on edge with added load on rear stabilizer.  

Or if windy that could have been cause.  Cranes typically have load load charts for good weather and then the higher the wind you derate the capacity.   Over a certain wind speed you cannot work safely by crane manufacturers specs.  Some cranes have wind gauges that measure wind and show operator wind speed for safety.

• Like 1

One thing to note is that this crane is not owned by a crane rental company but a metal fabricator.

No counterweights.

Operator error or inexperience probably the cause.

Operator was taken to hospital with non-life threatening injuries.

Who is responsible for removing the bridge, club, town, ??

Yes, please stop SPECULATING as to what happened.

My question is this "How is this an essential service". I thought we are all still on lock down. 

Seems people are doing whatever they want and there are no consequences. Cottage up the road from is building full steam ahead and dumptrucks up and down the street even during half load season still in effect.

People, please go home.

• Like 1

If the building permit was issued before the restrictions went into effect it's game on.  The load weight restrictions will be in effect any visible damage if so call M . T .O.

16 minutes ago, coldfinger said:

If the building permit was issued before the restrictions went into effect it's game on.  The load weight restrictions will be in effect any visible damage if so call M . T .O.

How this is social distancing, is beyond me.

13 hours ago, RAMSOMAIR said:

How this is social distancing, is beyond me.

Can be done if project is big enough just hard working by yourself depending on job and equipment used. I need new plywood laid in two storey up stairs, which will be difficult to do with social distancing rules. 

15 hours ago, RAMSOMAIR said:

Yes, please stop SPECULATING as to what happened.

My question is this "How is this an essential service". I thought we are all still on lock down. 

Seems people are doing whatever they want and there are no consequences. Cottage up the road from is building full steam ahead and dumptrucks up and down the street even during half load season still in effect.

People, please go home.

It might come to an abrupt halt with no building inspectors.

26 minutes ago, gtserider said:

It might come to an abrupt halt with no building inspectors.

Apparently they can do it online.

Just ask the meat packing plants in Alberta!

Residential construction projects where,

1. a footing permit has been granted for single family, semi-detached and townhomes
  2. an above grade structural permit has been granted for condominiums, mixed use and other buildings, or
  3. the project involves renovations to residential properties and construction work was started before April 4, 2020