So... Any thoughts on the new CEO?

manotickmike

16 hours ago, signfan said:

Some great ideas and definately worth investigating.  Question though.  If you are a farmer or an owner of a bush lot being kept under the managed forest program are your taxes not already very low?  Is there any room left for reductions?

I have 8.5 acres of workable farmland that I rent out to a neigbouring farmer. I do get a bit of a reduction on the farmland portion of my tax bill from the municipality. The reduction is not enough to rave about but is a help. These are municipal taxes so trying to get tax reductions for every property owner in every municipality in Ontario that has a trail going through their land would be complicated mess I would think.

Yes....and the insurance would become more complicated if the landowners were receiving compensation.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, signfan said:

Some great ideas and definately worth investigating.  Question though.  If you are a farmer or an owner of a bush lot being kept under the managed forest program are your taxes not already very low?  Is there any room left for reductions?

Depends. If you have highway or lake frontage it is taxed accordingly. 100 acres of bush @ the end of a concession road would differ from 100 acres on 118 or touching a major lake even if no structure(s) on it.

Farmland is already taxed at a lower rate and contains no school board taxes as well, which significantly lowers the rate. Rate can very by location too like rev said, since values go down as you head north and land becomes less productive and less valuable farther away from bigger cities. Once it is designed prime protected farmland ie green space taxes are even lower, since it has no chance of ever being developed. 

On April 22, 2020 at 7:45 PM, Strong Farmer said:

I know what Lep is saying but permit price needs to be raised with cost of inflation or you get lots of riders like ox saying they ain’t going to buy one. Sport needs to get some funding from government via gasoline tax. We don’t ride sleds on road so why isn’t this tax money put towards trails instead. Maybe mr French can get some traction on that issue. Wait and see.

Any numbers on permits sold for 2020 season and ofsc financials update? I like to see some facts about current numbers. 

Sorry, but I would roll the dice and call his bluff. If sledding comes down to a hundred dollar difference, you shouldn't be in it.

the permit has to increase, it's simply not sustainable any other way, unless you retract the system to run on the revenue proper.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Boy, this topic sure got hi-jacked!

Property taxes payable = (Assessment (per MPAC) X Local Millrate) + School tax.

Except for school taxes, all other levies (fire fighting, arenas, libraries, assisted living, etc) are included in the millrate.  I believe this is provincial practice.

In all of Parry Sound District, Managed Forest and Revenue Producing Farmland tax payable is [25% of (Assessment X  Millrate)] + School tax.

Not sure whether this 25% is province-wide.

Any tax reduction due to: lack of open road frontage, greenbelt or flood plain designation, etc is dealt with by MPAC Assessment process and must be appealed to MPAC, not municipality.

On 4/21/2020 at 1:00 PM, Big Pete said:

Mr French certainly comes with some impressive credentials and I wish him well. If I were advising him I would tell him to focus on 2 areas; Funding and Access. 

Funding is more than just govt grants or hand outs. To me it’s includes permit pricing and structure. I don’t believe our system is sustainable  with its current price levels and structure. This is a complex area as there are a lot of interrelated components and finding the option that maximizes revenue will not be easy. 

the other issue is access. By that I mean clubs and districts getting reliable access to land for the trail network. Many districts experienced huge difficulty last year obtaining workable land use agreements to the point were large pieces of trails were closed for all or a large part of the season. The role I see for our new CEO is to work with government to remove the barriers to reasonable land use and /or develop strategies to incentivize Land owners. Again a very complex situation that will require  a strong vision and a great deal of tenacity as it won’t be easy or quick. 

Wishing our new CEO all the best. 

Well said. Exactly