So... Any thoughts on the new CEO?

manotickmike

I read part of the OFSC blurb.

The fact that he rides was missing. Not important I guess. :roll:

My pal and local club Prez filled me in. 

Fingers crossed.

I wish him all the best, he’s got his hands full with a great group behind him. Hopefully he’s able to use his skills to work with the government to secure more funding.  The fact he’s one of the sledding community in my opinion is a huge bonus. 

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, manotickmike said:

I read part of the OFSC blurb.

The fact that he rides was missing. Not important I guess. :roll:

My pal and local club Prez filled me in. 

Fingers crossed.

Here is part of the OFSC press release:

“It’s an honour to join the OFSC team as CEO and I want to thank the Board of Governors and the Members for welcoming me to this new role.  As an OFSC permit holder I understand how this storied organization is seen as the leading voice for the snowmobile industry in Ontario” said Landon. “OFSC members are passionate about Canada’s leading winter activity and I look forward to providing the support required as we navigate the opportunities and challenges that lie ahead.”

Edited by Blake G
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Landon French does have an impressive LinkedIn  profile. Lots of communications experience and running stuff.

Jerry

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Nunz said:

I wish him all the best, he’s got his hands full with a great group behind him. Hopefully he’s able to use his skills to work with the government to secure more funding.  The fact he’s one of the sledding community in my opinion is a huge bonus. 

Ryan was suppose to be the guy to get more funding from the Government. Didn't happen.

1 hour ago, Doogirl69 said:

Ryan was suppose to be the guy to get more funding from the Government. Didn't happen.

Yeah tuff then and to try and get more funding now after this crises is complete is going to be really hard no doubt. Most of our farm grants are gone for good now too. I was hoping to get one for a manure storage facility but money isn’t there now. 

Edited by Strong Farmer

I can't see the government contributing financially, despite Quebec using a VERY successful investment model.

I'd be happy to see low, or no cost incentives.

Tax breaks for land owners, some sort of appreciation for volunteers, and about 1000% more enforcement of compliance and trespassing violations.

If they can't make #3 work, relinquish the responsibility to the clubs. 

It doesn't need to be complicated or expensive.

Unless someone wants it to be.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Mr French certainly comes with some impressive credentials and I wish him well. If I were advising him I would tell him to focus on 2 areas; Funding and Access. 

Funding is more than just govt grants or hand outs. To me it’s includes permit pricing and structure. I don’t believe our system is sustainable  with its current price levels and structure. This is a complex area as there are a lot of interrelated components and finding the option that maximizes revenue will not be easy. 

the other issue is access. By that I mean clubs and districts getting reliable access to land for the trail network. Many districts experienced huge difficulty last year obtaining workable land use agreements to the point were large pieces of trails were closed for all or a large part of the season. The role I see for our new CEO is to work with government to remove the barriers to reasonable land use and /or develop strategies to incentivize Land owners. Again a very complex situation that will require  a strong vision and a great deal of tenacity as it won’t be easy or quick. 

Wishing our new CEO all the best. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 4

I would love to see Mr. French adopt the Quebec model.  It will be a very tough sell. Perhaps just the insurance portion of it as its not so much govt backed but more a group discount with a company. Its odd how Intact can have this super rate for all of Quebec but is more than 50% higher here for me than TD Melloch Monnex. 

• Like 1

Quebec and Ontario have fundamental legal differences around insurance. The issue may be too big to be resolved by efforts put forth by our federation of snowmobile clubs.

Here's an article discussing the provincial differences for auto insurance.

https://www.autotrader.ca/newsfeatures/20160315/car-insurance-differences-from-province-to-province/

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RAMSOMAIR said:

I would love to see Mr. French adopt the Quebec model.  It will be a very tough sell. Perhaps just the insurance portion of it as its not so much govt backed but more a group discount with a company. Its odd how Intact can have this super rate for all of Quebec but is more than 50% higher here for me than TD Melloch Monnex. 

Quebec has no right to sue at fault parties, Ontario will never get there and for that reason it won't work.

i agree the issues are cost sustainability and access.

the system has thrived on the backs of volunteers for most of its existence, problem is they don't hardly exist anymore and red tape isn't helping, before now, many jobs were done strictly by volunteers with only their own ingenuity and hard work, now workers comp, permits, engineers, fees, etc etc etc don"t allow it, or make anything not cost effective.

no one likes to hear it, but permit fees have to go up, or you have to reduce the system.

private landowners are helping in reducing the system, thanks in part to the red tape and insurance non sense.

its complicated, and the way I really do see it, it's on borrowed time, which I hope I am wrong about.

my hats off to everyone doing what they do, we are a spoiled group.

• Thanks 1

I think hiring Mr French is pretty exciting, he has some very good credentials. 

He is also a snowmobiler/permit buyer so he comes with a vested interest. 

Time will tell, but I think Excom did a good job with this one, as they have done in the past.  

• Like 3

Well charites and non profit got 350 million today....lol.....some wont be sleeping tonite...maybe they will get a new pair of rosey glasses...:Drinking2:

Best of luck to our new CEO.....sure hope he doesn't get brain washed with the shit that's been going on the last 10 plus yrs....

IMO we need to get back to basics.....permit increase $100 minimum and the peeps that don't want to paid/play time to move on...some of or 200 clubs have no bodies left to do the shit that has come down the pipeline the last 10yrs.....move the groomers around as the hrs get up on them...remember clubs don't own groomers now....we need enforcement on trail with big fines $500 min and take the sled and impound for season lol.... if we don't get younger blood soon us older peeps are getting ready to say no more.....land owners need addressed and this insurance BS this yr needs addressed....and that word Liability enough said..

Good Luck.

• Like 3

I guess that would be enough for me to "move on" then, or simply stick to full off-trail and be done with it.

I buy tags for the most part to simply be supportive.

I'm likely not THAT supportive.

• Like 1

Might not be an issue for you with the  border being closed this winter . With the exchange rate, permit cost is dick all . In my opinion .

I know what Lep is saying but permit price needs to be raised with cost of inflation or you get lots of riders like ox saying they ain’t going to buy one. Sport needs to get some funding from government via gasoline tax. We don’t ride sleds on road so why isn’t this tax money put towards trails instead. Maybe mr French can get some traction on that issue. Wait and see.

Any numbers on permits sold for 2020 season and ofsc financials update? I like to see some facts about current numbers. 

Edited by Strong Farmer

one of the things i personally would like to see is a PERMANENT DEDICATED TRAIL SYSTEM DESIGNATION FOR OUR TRAILS. this will end the logging, town, land owner issues. this has been done in michigan and other states. it ends A LOT OF PROBLEMS. Ski 

24 minutes ago, skidooboy said:

one of the things i personally would like to see is a PERMANENT DEDICATED TRAIL SYSTEM DESIGNATION FOR OUR TRAILS. this will end the logging, town, land owner issues. this has been done in michigan and other states. it ends A LOT OF PROBLEMS. Ski 

Yes that would be a great idea but how do you do it with so much private land. Not many land owners would be willing to sell a piece of land for a dedicated trail system, for various reasons.  Try to mandate they have to sell for a trail right away and crap going to hit fan with resistance no doubt. 
I would like to know what Michigan did to get it accomplished? Learn from others no doubt! Quebec seems to have less issues too with land closures not sure what they do either. Ontario’s stupid insurance laws and coverages are a concern too and resulted in some trail closurers around province this winter as well. 

Wynne-bag's Ontario liberals (R.I.H.) ((rest in hell...)) fumbled that one horribly. 

I've met a LOT of land owners. Terrific people, for the most part. 

We need to show empathy. Put yourself in their shoes for a moment. 

Under existing circumstances, would you participate?

Enforce the law.  Incarcerate trespassers. That will keep them on-board. 

Give them a small thank you, like a tax rebate. Just to show appreciation for their risk, and inevitable headaches.

Save the few remaining volunteers all the re-routes, and the rest of us a lot of road running.

It really doesn't need to be complicated.

On ‎4‎/‎21‎/‎2020 at 5:38 PM, RAMSOMAIR said:

It's because of the Quebec insurance laws, the limits of liability and so many other regulations that are different

https://www.autotrader.ca/newsfeatures/20160315/car-insurance-differences-from-province-to-province/

Landowners can enroll in the Managed Forest Tax Program to reduce taxes if they follow certain guidelines. I'm sure something similar could be arranged w/ landowners that have organized trails on their properties.

Some great ideas and definately worth investigating.  Question though.  If you are a farmer or an owner of a bush lot being kept under the managed forest program are your taxes not already very low?  Is there any room left for reductions?

Compensate the land owners. 

End-of.

Groomer operators are now compensated.

Like them, if they wish to donate the compensation, there's no stopping them. Good on 'em. 

I just don't support risk with no reward. Ask yourself if you would allow access to your property, with existing lack of law enforcement.

If there was a demand for a group insurance policy, some underwriter would be all over it. 

I'd subscribe.