Yearly "Open Trail by Date" Graph

schmied

Another season has come and gone.  Though be it early due to unsettling times.  

Once again I've been keeping track of how many KM's of trail were open daily according to the IATG

Numbers were taken as close to noon as possible on most days.  Days that I failed to note were estimated at 50% higher/lower that the corresponding days on either side.

I only missed a few here and there, maybe six days I had to calculate.

The 2020 season open was the earliest I have in my data - December 1st.   But the earliest close, March 22, for Covid-19. 

2020 also saw the highest KM of trail I've tracked in 4 years, Feb 22, with 27318 km available.

On a personal note, I enjoyed 5 trips out for a total of 675 km, all down in D5 and the Southern tip of D9.

A quick shout out to the clubs in the GTSA, specifically Birdgeport SC and the FEB crew in Fergus - Elora - Belwood for working to route new trails so we could get out onto the rest of the system.

Great work!

Looking at the graph, I was amazed to see how closely the data mirrors other years.  A few times the KM total was almost the same as previous years (Jan 22 and Feb 4 areas)

Also how the dreaded February thaw strikes around Feb 17th, give or take, every year.

On to the graph...

2020TBD.JPG.12fc8c2fc1fdf634a226bed147a1172f.JPG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

Thanks for tracking, I really enjoy this kind of statistical data.  

On my personal note, you should try and get out a little more, you deserve it!

1 hour ago, Toyman said:

Thanks for tracking, I really enjoy this kind of statistical data.  

On my personal note, you should try and get out a little more, you deserve it!

I think he did well. D5 season was super short no doubt, better then last year but not a steller season in south by any means. Maybe 3 weekends total I think and most was marginal trail conditions too. 
thanks for data. It is neat to see trends of  past years too. 

Edited by Strong Farmer

That's right, I never got over to D5 as most trails were late and limited.  Planned a RAP tour again this year but never did it due to trails on west side of park.

I will use this data to help book next years trips.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Toyman said:

That's right, I never got over to D5 as most trails were late and limited.  Planned a RAP tour again this year but never did it due to trails on west side of park.

I will use this data to help book next years trips.

We always do the RAP on the second week of February. Never had a problem with snow, well almost never (cancelled once a few years ago)

• Like 1