Covid-19 Ends Snowmobile Season PLEASE READ

Big Pete

Wondering if our current events will have an effect on the big three and this years Snow Check? With the un-certainty of work shortages/stoppages across the continent will we see an extension of sorts? Perhaps some extra incentives? I say no, but I'd gladly eat crow on this one if any of them stepped up even to a small degree. 

I think yes they will be behind at some point.  Do I think they will put incentives out, Im not sure yet.  Given the fact that we are headed for a deep recession they should do something imo.

I think there are going to be a ton of sleds for sale in the near future, first thing to go is toys.

• Like 2

I think its going to kick the crap out of pre-season sales.    I have bought a new sled every year for as long as I can remember and I am really starting to think I will just keep mine and ride it again next season.  My wife is laid off right now and it looks like she wont be back to work until June so this is going to put a bit of a pinch on my disposable income.    I am sure there are a lot of people 100x more worse off than me as well. 

I am good personal friends with my dealer and he told me off the record that he expects Snow Check to be down by at least half this year.  

This is why they closed the trails.  

7D9DA3E5-559E-42AC-90C2-D2970F74EA33.jpeg

NOTE: THis is the Esso in Cochrane.

• Thanks 1

Girard's Esso in Cochrane has issued a Facebook group bulletin stating that a customer from Timmins who has tested positive for Covid 19 was in their station last Thursday March 19th at about 1:30 in the afternoon.  All employees are being tested, and they urge anyone who may have been there after 1:30 to monitor/isolate/test. 

It was forwarded to us because we were there on Thursday.   Fortunately, we left  at about 9:00 am, before the possible infection.  But it just shows there are potential risks everywhere, not just in the GTA.  

Be safe everyone!

• Like 1

I think this will kick the crap out of sled sales, period. There are going to be many, many people who own snowmobiles now, that may find themselves in a financial position that requires a divestment of toys.

Months off work, questionable return to work dates, maybe lost jobs period. Both levels of governments who have not exactly been prudent spenders for 30 or so years, with massive debt loads before this crisis.

Both levels of government may have little choice but to borrow, big money to keep the economy moving...and that may not work, only making the situation worse.

There will be those that try to take advantage of the less fortunate, and pick the carcass...I will not be one.

My wife and I have donated  money to the local school breakfast program for years. It's now shut down. There is, instead a table at the front doors of the school, where breakfast type food can be dropped off. Those that need it, take the food. Wife and I are going through the pantry to see what we can leave on the table. 

Those of us that are more financially secure need to step up for our neighbors who are not.

It's going to be a mess.

• Like 8

Best to just assume an infected person has been everywhere you go, and also that you have it given how widespread it. The fact that a large portion of people have no or mild symptoms means there's probably 1000's more cases out there.

On 3/19/2020 at 4:49 PM, sledjunk said:

I'm still here.  Met Mr. Claire Voyant on L119 today and he gave me the bad news.

I past you on saturday actually somewhere between Moonbeam and Kap. I was in the lead of 4 driving a white camo cat. I seen your name on your shield. 

• Like 1

And guys complaining  that ofsc shut trails down early ,and a few think they should get a refund ,lol

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, flash 800 said:

I past you on saturday actually somewhere between Moonbeam and Kap. I was in the lead of 4 driving a white camo cat. I seen your name on your shield. 

Too bad we couldn't have met in person.  Next year, maybe.

More pictures from the last ride.

20200321_150053_zpsyq53lmcc.jpg

20200321_150111_zpsjtbvyd7v.jpg

20200321_145957_zpsm9x4uvux.jpg

20200321_150046_zpspzchiizm.jpg

20200321_150051_zpsjvm5xyb2.jpg

20200321_150027_zpsnv5hm3eu.jpg

20200321_150037_zpsrgazdxy8.jpg

20200321_150035_zpsaxy8nlbs.jpg

• Like 5

Rather than start any more thread about the COVID-19 outbreak, PLEASE post any comments here. Thank you.

This is from Polar Bear riders Facebook Page yesterday regarding our favourite little Esso station in Cochrane.  Similar post from BOURQUES as well. 

Attention Snowmobiler’s that we’re in Cochrane last week and may have filled up at Girards Esso. Review this information!

14045877_1477443402273152_81926864931909
Girard Esso Service

****Post edit:Ralph (the owner) or any of the staff have no symptoms, and have not tested positive for Covid19 - we are in the process of getting tested.
Ralph is on a 14 day self isolation due to travel abroad from Roatan Honduras.
The entire staff is doing their part and self isolating for 14 days.

Porcupine health unit has advised multiple new cases in Timmins. It was one of these new infections which came into the shop. There is a huge chance the infection was NOT spread, since heightened sanitary precautions were in place, and social distancing was performed properly. But we must take appropriate steps to ensure we #flattenthecurve.

We regret to inform you that a customer from Timmins who tested positive for Covid-19 was in contact with staff at the garage on the 19th of March at approx 1:30pm. While we maintained our social distance and disinfected counters and handles, The entire staff at Girard Esso will still be doing a mandatory self quarantine or until we can get tested. WE WILL BE CLOSED UNTIL FRIDAY APRIL 3rd once Ralph is done his travelling self quarantine or sooner if we test negative. We will be getting tested as soon as it’s possible. No one is showing symptoms but it’s best to err on the side of caution. Although sanitary measures were increased at the shop, we are recommending anyone that has been at the shop since the 19th of March follow suit to prevent further spread. We are so sorry this happened, but the event was out of our control. If you’re sick. Stay home. Even if you don’t think you were in contact with anyone. This is how fast it spreads. Please share.

1 hour ago, TURBO DOO said:

Unbelievable 

Screenshot_20200324-195830_Briefing.jpg

It was removed after the blowback.

Morneau gives me no confidence that he knows what he's doing. Climbing the corporate ladder in your father's business or marrying into 1 of Canada's richest families, is no proof of financial acumen...

• Like 2

S-I-L I guessed freaked on a couple who came into the business she works @ last Fri'. Looked over the goods before leaving w/o buying anything. On the way out the wife made a comment that they were on the way home from Texas...

:icon_doh:

From the OFSC tonight:

image.png.33ceca525401019ee8f75ee28ffd4106.png

• Like 2

On 3/24/2020 at 10:10 PM, revrnd said:

S-I-L I guessed freaked on a couple who came into the business she works @ last Fri'. Looked over the goods before leaving w/o buying anything. On the way out the wife made a comment that they were on the way home from Texas...

:icon_doh:

My brother in law parents washing machine broke and then they went to Florida for 3 weeks just returned last week. Then they went out shopping for a new machine. People don’t get it.  Have no idea if they got machine installed or not. 

• Sad 2

5 hours ago, Strong Farmer said:

My brother in law parents washing machine broke and then they went to Florida for 3 weeks just returned last week. Then they went out shopping for a new machine. People don’t get it.  Have no idea if they got machine installed or not. 

Nothing will get it into those types of people's head until their loved ones are alone in a hospital on a ventilator. Then it will be someone else's fault :mad:

• Like 4

Not negative, more like reality! (sorry to say)

• Like 1

• revrnd unpinned this topic