Time for Leads to Wear Safety Vests?

Gadgetman

3 hours ago, Nunz said:

A friend of mine is building and selling these,

I have them on my helmet and my brothers, they work really well

https://www.ljeproducts.com/

I like it. I'll wait until my business travel resumes to the US and get one, as it solves the issue with sled 2 not seeing me on cloudy or snowy days. But, the vest still slows down the on-coming traffic like a ships anchor..

53 minutes ago, Gadgetman said:

I like it. I'll wait until my business travel resumes to the US and get one, as it solves the issue with sled 2 not seeing me on cloudy or snowy days. But, the vest still slows down the on-coming traffic like a ships anchor..

After seeing the one on nunz's helmet I bought one as well.

Very bright up out of the snow dust.

• Like 2

Blaze orange vests aren't a new idea. From the OSRF Kawartha Cup in the late 80s @ Westgate Speedway

20200319_204242-1.thumb.jpg.20e67113a1a8cada55702fec91a55865.jpg

Maybe this could lead to the Tron Light suit. 

Light_Suit_1.png

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Blake G said:

I can vouch for the Snowdust Buster lights mentioned by Nunz. He gave a blue light to his brother Ross, and I thought it looked great while following Ross on a ride. Such was my enthusiasm, that Nunz offered to give me an amber light - with the understanding that I would provide an honest report. No problem there. The amber light is great too. Actually a little brighter than I expected. Took about 5 or 10 minutes to unpackage and install on my helmet. 

20200319_164712.jpg

Hello Blake. Does the visor cord run the light to?

Yes. If your heated visor is on, your led light is on. In my photos, I had to have the sled running, to show the light working 

If you watch the video in Nunz's link you'll be able to see more detail.

More photos. If you zoom in you might be able to see how the power from the sled goes to the light, and then from the light to the visor. The light and three little clips are attached to the helmet with some kind of grippy material that is exposed when you peel off the protective plastic film.

20200319_225312.jpg

20200319_225851.jpg

Edited by Blake G

9 hours ago, Nunz said:

A friend of mine is building and selling these,

I have them on my helmet and my brothers, they work really well

https://www.ljeproducts.com/

I imagine that they're brighter than the red light on the rear of the Oxygen helmets?

8 hours ago, revrnd said:

I imagine that they're brighter than the red light on the rear of the Oxygen helmets?

much brighter for sure, I have to admit I am surprised one of the Helmet OEM's haven't done some sort of licensing deal with him on the light kit.

• Like 1

I wonder if a self powered setup is in the works. 

I think I might have plugged my G-Max in once this season. Pre-emptively.

7 minutes ago, manotickmike said:

I wonder if a self powered setup is in the works. 

I think I might have plugged my G-Max in once this season. Pre-emptively.

I am sure you could power it off a portable Battery pack, I think Polaris used to have or still does one, there is likely other ones out there.

That was my plan for the visor. 

Didn't bother, as the helmet just plain works. 

G-Max G11 electric.

I'd be interested in a self-powered, either rechargeable or replaceable battery version.

21 minutes ago, manotickmike said:

That was my plan for the visor. 

Didn't bother, as the helmet just plain works. 

G-Max G11 electric.

I'd be interested in a self-powered, either rechargeable or replaceable battery version.

Any coon hunter supply outfit should be able to hook you up with such very easilly.

When younger I just used a 6V (12V?) brick type battery hung on my belt for night time pest hunting, but I'm sure that 40 years has made marked improvements on that.

Be aware tho - that when a pigeon comes down hurt, it is going to try to go towards the only light in the joint, so that can add some excitement sometimes too....

Edited by Ox

3 hours ago, Nunz said:

much brighter for sure, I have to admit I am surprised one of the Helmet OEM's haven't done some sort of licensing deal with him on the light kit.

I have a GMAX S54 snow helmet that has a red led light on the back surface built in. It can be set to a slow flash, fast flash, constant on. It also has a setting that allows the light to link with an optional brake light kit,  so the light acts just like your rear brake light. Powered by 2 AAA batteries that I Change about 2 times per season. 

On 3/19/2020 at 2:23 PM, Ox said:

Was actually ref the original post - as I understood it that the reason that he was wearing the vest to begin with was for the benefit of those behind him.

Point of the thread was that it had frontal benefits that Trumped the intended use.

No reason for the vest is to get the oncoming traffic to slow down.  They see the vest and think you are opp or trail patrol.  So you get less idiots running by you at full speed.  Novel idea really. 

I find startled speeding idiots tend to go for the brakes, and present sideways, offering a larger profile.

Sadly, the old "leave yourself an out" chestnut that works on the roads does not always apply. Trails are only so wide, and if they were wider, idiots would only go faster.

I have gone left to avoid out of control idiots taking corners wide, but only as a LAST resort to avoid collision. 

You leave yourself open to being on the wrong side of the trail when his pals come along. 

Happily, by then the sight line is usually better, and the trail is straighter when you have to deal with that. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, signfan said:

No reason for the vest is to get the oncoming traffic to slow down.  They see the vest and think you are opp or trail patrol.  So you get less idiots running by you at full speed.  Novel idea really. 

I think you need to slow down on your reading.

• 4 months later...
On 3/17/2020 at 5:40 PM, Gadgetman said:

So, three years back I get a new FXR sled jacket at less than half price, as the pattern isn't popular; RealTree Camo White. (I don't care, great price and I had painfully found out my old CHOKO wasn't water proof.)

2018 trip I'm lead, we hit a lot of snow coming down, and I notice that number 2 isn't in my mirror. He can't see me, and can't make out the trail. I guess RealTree Camo white works well in the winter.

Last year I start wearing a day-glo green safety vest, both touring and locally. First thing I notice is how often all on-coming traffic slows right down (even in QC), and provides a wide berth on the trail. I don't wear it, and some guys are close to rubbing skis.

So, for anyone that leads a group, in my experience to date, if lead wears a safety vest, oncoming sleds are unsure if you are Trail Patrol or even the "armed" guys, and slow right down.

(Rode the Haliburton region a couple weeks back (Kearney to North Bay and back) , without the vest; never again without a vest.)

Just a thought...stay safe...

Note, if anyone from Ottawa is heading to the Westway in Cochrane, can you ask for my vest and bring it back. Getting the sleds started at -34c was such a distraction, I left it in the room; I'm sure it is sitting in Westway lost and found. Green with orange strips, velcro attachments (Princess Auto cheapo)

20200317_170743.jpg

The vest sounds like a good idea.  Last year after having no less then 3 people on blind corners running as fast as they can;'t handle go full lock up and sideways at me I might wear one. 

The guy that hit me outside of Whitney, no vest or light would of prevented that .. just saying.

1 minute ago, infernobuster said:

The guy that hit me outside of Whitney, no vest or light would of prevented that .. just saying.

Good to see you back! That must have been a scary experience. I have had a few close calls myself and agree tekvest would be safest thing to be wearing out there. 

Everyone slows down because they think you are a cop.    LOL!!

• Like 1