Time for Leads to Wear Safety Vests?

Gadgetman

So, three years back I get a new FXR sled jacket at less than half price, as the pattern isn't popular; RealTree Camo White. (I don't care, great price and I had painfully found out my old CHOKO wasn't water proof.)

2018 trip I'm lead, we hit a lot of snow coming down, and I notice that number 2 isn't in my mirror. He can't see me, and can't make out the trail. I guess RealTree Camo white works well in the winter.

Last year I start wearing a day-glo green safety vest, both touring and locally. First thing I notice is how often all on-coming traffic slows right down (even in QC), and provides a wide berth on the trail. I don't wear it, and some guys are close to rubbing skis.

So, for anyone that leads a group, in my experience to date, if lead wears a safety vest, oncoming sleds are unsure if you are Trail Patrol or even the "armed" guys, and slow right down.

(Rode the Haliburton region a couple weeks back (Kearney to North Bay and back) , without the vest; never again without a vest.)

Just a thought...stay safe...

Note, if anyone from Ottawa is heading to the Westway in Cochrane, can you ask for my vest and bring it back. Getting the sleds started at -34c was such a distraction, I left it in the room; I'm sure it is sitting in Westway lost and found. Green with orange strips, velcro attachments (Princess Auto cheapo)

20200317_170743.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Gadgetman said:

So, three years back I get a new FXR sled jacket at less than half price, as the pattern isn't popular; RealTree Camo White. (I don't care, great price and I had painfully found out my old CHOKO wasn't water proof.)

2018 trip I'm lead, we hit a lot of snow coming down, and I notice that number 2 isn't in my mirror. He can't see me, and can't make out the trail. I guess RealTree Camo white works well in the winter.

Last year I start wearing a day-glo green safety vest, both touring and locally. First thing I notice is how often all on-coming traffic slows right down (even in QC), and provides a wide berth on the trail. I don't wear it, and some guys are close to rubbing skis.

So, for anyone that leads a group, in my experience to date, if lead wears a safety vest, oncoming sleds are unsure if you are Trail Patrol or even the "armed" guys, and slow right down.

(Rode the Haliburton region a couple weeks back (Kearney to North Bay and back) , without the vest; never again without a vest.)

Note, if anyone from Ottawa is heading to the Westway in Cochrane, can you ask for my vest and bring it back. Getting the sleds started at -34c was such a distraction, I left it in the room; I'm sure it is sitting in Westway lost and found. Green with orange strips, velcro attachments (Princess Auto cheapo)

20200317_170743.jpg

Just look at all those Yammies!:smil9:

Edited by PISTON LAKE CRUISER
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Gadgetman said:

20200317_170743.jpg

G-Man , if you call the Westway and they have it , and keep it, I’ll be driving thru there a few times this spring or summer and I get over to Ottawa a few times too so can drop it off for ya. 

I'd like a brighter helmet like what racers are 'supposed' to wear. Had the BRP X jacket had a bit less (& the proper shade of) yellow I'd probably wouldn't have gotten the black/grey version.

It's a sad state of affairs when riders have to take these steps to protect themselves from the idgits on the trails...

• Thanks 1

Part of the problem is all manufacturers show these crazy videos of riders hanging off the sled around every corner.  People then think the can drive like this on 2 way trails, and fail to realize that these videos are all filmed on closed trails.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

15 hours ago, gobills said:

Part of the problem is all manufacturers show these crazy videos of riders hanging off the sled around every corner.  People then think the can drive like this on 2 way trails, and fail to realize that these videos are all filmed on closed trails.

I videoed our group riding by doing 50 kph on a forest access road a few years ago. It looked pretty lame.

That being said, you can ride fast but you can do it safely on YOUR side of the trail.

Those of us that witnessed the stupidity @ Azzhat Corner on TOP A & L123, collectively shook our heads @ the number of riders that blew the intersection (plus the number of near misses). My stationary sled narrowly missed being hit by a guy that wound up half off the trail.

• Like 3

While riding in Quebec a couple weeks ago Our group saw 4 sleds outfitted with flashing lights in the hood scoops.  We were told This is becoming more popular in Quebec.

We saw yellow and green.

They had yellow for first sleds.  Green for last I think.  Lights always on flashing.  

Combined with mirrors easy way to improve trail safety if manufacturers included as standard equipment.

15 hours ago, revrnd said:

I videoed our group riding by doing 50 kph on a forest access road a few years ago. It looked pretty lame.

That being said, you can ride fast but you can do it safely on YOUR side of the trail.

Those of us that witnessed the stupidity @ Azzhat Corner on TOP A & L123, collectively shook our heads @ the number of riders that blew the intersection (plus the number of near misses). My stationary sled narrowly missed being hit by a guy that wound up half off the trail.

So - you parked at the apex of a corner just to prove a point?

54 minutes ago, Ox said:

No we were parked past an intersection. The leader probably thought it was safe (on the secondary trail) to do so since the majority of riders would've been travelling on TOP A. While we were stopped, 2 groups came thru & in both cases a good number of the group missed the turn to the west. Sleds were trying to turn around as more sleds blew the corner.

1457208716_AzzhatCorner.jpg.28a0ebcd60e49db78118deb5d0aedb68.jpg

EDIT: Red line shows where the dummy wound up.

The 4 lines mark where our southbound sleds were parked.

3 minutes ago, Ox said:

Parked at the driveway entrance to the Moose Horn Lodge, outside of Chapleau, where you get a home cooked dinner and breakfast. Not on an OFSC trail. cheers. 

16 hours ago, Boy Oh Buoy said:

G-Man , if you call the Westway and they have it , and keep it, I’ll be driving thru there a few times this spring or summer and I get over to Ottawa a few times too so can drop it off for ya. 

Thank you for the offer. On sale this week at Princess for $13, I'll just get a new one, and tell Westway to give to anyone who may need one.

37 minutes ago, revrnd said:

No we were parked past an intersection. The leader probably thought it was safe (on the secondary trail) to do so since the majority of riders would've been travelling on TOP A. While we were stopped, 2 groups came thru & in both cases a good number of the group missed the turn to the west. Sleds were trying to turn around as more sleds blew the corner.

Ah. Same as the end of the Whitman Dam Rd @ Domtar then, except that is a BIG corner that you're not going to miss.

2 hours ago, Sksman said:

While riding in Quebec a couple weeks ago Our group saw 4 sleds outfitted with flashing lights in the hood scoops.  We were told This is becoming more popular in Quebec.

We saw yellow and green.

They had yellow for first sleds.  Green for last I think.  Lights always on flashing.  

Combined with mirrors easy way to improve trail safety if manufacturers included as standard equipment.

Sksman, posted this on FB a couple of weeks ago. This is probably what you saw.

Instead of hand signals there is a light system available for snowmobiles from theridelite.com.There are 2 coloured led lights. Yellow- rider approaching. Green- End of group or Rider alone. No more hands off the bars it the turns. And every Yellow light would signal a new group for those cases were a rider is signalling last rider when in fact another group has caught up.

Edit: also check www.yamaheater.com for the RAD light. Similar idea but less expensive.

2 hours ago, Gadgetman said:

Parked at the driveway entrance to the Moose Horn Lodge, outside of Chapleau, where you get a home cooked dinner and breakfast. Not on an OFSC trail. cheers. 

I was just there last Thursday night.   Neat spot.  

5 hours ago, Big Pete said:

Sksman, posted this on FB a couple of weeks ago. This is probably what you saw.

Instead of hand signals there is a light system available for snowmobiles from theridelite.com.There are 2 coloured led lights. Yellow- rider approaching. Green- End of group or Rider alone. No more hands off the bars it the turns. And every Yellow light would signal a new group for those cases were a rider is signalling last rider when in fact another group has caught up.

Edit: also check www.yamaheater.com for the RAD light. Similar idea but less expensive.

I have built my own versions of these since about 2006.  I now have the ones from yamaheater.com on all three of our sleds.  BTW, they do not flash as a flashing green light is reserved for volunteer firefighters.

8 hours ago, revrnd said:

Intersection wasn't signed as an all way stop was it?

10 minutes ago, signfan said:

Intersection wasn't signed as an all way stop was it?

Not sure. Even if it wasn't riders making the turn to go west should've been riding w/ enough control to negotiate the corner.

Obviously that was asking too much for a lot of the sledders in question.

@sledjunk Maybe you guys can take a pic on your next trip thru there?

17 minutes ago, revrnd said:

Not sure. Even if it wasn't riders making the turn to go west should've been riding w/ enough control to negotiate the corner.

Obviously that was asking too much for a lot of the sledders in question.

@sledjunk Maybe you guys can take a pic on your next trip thru there?

Totally agree.  That said its clear proof of what works.  Stop ahead signs almost all riders slow down for.  Slow signs get ignored by too many.

9 hours ago, revrnd said:

We came up L123 out of Moonbeam a couple of weeks ago to that corner. At the time, i thought that it was kind of weird that the A trail would make the 90 degree turn going west. If you were heading west on the A at more than the legal limit and didn't know, it would be very easy to think the A trail continuing straight on the L123.  We don't usually come past that corner on the A as we typically take  the L25   loop or Remi Lake trail when heading west from the clubhouse.

• Thanks 1

As far as being seen by the riders behind you doo to snowdust (presumably the issue?) we on occassion use Lead Dog lights when breaking trail after dark, or even if just still out playing off-trail after dark.  They are great for being able to see the terrain - even when your headlight is covered in snow, but per this conversation - it has been found to be of just as much help for the second guy to be able to keep tabs on the point man as there is no way that you are going to see a tail light in that environment. The back of the light glows red anyhow, but it does have a brake light that you can hook up if you want too.

Not thinking that y'all are gunna run out and buy a Lead Dog light - as it would look goofy, and be just one more chord tethered to the machine, but it seems that I have seen at least one helmet that may have had such rear light built into it? I don't know if it was still tethered, or wireless? (or even existed beyond my dreams for sure?)

I see that they are now offering an LED version, and you could just run a batt pack for it like coon hunting, and not have to deal with the tether.

https://helmetlight.com/

Edited by Ox

38 minutes ago, Ox said:

As far as being seen by the riders behind you doo to snowdust (presumably the issue?)

I'm pretty sure snow dust wasn't the problem in this situation (sleds were not riding bumper to bumper). Too much speed & not knowing the trail more likely the cause. Usually makes a good recipe for disaster.

Was actually ref the original post - as I understood it that the reason that he was wearing the vest to begin with was for the benefit of those behind him.

Point of the thread was that it had frontal benefits that Trumped the intended use.

2 hours ago, Ox said:

As far as being seen by the riders behind you doo to snowdust (presumably the issue?) we on occassion use Lead Dog lights when breaking trail after dark, or even if just still out playing off-trail after dark.  They are great for being able to see the terrain - even when your headlight is covered in snow, but per this conversation - it has been found to be of just as much help for the second guy to be able to keep tabs on the point man as there is no way that you are going to see a tail light in that environment. The back of the light glows red anyhow, but it does have a brake light that you can hook up if you want too.

Not thinking that y'all are gunna run out and buy a Lead Dog light - as it would look goofy, and be just one more chord tethered to the machine, but it seems that I have seen at least one helmet that may have had such rear light built into it? I don't know if it was still tethered, or wireless? (or even existed beyond my dreams for sure?)

I see that they are now offering an LED version, and you could just run a batt pack for it like coon hunting, and not have to deal with the tether.

https://helmetlight.com/

A friend of mine is building and selling these,

I have them on my helmet and my brothers, they work really well

https://www.ljeproducts.com/

• Like 4

I can vouch for the Snowdust Buster lights mentioned by Nunz. He gave a blue light to his brother Ross, and I thought it looked great while following Ross on a ride. Such was my enthusiasm, that Nunz offered to give me an amber light - with the understanding that I would provide an honest report. No problem there. The amber light is great too. Actually a little brighter than I expected. Took about 5 or 10 minutes to unpackage and install on my helmet. 

20200319_164712.jpg

Edited by Blake G
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1