Val D'or

Willy

I'm thinking of going to Val D'or mid/late week for a few days and do days trips from the hotel. Have never been and has been a place I always wanted to try. Opportunity is presenting itself. 

Few questions, 

Would snow depth/trail conditions this time of year be similar to that of Cochrane/Timmins area? 

Accommodation suggestions? - seems Forestel is the popular spot. Good trail access etc?    

Any particular theft concerns we should be aware of? 

Thanks, any info is appreciated. 

50 minutes ago, Willy said:

I'm thinking of going to Val D'or mid/late week for a few days and do days trips from the hotel. Have never been and has been a place I always wanted to try. Opportunity is presenting itself. 

Few questions, 

Would snow depth/trail conditions this time of year be similar to that of Cochrane/Timmins area? 

Accommodation suggestions? - seems Forestel is the popular spot. Good trail access etc?    

Any particular theft concerns we should be aware of? 

Thanks, any info is appreciated. 

According to current snow depth modelling on:

https://www.nohrsc.noaa.gov/interactive/html/map.html?ql=station&zoom=&loc=48.230+N%2C+83.105+W&var=ssm_depth&dy=2020&dm=3&dd=10&dh=12&snap=1&o5=1&o6=1&o9=

There is currently more snow in Val D Or than in the Cochrane  / Timmins area. No lack of snow in either area IMHO.

Forestel is a very nice spot. Probably more top end than most in the Abitibi area. Its right on the trail and an easy hotel to get out of town from.  Lots of choices for day-tripping from Val D Or. The only downside is that gas availability means going further into the city to get to (at least it was the last time I was there it did)

Theft is not something I have never worried much about in Quebec and certainly not in the Abitibi region. Sleds at the Forestel are parked in front of the hotel with a lot of visibility from the hotel. If you are worried, take a cable lock and cable to another sled or sign post, etc.

DO NOT pass on a chance to go sledding in that area when you have one. The only downside is that you will likely come home somewhat spoiled sledding wise. The weather up their looks great for riding next week.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thank You for the reply PLC. Greatly Appreciated! Some great information. 

At this point I would say there is a very good chance we are going, ride thur, fri & sat.  Probably just the wife and I - so Forestel is likely a great spot with good trail access. 

I will be sure to give a report on our return.  

My sons hockey season has been cancelled so the schedule has opened considerably. 

PLC is spot on, Forestel is a little fancy for my taste, especially on a guys  trip but I bet your wife will love it. The bar menu was much more to our liking than the restaurant one. You won't be disappointed in the accomodations or the trails.

• Like 1

Agreed with all thats been said. Forestel is a great spot. We have stayed at the L'escale suites, but can be a bit of a road rash to get too. Gas like PLC said can be tricky. There are a few spots to pick from for fuel. Some closer to trails then others.  Go and enjoy. Some pics of the outside of the forestel when we were there in January.  The rooms will not disappoint also..And some trail pics to share also..

IMG_7754.JPG

20200315_072717.jpg

20200315_072729.jpg

20200315_072741.jpg

20200315_072756.jpg

• Like 3

Agree with everyone about the Forestel. Here’s pictures of a room28264909-4DFA-4D05-BF29-4F000B1F1BFC.thumb.jpeg.e2e94e7dcc38ceccda79ba11fb96cf44.jpegD7304A57-E897-4027-B643-2E71DEE838A3.thumb.jpeg.a2f2d82d17d12da03be81e0ea8fd170a.jpeg

• Like 2

We are booked. Purchased 3 day pass for Quebec. Hoping for an awesome trip. Hit the trails Thursday!

Any hints on fuel close to the trail? Probably going to do loops in the 200+KM range. So depending - I will bring some cans with me and could always run into town with the truck and fill from the hotel?

900ace and 1200 Doo. Range is pretty good. 

Thanks for all the great info. Will post some pics on our return.  

1 hour ago, Willy said:

We are booked. Purchased 3 day pass for Quebec. Hoping for an awesome trip. Hit the trails Thursday!

Any hints on fuel close to the trail? Probably going to do loops in the 200+KM range. So depending - I will bring some cans with me and could always run into town with the truck and fill from the hotel?

900ace and 1200 Doo. Range is pretty good. 

Thanks for all the great info. Will post some pics on our return.  

Glad to hear you are going. You won't be disappointed. Here's a link from the Quebec map that will show fuel at an Ultramar 11 km. north of the Forestel on a local trail. As well there is fuel available at the Ultramar 33 km. east of the Forestel on 83 at Louvicourt. There is a good place to eat next door to the gas station as well

http://fcmq.viaexplora.com/i?s=IwGgLAzAHGBMBsUDsIDaBaesCs8yjEQE4RsjswAGeEYOIgXXBtWGCMqKj3CQlHTYoTDMFhgk2SnFKwQeB

Be sure to ride trail 307 which is west of Val D Or and runs north to the Amos area. 

Edited by PISTON LAKE CRUISER

What's your take on the corona virus?  I'm planning on heading into Quebec next weekend as well and I'm somewhat concerned hotels and or restaurants could shut down while we are traveling between stops.

8 hours ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

Glad to hear you are going. You won't be disappointed. Here's a link from the Quebec map that will show fuel at an Ultramar 11 km. north of the Forestel on a local trail. As well there is fuel available at the Ultramar 33 km. east of the Forestel on 83 at Louvicourt. There is a good place to eat next door to the gas station as well

http://fcmq.viaexplora.com/i?s=IwGgLAzAHGBMBsUDsIDaBaesCs8yjEQE4RsjswAGeEYOIgXXBtWGCMqKj3CQlHTYoTDMFhgk2SnFKwQeB

Be sure to ride trail 307 which is west of Val D Or and runs north to the Amos area. 

Thanks again PLC great info!!!! 

1 hour ago, Oggy said:

What's your take on the corona virus?  I'm planning on heading into Quebec next weekend as well and I'm somewhat concerned hotels and or restaurants could shut down while we are traveling between stops.

Its been discussed a bunch. I'm certain that's pretty much all everyone has been talking about. 

I have many mixed feelings about all of this, I assume most do. Its incredible how so much has changed in the past few days. Only time will tell of course. 

With that said we are still planning to go, and will just keep an eye on how it all unravels.  If the hotel cancels that of course changes everything and we would understand.

If we had to snack on the trail and eat in our room - we are accepting of that as well. This is partially reasoning for just doing day runs, along with limiting time. 

It's ironic but the virus has created this opportunity for us (as mentioned my sons hockey season is done). It's an area that I have wanted to visit for sometime and to have my wife be able to attend is a huge bonus.  Our kids are getting older and becoming more independent.   Who knows maybe we will be able to go back for a week in the coming years. Lol.

Sageunay region is another area that looks spectacular.   I'm sure we would need a week for that one :)  

On 3/14/2020 at 1:00 PM, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

According to current snow depth modelling on:

https://www.nohrsc.noaa.gov/interactive/html/map.html?ql=station&zoom=&loc=48.230+N%2C+83.105+W&var=ssm_depth&dy=2020&dm=3&dd=10&dh=12&snap=1&o5=1&o6=1&o9=

There is currently more snow in Val D Or than in the Cochrane  / Timmins area. No lack of snow in either area IMHO.

Forestel is a very nice spot. Probably more top end than most in the Abitibi area. Its right on the trail and an easy hotel to get out of town from.  Lots of choices for day-tripping from Val D Or. The only downside is that gas availability means going further into the city to get to (at least it was the last time I was there it did)

Theft is not something I have never worried much about in Quebec and certainly not in the Abitibi region. Sleds at the Forestel are parked in front of the hotel with a lot of visibility from the hotel. If you are worried, take a cable lock and cable to another sled or sign post, etc.

DO NOT pass on a chance to go sledding in that area when you have one. The only downside is that you will likely come home somewhat spoiled sledding wise. The weather up their looks great for riding next week.

Piston Lake is spot on with his description. My buddy and I did 900KM in 2.5 days of riding (and I'm kind of old), starting in Val-Dor (March 16-18, 2018)  Had to use the warm-up shacks, -24c. I'm in Ottawa, I'm pretty sure that area was just hammered again with snow. Very nice hotel.

Val-DOr March 2018.JPG

• Like 2

On 3/15/2020 at 6:46 PM, Oggy said:

At this point I would suggest using airBNB to try to find accommodation from which to do day trips and where you have more control over your living conditions. This virus lives for hours on clean surfaces and days on hotel breakfast buffets (depending on the amount of snot in which it is encapsuled) and despite all the emails you're getting from everyone and his dog about heightened health precautions, all it takes is one person to take a short cut and you're infected.  If you can't cook, stock up on M&M foods.

Take some Lysol wipes (if you can still find them) and before bringing in your stuff, wipe down counter tops, light switches, appliance handles, tv remotes, everything you commonly come in contact with, and make a pact with your buddy to constantly remind each other to keep your hands away from your head! Alcohol based (at least 60%)  hand sanitizer is recommended - isopropyl gas line anti-freeze will also work in pinch.

Good incentive to being careful is to remember that people who die of this virus, end their days with lungs full of water.  Makes it difficult to breathe.

Despite periods of rain, and then drizzle trails are generally in good shape although some of the remote Indian communities are closing access to trails to protect their people.

An update for us. 

We decided to cancel as well. As this unprecedented time continues to unfold we thought it was the best decision. Listening to all government agencies to ultimately stay put. (whole other topic of discussion - there is another good post on "rant of the day" (if I recall correct location) that was part of our decision making process. 

We had booked the Forestel. 

They were great!. Very accommodating of the situation and circumstances. Full refund and understanding.  

Would definitely suggest supporting them. 

Contacted the FCMQ. to try and refund 3 day pass for two machines. 

After multiple calls and emails, finally spoke with someone. 

They do not process refunds, alternate dates, nothing. End of story and quite rude about it. 

With that said, I'm left with mixed feelings. 

I would love to visit Quebec and as our kids get older, etc. may have planned numerous trips. 

Now I'm uncertain. I'm hesitant to support an organization that does not support their patrons!!!   

We purchased our permits on Saturday afternoon. I'm certain we can all attest to what has developed since then!!! 

Ontario has an awesome trail network and great places to visit. Spent a good deal of time in the northern corridor, Wawa, RAP etc. years gone by.

for now I will continue to spend my tourist dollars in Ontario!!!   

• Like 1

Great choices. Helps everyone 

Sorry to hear. The overall experience there  has us buying 2 passes every year.

Great choices re cancellations tho. Helps everyone 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Willy said:

An update for us. 

We decided to cancel as well. As this unprecedented time continues to unfold we thought it was the best decision. Listening to all government agencies to ultimately stay put. (whole other topic of discussion - there is another good post on "rant of the day" (if I recall correct location) that was part of our decision making process. 

They were great!. Very accommodating of the situation and circumstances. Full refund and understanding.  

They do not process refunds, alternate dates, nothing. End of story and quite rude about it. 

I would love to visit Quebec and as our kids get older, etc. may have planned numerous trips. 

Now I'm uncertain. I'm hesitant to support an organization that does not support their patrons!!!   

We purchased our permits on Saturday afternoon. I'm certain we can all attest to what has developed since then!!! 

Ontario has an awesome trail network and great places to visit. Spent a good deal of time in the northern corridor, Wawa, RAP etc. years gone by.

I lost my 7 day permit this year as well, with no option for a refund.  Pretty sad in this day and age.

So if I live in southern ontario and most of the season the trails are red I should get my money back ? It was your choice not to go .

Suck it up . I buy a ontario and quebec permit every year. Its not their  fault, they don't control the weather or Viruses. I,m going this weekend and I don't plan on licking anything. 

2 hours ago, Willy said:

An update for us. 

Below is  some contact  information for a representative at the FCMQ main office. It might be worth getting in touch with him. I can't find his email address right now. Worth trying to contact him given the circumstances. Worst he can say is no.

Michel Brault  I  Conseiller sénior - Support technique
101-1027 boul. des Entreprises   I  Terrebonne, Québec J6Y 1V2  I  www.fcmq.qc.ca

cid:3516685042_38708000

Try this link for more info.:

https://fcmq.qc.ca/en/contact-us/

Edited by PISTON LAKE CRUISER

Thanks PLC. I may reach out to him. I feel its worth communicating the circumstance. 

I can somewhat agree with tireless comments - suck it up. I get it, however it wasn't our choice not to go. 

We are making a conscious choice to do what is being asked of us. For that I feel it would be honourable to grant a partial refund or pick days now for next season. Some option.

If we can't go then, then of course we suck it up. 

Secondly, I don't think that is the best way to promote your sport, nor tourism in your province.  

I am most taken away at the tone and attitude given by the FCMQ representative - basically (but not exactly in those words) - sucks to be you.    

Just my 2 cents. 

All considered I think we made the best choice. Everyone's health comes first!!

58 minutes ago, Willy said:

Thanks PLC. I may reach out to him. I feel its worth communicating the circumstance. 

I can somewhat agree with tireless comments - suck it up. I get it, however it wasn't our choice not to go. 

We are making a conscious choice to do what is being asked of us. For that I feel it would be honourable to grant a partial refund or pick days now for next season. Some option.

If we can't go then, then of course we suck it up. 

Secondly, I don't think that is the best way to promote your sport, nor tourism in your province.  

I am most taken away at the tone and attitude given by the FCMQ representative - basically (but not exactly in those words) - sucks to be you.    

Just my 2 cents. 

All considered I think we made the best choice. Everyone's health comes first!!

This sucks.  I understand why the no refunds policy exists in the FCMQ and the OFSC has a very similar policy.  I suspect you would get a similar reply from OFSC.  That said this is an unprecedented situation.  I'd try calling once more.  Couple thoughts if you do end up getting a no again.

- once they go down this road where do they stop?  What's to stop season permit buyers from claiming they didn't get full use of their permit and then demand a refund.  Fact is by this time in the season the vast majority of funds have been spent.  Definately all of the seasonal permit funds.  The fcmq staff would be concerned to not open this pandora's box up.

- do go to Abitibi next winter.  I pretty much guarantee in a normal year you will feel you get double your money's worth riding in that area.  Ontario is great, but the trails up there are unmatched.

- your money went to a non profit organization that will make great use of it.  If I had to pick something to donate too organised snowmobiling would be at the top of my list

• Like 1