Tekvest or variants

MXZSlider

I just got one this year, a tekvest. I found it not bulky and very comfortable, as in it isnt restrIctive. I found it quite warm, almost too warm, but we got vents on our jackets for that. Riding around on the weekends on the D7 circus and rodeo trails, i always have it on. A little piece of mind that you've got some protection in the chest area, especially with the way people keep riding down the center. 

• Like 2

I wear the Tekvest Freestyle model. I find it not as bulky as others but that’s just my opinion. They can be warm but the protection they offer definitely out ways that. Wearing them sure isn’t the norm by some of the looks I get when I take it off in restaurants. I’m a retired firefighter and have seen the injuries to people involved in the smallest of vehicle accidents. Sleds don’t offer the protection a car does, so all the protection I can get I’m in. Also always clip on the tether.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I'd like to wear one, but haven't found one that didn't feel like I was wearing a straight jacket.

All I've tried have been bulky, awkward, and very restrictive. Perhaps I'm too large (250 lbs) for anything "off the rack"

What I wear in all temps is just a t-shirt and sweat pants plus jacket and bibs.

I have a TekVest and have worn it for years.  It is a little awkward for doing things other than riding.  I find it a little restrictive when bending (or trying to get up if you have fallen in the snow :oops: )  However, I have  had a couple of oops when riding where I think I may have had more serious injuries rather than just bruises if I was not wearing it.  IIRC, my model is the SuperSport or something like that.  I have had it for almost 10 years.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

My better half wears a tekvest and swears by it.  He claims that he doesn't even feel it has an affect on his riding.  He rides aggressive and loves how the tekvest keeps him warm.  He's tall and finds it breaks the wind a lot.  Once this season he forgot to put it on and told me he felt naked.  LOL  He won't do that again.

He's had one for 6 years now.  He also uses it while go-kart racing with us. 

As for me.................................................I do have one.  Unfortunately, I gained too much weight two years ago (after I got it) therefore it is too snug for me.  Soooooooooooo.....................................I have to go on a diet!!!!!!!!!!!  Not good with diets, but I will hopefully get the extra pounds off so I can wear it next season.

• Like 1

Plus they float 

• Like 2

Great input gang. I've looked at them online, but need to find a source somewhere close to home to try on some various models. 

So, a few questions. 

- I've worn Kevlar for a number of years previously for work and I'm used to some weight and bulkiness. For those that have them, are you finding a need to "up-size" your Jackets to accommodate? 

-  Breathability? It's great that some have noted the warmth factor, but does it come at the breatheability/sweat factor?  

Kevlar loves to hold a stink/sweat smell. It can be a nightmare to get rid of. Once it gets into any sort fabric, your pretty much walking around smelling like a sweaty gymlocker at the local public fitness establishment. I'm hoping these vests are different. 

Thanks again people :right_on:

43 minutes ago, MXZSlider said:

Great input gang. I've looked at them online, but need to find a source somewhere close to home to try on some various models. 

So, a few questions. 

- I've worn Kevlar for a number of years previously for work and I'm used to some weight and bulkiness. For those that have them, are you finding a need to "up-size" your Jackets to accommodate? 

-  Breathability? It's great that some have noted the warmth factor, but does it come at the breatheability/sweat factor?  

Kevlar loves to hold a stink/sweat smell. It can be a nightmare to get rid of. Once it gets into any sort fabric, your pretty much walking around smelling like a sweaty gymlocker at the local public fitness establishment. I'm hoping these vests are different. 

Thanks again people :right_on:

Looking forward to the responses on this.  Planning to get one myself next season.

I can tell you I borrowed one about 10 years ago for a ride.  Found it very comfortable.  I'd say no to a jacket size change.  It basically replaces a sweatshirt then you ride in just a t-shirt under it.  I don't recall it being clammy, but that was a long time ago.  Would love some first hand knowledge.  The one I wore had a built in neck curtain that was part of the vest.  Kinda like a turtle neck.  I thought it worked well.  The arms were cut good and low which allowed lots of movement.

• Like 1

I have been using a tech vest a few years now after a minor fall off my sled and i hit my handle bar. I picked mine up at the Peterborough sled show.

I did visit their factory in Kinmount to install a phone line and they have an impressive small factory making the vests. I don't know if you can just stop in and try one on. Good to know they are Canadian designed and made in Canada.

I find I need to wear the vest close to my body under minimal clothing but over my bibs then layer up over the vest to avoid the riding up.

Jerry

I bought one this year and it turned out I needed it.  Bad karma.  Anyway, get the arm guards too.   I only wish I wore more armor.  

When I first put it on it was a bit bulky but I never noticed it once while riding and it helped support my back too.

Make sure you try it on with a knowledgeable sales person.  It needs to be cinched up and overlap, but not too much.  My jacket is 4X but the tekvest is xl.  It does not hold odour.

Have had mine for probably 10 years also. I believe it is a supersport. I definately had to go to a larger jacket size to fit over it but the new ones may be less bulky. I absolutely will not ride without it. Once you get used to it,it's just natural. Feels a little bulky but does not restrict any movement (other than bending) . I have not found mine to hold odor at all.

food for thought, if you are serious about this, look for a tekvest or other armor with a FULL, SOLID CHEST PLATE, NOT A ZIPPERED TWO PIECE CHEST PLATE. the one piece plate, will disperse energy across the  entire panel.  while the zippered panel is "more convenient" you have to decide on how much protection YOU WANT. 

we have been running the tekvests for close to 15 years, wouldnt ever ride without it, even to go fishing. hit a big drift on the lake, and get kicked, have a ski hook under the snow, and pitch you off, fall in the parking lot... these help mitigate your injury risk. just like knee guards. ever take a cheese grater running board to the shin, above your boot? yeah, you know what i am talking about. 

with that said, this year i switched out to a lighter, although still impact rated  KTM "body armor" type pressure suit. this gives me elbow, and shoulder protection.  

wearing something, is better than nothing. to us, it just another piece of safety equipment, no different than a helmet. choose wisely. Ski

Edited by skidooboy
  • Thanks 1

That KTM piece looks interesting. I'll have to drop into the local dealer over the summer and take a peak at one once the whole social distancing thing is null n void. Probably end up road tripping up to Kinmount as well to peruse through Tekvests offrings. 

I have  been told to not directly comment on a fatality we had in D10 this year.But after seeing the scene and evaluated the situation. I believe a vest would have helped in this situation.Personally knowing the manufacture for over 30 yrs and not having one is a lame excuse. I will not ride without one next year.New coat be dammed.

you can wear these over outer layer coats as well... food for thought. ;) Ski  

17 hours ago, skidooboy said:

They seem to be better for flexibility in all seasons and I plan to try these.  Thanks for the heads up ski.

On 3/19/2020 at 4:45 PM, skidooboy said:

Thanks,well have to be size appropriate over the coat or just take a challenge to make it fit under. Hey I got a question for  ya,Mid  90s out the back of of Moes in Wawa.That you wife sporting her best running a little puddle?

i cannot answer that under penalty of law. :D Ski