08 MXZ RENEGADE

thetorches

Buddy is looking at 08 MXZ Renegade 800 with 1000 kms on it for $3300. What should he look for on a 12 yr. old sled with that low of mileage. Price seems good. What do you think. Thanks.

Edited by thetorches

Have him check the engine hours at the dealership. Might have had the cluster replaced 1000 km ago ... sneaky way to improve resale value...

• Thanks 1

As always when you buy a used sled, tear it all down and change EVERY bearing.  Doing this will require the chaincase to come apart so the gremlins in there can be found.   Check the clutches out and rebuild of necessary.  If there are carburetors, remove, clean and replace.  If this is not done, there will be tears the first year on the trails due to corrosion from sitting around so long.  This does not even address the potential problems in the engine.  Corroded crank bearings, cracked piston skirt, etc.

I quit buying used equipment.  There is always a reason it's for sale.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Strong Farmer said:

Km’s seems to low for year. If it doesn’t have original track I, would be asking allot of questions. That is a red flag on its own. If he isn’t original owner I would stay away and find something with average km’s. 
If it is an 800 power tek maybe he means 1000 miles since last rebuild and everything was zeroed. Power tek I wouldn’t even go look at it. 

1 hour ago, Big Pussy said:

As always when you buy a used sled, tear it all down and change EVERY bearing.  Doing this will require the chaincase to come apart so the gremlins in there can be found.   Check the clutches out and rebuild of necessary.  If there are carburetors, remove, clean and replace.  If this is not done, there will be tears the first year on the trails due to corrosion from sitting around so long.  This does not even address the potential problems in the engine.  Corroded crank bearings, cracked piston skirt, etc.

I quit buying used equipment.  There is always a reason it's for sale.

Your advice is appreciated and will work if the purchaser has the mechanical ability to do all the work mentioned by themselves or have a buddy who can do it for them. Unfortunately, the vast majority of people who are buying these low dollar used sleds do not have those abilities and to pay a shop to do the work is unrealistic.

Like anything used, the best the majority of used buyers can do is check the product out the best you can (or pay a mechanic to check it over), pay your money, fix what you can and take your chances. There are always good deals to be had on quality used sleds that have been reasonably maintained.

That said, the case in point seems too good to be true. Thetorches stated this 2008 has 1000 miles on it. Should the odometer on this sled not have be in kilometers unless it was not a Canadian sled?

10 minutes ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

Your advice is appreciated and will work if the purchaser has the mechanical ability to do all the work mentioned by themselves or have a buddy who can do it for them. Unfortunately, the vast majority of people who are buying these low dollar used sleds do not have those abilities and to pay a shop to do the work is unrealistic.

Like anything used, the best the majority of used buyers can do is check the product out the best you can (or pay a mechanic to check it over), pay your money, fix what you can and take your chances. There are always good deals to be had on quality used sleds that have been reasonably maintained.

That said, the case in point seems too good to be true. Thetorches stated this 2008 has 1000 miles on it. Should the odometer on this sled not have be in kilometers unless it was not a Canadian sled?

They can be set either way. My 2012 came from a local dealer and was in miles when I picked it up. They had to hook lab top

up to change it. Quebec seems to deliver everything in miles and dealers change them over doing Pdi. Dennis told me my dealer didn’t do a proper Pdi at time. I use a different dealer now. Not sure if this is still in the case or not. 

Edited by Strong Farmer

7 hours ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

Thetorches stated this 2008 has 1000 miles on it. Should the odometer on this sled not have be in kilometers unless it was not a Canadian sled?

Up until the '07 model year (the last year of the original REV), the owner could easily switch back & forth between miles & kms (which was I seem to recall was displayed). Not sure if this was thru the cluster 'switches' or the harness. I know on the ZX chassis there was a connector that was plugged or unplugged to make the change.

I'm not familiar w/ the XP setup up, but wouldn't MILES not be visible on the odometer if that was the units?

I just checked my sled & the display shows:

Km

The units can be changed by the dealer, according to the owners manual. 

That being said, a 12 year old sled w/ '1000 miles' on it does raise flags. Reminds me of those low mileage late model sleds w/ worn rubber & paint that turn out to be out of province rental sleds.

45 minutes ago, revrnd said:

Up until the '07 model year (the last year of the original REV), the owner could easily switch back & forth between miles & kms (which was I seem to recall was displayed). Not sure if this was thru the cluster 'switches' or the harness. I know on the ZX chassis there was a connector that was plugged or unplugged to make the change.

I'm not familiar w/ the XP setup up, but wouldn't MILES not be visible on the odometer if that was the units?

I just checked my sled & the display shows:

Km

The units can be changed by the dealer, according to the owners manual. 

That being said, a 12 year old sled w/ '1000 miles' on it does raise flags. Reminds me of those low mileage late model sleds w/ worn rubber & paint that turn out to be out of province rental sleds.

I checked with him. It is 1000 kms. I can switch  between kms/miles on my zr 7000.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, thetorches said:

I checked with him. It is 1000 kms. I can switch  between kms/miles on my zr 7000.

Really?  Seems TGTBT.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

08 REV XP sleds were the worst handling Skidoo in this century. That was the first year of the XP and spring and/or shock calibrations weren't compatible with the chassis or something, because those sleds were very hard to dial in if you in fact care about steering. The 800 power tek is not a great used sled engine. And as others have said the mileage is very scary. If the sled looks new underneath, which it should at that mileage, then maybe its legit and the sled might make a decent mount. I would be looking at other brands and models though. A Yamaha of that vintage is generally okay, or a Skidoo REV 600 SDI. Remember also that opinions, including mine, are like butt holes - everyone has one. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, tricky said:

08 REV XP sleds were the worst handling Skidoo in this century. That was the first year of the XP and spring and/or shock calibrations weren't compatible with the chassis or something, because those sleds were very hard to dial in if you in fact care about steering. The 800 power tek is not a great used sled engine. And as others have said the mileage is very scary. If the sled looks new underneath, which it should at that mileage, then maybe its legit and the sled might make a decent mount. I would be looking at other brands and models though. A Yamaha of that vintage is generally okay, or a Skidoo REV 600 SDI. Remember also that opinions, including mine, are like butt holes - everyone has one. 

I'd be more likely to recommend the 500SS (600 versions) less electronics to be concerned w/ 'down the road'.

1 hour ago, revrnd said:

I'd be more likely to recommend the 500SS (600 versions) less electronics to be concerned w/ 'down the road'.

Very good choice in older sleds, although I ran 600 SDIs to 18-19000 km, sold them and they kept running.

1 hour ago, tricky said:

Very good choice in older sleds, although I ran 600 SDIs to 18-19000 km, sold them and they kept running.

The motor was 'checkered' in my '07. Mind you the 2nd failure in it was due to a poorly assembled short-block from BRP...

The '04 versions had piston ring 'locating pin' issues. Not sure if it was strictly the SDI motors or across the Series 3 line.

Thanks for all the info. I told him all your concerns. He is going to look at it Tuesday. Hope he takes all the advice I passed on.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, revrnd said:

The motor was 'checkered' in my '07. Mind you the 2nd failure in it was due to a poorly assembled short-block from BRP...

The '04 versions had piston ring 'locating pin' issues. Not sure if it was strictly the SDI motors or across the Series 3 line.

Carbed models also

• Thanks 1

Was the sled owned by an old guy? Just got a message from a former co-worker that bought a sled that sounds very similar.

23 minutes ago, revrnd said:

Was the sled owned by an old guy? Just got a message from a former co-worker that bought a sled that sounds very similar.

He said it was a friend of a friend. Did he work at GM.

22 minutes ago, thetorches said:

He said it was a friend of a friend. Did he work at GM.

Yes

1 hour ago, revrnd said:

If his name is Mark. Its probably the same guy.

16 minutes ago, thetorches said:

Yep