Tether Cords

signfan

Who actually wears theirs?  Seen a lot of videos lately of sleds on their sides with tracks running wide open and the driver scrambling back to shut their sled off after they have fallen off.  I don't get it.  They are put there for a reason.  Why not wear it?  Could save yourself or someone else from getting seriously hurt.

Always when riding solo ... sometimes in a group too. Depends on the speed and crew ...

1 hour ago, Yukon Cornelious said:

I wear mine everytime I ride ,along with my Tekvest..

X2

The whole industry should use a wireless key fob tether. Skidoo does it best so far with a wired anti theft tether imho. 

• Like 2

My ‘19 Cat is the first sled I’ve owned that had a tether.  It took a ride or two to get used to, but it’s second nature now, don’t even have to think about it.  I will be adding a tether to my other sleds in the fall.  Yamaha has a tether kit to add to the viper that’s a pretty easy install.  All new sleds should come with a tether as standard equipment imho. 

I'll go against the grain and say nope .. never attached it to me once.

Only time i take it off is for security reasons.

• Like 1

My chum had some issue once a while back - I don't recall what ... prolly an upside down sled with runaway motor?

He said online that he would be using his now after that incident.

Never seen him use it yet.

I don't use mine.

(don't wear tek-vest either, so ...)

BUT - I have heard mention many times in recent years that many new sleds don't even have a tether as std equipment.

I only run Doo, and really don't pay attention to what others have all that much, so it seems odd to me - when 40 years ago it seemed to be a std item.

???

Doesn't the TORS system made the tether cords obsolete? Maybe not all manufacturers use it. 

Two years ago a good friend of mine lost his only day of riding for the season & required a tow when the wireless fob on his Doo failed. Nothings perfect.

Edited by XTC500

I somewhat agree with you XTC. TORS won't shut the engine down but will reduce RPM to approx. 3000 RPM.so the clutches won't engage. It is a good system but has been known to cause some issues over the years usually caused by throttle cable adjustment or icing in the switch. 

10 hours ago, XTC500 said:

Doesn't the TORS system made the tether cords obsolete? Maybe not all manufacturers use it. 

Two years ago a good friend of mine lost his only day of riding for the season & required a tow when the wireless fob on his Doo failed. Nothings perfect.

Riding with kids TORS does nothing if they grab the throttle and takeoff by mistake.  With the tether on me the sled has to be shut off before I walk away from it.  Nice to see so many on here are wearing them.  It's a habit and a good one I'd encourage all riders to adopt.  Also means you wont loose your key at your lunch stop.

Good points on the tek vests.  I think I'm going to start wearing one next winter.  

• Like 1

On 3/12/2020 at 5:35 AM, Yukon Cornelious said:

I wear mine everytime I ride ,along with my Tekvest..

Mines gets tethered onto my Jacket before I even get moving. 

Speaking of Tekvest... been meaning to start a thread on that to get some input. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, coolbane said:

I think I recall seeing  only about 5 riders over the past 20 yrs wearing tether.  I guess they must have all posted in this topic 

x2

Most I have seen have the handlebar tethered to the cap.  In this case, wouldn't a key switch be much more convenient ?

1 hour ago, Big Pussy said:

x2

Most I have seen have the handlebar tethered to the cap.  In this case, wouldn't a key switch be much more convenient ?

Have to admit that my tether has always been to the bar riser on my last four Doos over ten years. Stupid? Likely. 

Interestingly, my sled bucked me off yesterday when riding the side of a roadside snowbank. The sled stayed rubber side down and rolled down the road about 20ft. It would probably have stopped moving somewhat sooner if I was attached to the tether. 

My earlier smart-ass comment on this thread  must have gave me a bit of bad karma!!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, coolbane said:

Interestingly, my sled bucked me off yesterday when riding the side of a roadside snowbank. The sled stayed rubber side down and rolled down the road about 20ft. It would probably have stopped moving somewhat sooner if I was attached to the tether. 

My earlier smart-ass comment on this thread  must have gave me a bit of bad karma!!

That sucks.