ElliotLake to Searchmont - Help!

tricky

1 hour ago, tricky said:

Sorry I failed to get back to you. About the time you asked, I got the call that we were finalized at five riders and heading to Timmins "now" and riding the loop counter clockwise. I wasn't finished packing yet and we had only Tuesday night booked in Timmins (Ramada). I got on the phone and booked Hearst, Wawa and Chapleau. Was still on the phone when my ride arrived.

Hope you had a good week of sledding. I know that weather wise you had everything.

We left Timmins Wednesday AM at -15C and sunny. Had a great day in great conditions to Hearst via the C to A at SRF. Temp got up to about 0 C. That afternoon was our only time on the corridor. Thursday AM there was a fresh inch+ of wet snow on the ground at -1C in Hearst. Stayed cloudy all day - dry until after lunch at Hornepayne. The ride to Wawa was in the rain which got heavy in the late afternoon, but we still enjoyed the ride and good trail conditions for the most part. Temp got to +4 or 5C. Friday was a real change and quite a treat. Thursday's rain changed to wet snow overnight, with 2-3 inches in the AM. About halfway to Halfway Haven the wind really kicked up, with falling snow, blowing snow, very poor visibility, 6-9 inches of new snow on the ground and the odd tree down across the trail. Snow let up some after we turned off the D onto the 101 to Chapleau, but there was always at least 4 inches of new snow. Saturday was the nicest weather day we had as we blitzed back to the truck in Timmins, loaded up and drove home. Got home by midnight. Overall , an A+ ride around the loop.

The places we stayed were places that I have thanked before and will keeping revisiting, except I have to mention one new-to-me motel. The Outdoorsman in Wawa changed hands two years ago, has been nicely renovated, has good rates and is operated by great people. They were quick to recognize our wet head to toe gear and offer their industrial dryer. We didn't want to go back out into the rain for Friday supper and our hosts offered perfect advice on ordering food in. A great stay. I will return, winter and summer.

Glad it all worked out for you guys..

On 3/15/2020 at 10:45 AM, tricky said:

We left Timmins Wednesday AM at -15C and sunny. Had a great day in great conditions to Hearst via the C to A at SRF. Temp got up to about 0 C. That afternoon was our only time on the corridor. Thursday AM there was a fresh inch+ of wet snow on the ground at -1C in Hearst. Stayed cloudy all day - dry until after lunch at Hornepayne. The ride to Wawa was in the rain which got heavy in the late afternoon, but we still enjoyed the ride and good trail conditions for the most part. Temp got to +4 or 5C. Friday was a real change and quite a treat. Thursday's rain changed to wet snow overnight, with 2-3 inches in the AM. About halfway to Halfway Haven the wind really kicked up, with falling snow, blowing snow, very poor visibility, 6-9 inches of new snow on the ground and the odd tree down across the trail. Snow let up some after we turned off the D onto the 101 to Chapleau, but there was always at least 4 inches of new snow. Saturday was the nicest weather day we had as we blitzed back to the truck in Timmins, loaded up and drove home. Got home by midnight. Overall , an A+ ride around the loop.

The places we stayed were places that I have thanked before and will keeping revisiting, except I have to mention one new-to-me motel. The Outdoorsman in Wawa changed hands two years ago, has been nicely renovated, has good rates and is operated by great people. They were quick to recognize our wet head to toe gear and offer their industrial dryer. We didn't want to go back out into the rain for Friday supper and our hosts offered perfect advice on ordering food in. A great stay. I will return, winter and summer.

Even though this turned out to be Timmins, Hearst, Wawa, Chapleau loop ride (not Searchmont) I thought I would add some pictures here. Between Dubreuilville and Foleyet, Friday and Saturday,sled1.thumb.jpeg.a60b5549dc44bf496076e1119035a8fb.jpegssled11.thumb.jpeg.4f80458aa57c6e737bd40766a8132936.jpeg we removed five or six spruce trees from the trail, 3 of which required our saws. 

sled10.jpeg

sled9.jpeg

sled8.jpeg

sled7.jpeg

sled5.jpeg

sled3.jpeg

sled2.jpeg

Edited by tricky
correct location
  • Like 7

With nothing to do because of mandatory closings, everyone should try to get north at least once more, for your own sanity and to support the northern economy. Snow conditions were still very good on Saturday from Wawa/Chapleau north. Our April dirt bike trip to West Virginia is off, so I think I can justify another trip north.

29 minutes ago, tricky said:

With nothing to do because of mandatory closings, everyone should try to get north at least once more, for your own sanity and to support the northern economy. Snow conditions were still very good on Saturday from Wawa/Chapleau north. Our April dirt bike trip to West Virginia is off, so I think I can justify another trip north.

Do you really think that is the prudent thing to do given what's going on around us and the recommendations from every health professional to stay home? 

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

Do you really think that is the prudent thing to do given what's going on around us and the recommendations from every health professional to stay home? 

Couldn't have said it better myself!  

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, tricky said:

Trails around Kap are great!

4 hours ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

I figure that I am here with a couple of buddies, so it is less than 50 people, we are usually isolated in the bush, and we are taking care of our mental health.  JMO.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, sledjunk said:

I figure that I am here with a couple of buddies, so it is less than 50 people, we are usually isolated in the bush, and we are taking care of our mental health.  JMO.

trick

Your choice. Quite a bit has changed since you left to go up. Tricky is still home and talking making trip plans. His choice.

The number of people is really only a factor if you ,one of your buddies or someone you come into contact with is carrying the virus. You would give it to more people in a bigger crowd.Although i hope you don't have it or get it, you could actually have it now and not know given a 7 to 14 day incubation period. Getting it is as easy as having to pay the wrong employee at Subway for those subs you had for lunch.The other problem is that they just don't have the medical infrastructure in the north to deal with an outbreak of the virus let alone have possible extra cases due to southerners coming to ride. Check out Luc the groomer guys Facebook posts today. basically he says we would like to have you here but you should stay home given the circumstances.

Personally, i don't want the virus and I sure as hell don't want to be responsible for giving it to someone else. JMHO.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

I think that my suggestion is a good example of "social distancing". I have basically been is isolation since I returned from Timmins Saturday night. Maybe for sledders who have been at work, on the Go train, subway, etc the idea is poor. Generally speaking, I have a very small contact group of family and friends who are not currentlycarrying Covid 19. I suspect there are more sledders who are socially similar to me. I don't think that I (we) would jeopardize Northern Ontario's population if I go back up, and similarly I don't think the north is a hot bed of the virus. I wouldn't head to Miami, Toronto or New York, even if allowed, but I won't climb under a rock until so advised.

I allow that I could be wrong with my interpretation of what the health professionals are telling us.

That was easy! The decision has been taken out of my hands. I was wrong. I am still going to have a hard time climbing under a rock. In my town of Milton, population 140,000 from all over the world, I would be surprised if the virus is NOT present. Now I will practise social distancing in what could be a corona hot spot. My isolation will commence in the garage, but first I have to go buy an oil filter and bearing set for the sled's skid frame.

• Like 1

A Woodstock General Hospital worker from Brant County tested positive for the Aardvark Flue after working in the hospital after returning home from Mexico.  Looks like everything went wrong in this scenario.

• Sad 1