Kirkland Lake motel/hotel question

Muskoka Bill

Planning on going to Kirkland Lake this coming monday Mar 9 for 4 nights,  is the Super 8 a convient place to stay in terms of Trail access, trailer parking and a place to eat dinner within walking distance. Any other recommendations that is good for my three desires. 

My first choise of a destination was New Liseard but the water front inn is booked up.  Any input would help. Thanks Bill

50 minutes ago, Muskoka Bill said:

Planning on going to Kirkland Lake this coming monday Mar 9 for 4 nights,  is the Super 8 a convient place to stay in terms of Trail access, trailer parking and a place to eat dinner within walking distance. Any other recommendations that is good for my three desires. 

My first choise of a destination was New Liseard but the water front inn is booked up.  Any input would help. Thanks Bill

Thete are other good options in New Liskeard: Econolodge, Quality Inn, Holiday Inn Express to name three.

1 hour ago, Blake G said:

Thanks Blake , I booked the Super 8 for next week. Looks like nice temps and snow there.

• Like 1

We stayed there one night this winter after returning from Quebec on the Goat Path.  Heating issues with the room.  Very cold breakfast room and the eggs were rubber.  The breakfast ladies had their winter coats on.  Lights in the breakfast room were blinking badly.

Gas just up the sidewalk.  Walk two traffic lights to the sports bar.

2 hours ago, Blake G said:

Thete are other good options in New Liskeard: Econolodge, Quality Inn, Holiday Inn Express to name three.

For the first time in 20 years, disappointed in the New Liskeard Quality Inn (rooms) during a visit with wife a few weeks ago.

Place was empty (Sun to Tues trip), yet they gave us a room at the back - way in the corner.  Carpet in hallway was recently replaced...until we got to our area. Old and musty. So what. .. inside room will be re-done. Nope. They hadn't gotten around to it. More accurately, hadn't gotten around to the 'King' bed rooms .

Travelling with a buddy ... NL Quality with 2 beds may be fine. Don't go for the King beds at this property - time warp in those (back) rooms. We were on the trails, out and about so not a huge issue. But at $160 a night, 3 nights...invoice over $500 .. won't return.

All 3 hotels named by Blake plus Waterfront are owned by the same company in New Liskeard. They charge what they want, renovate (or don't) when they want.

(actually noticed a hotel in Engelhart that look very proximate to trails - http://www.englehartmotel.com/. $76 a night, and from pics looked liked the furniture in the Quality Inn. Across from the gas station ... many trail choices)

We like the Waterfront Inn, and Roosters. Stayed there last Wednesday night with 14snow. We also like the MicroTel in Kirkland lake.  Microtel is easily accessible,  short cab ride to food, or order in. We stayed there last Saturday night.

On 3/4/2020 at 6:36 PM, Canuck said:

For the first time in 20 years, disappointed in the New Liskeard Quality Inn (rooms) during a visit with wife a few weeks ago.

Place was empty (Sun to Tues trip), yet they gave us a room at the back - way in the corner.  Carpet in hallway was recently replaced...until we got to our area. Old and musty. So what. .. inside room will be re-done. Nope. They hadn't gotten around to it. More accurately, hadn't gotten around to the 'King' bed rooms .

Travelling with a buddy ... NL Quality with 2 beds may be fine. Don't go for the King beds at this property - time warp in those (back) rooms. We were on the trails, out and about so not a huge issue. But at $160 a night, 3 nights...invoice over $500 .. won't return.

All 3 hotels named by Blake plus Waterfront are owned by the same company in New Liskeard. They charge what they want, renovate (or don't) when they want.

(actually noticed a hotel in Engelhart that look very proximate to trails - http://www.englehartmotel.com/. $76 a night, and from pics looked liked the furniture in the Quality Inn. Across from the gas station ... many trail choices)

An option to the "big 4" in NL is the Auberge Inn, directly across hwy 11 from Gilli's and the Econolodge. When we stayed there in February, on an OCer's recommendation (thank you), we had a good clean, renovated room with great new beds and good shower. Rates were very reasonable and I believe the place to be independently owned, but I could be wrong. Truck/trailer parking was not plentiful, but there was space out back for at least 4 combos.

As has been witnessed on the site this winter, not all of us are looking for the same thing in lodgings while we sled. Because of that, I am hesitant to make recommendations unless I know your 'style'. Nonetheless, I would like to give s big thumbs up the the following hosts who met or exceeded my expectations this winter: Mattawa Golf & Ski, Morning Mist Resort, The Dinner Bell, The Sands on Golden Lake, Madawaska Lodge, Timmins Super 8, Auberge McDonald (Iroquois Falls), Tata Chika Pika (Gogama), Gowganda Lake Lodge, Dunlop Lake Loge, Windy Lake Motel, Valentine's B&B (Chapleau) and the aforementioned Auberge Inn. The people who own and/or operate these business are some of the best people you will ever meet and make serious contributions to our sport/recreation, not all of which are obvious. I still hope to get out one or more times, but if my season ends now, I can thank these people for a most enjoyable winter of sledding.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, tricky said:

An option to the "big 4" in NL is the Auberge Inn, directly across hwy 11 from Gilli's and the Econolodge. When we stayed there in February, on an OCer's recommendation (thank you), we had a good clean, renovated room with great new beds and good shower. Rates were very reasonable and I believe the place to be independently owned, but I could be wrong. Truck/trailer parking was not plentiful, but there was space out back for at least 4 combos.

As has been witnessed on the site this winter, not all of us are looking for the same thing in lodgings while we sled. Because of that, I am hesitant to make recommendations unless I know your 'style'. Nonetheless, I would like to give s big thumbs up the the following hosts who met or exceeded my expectations this winter: Mattawa Golf & Ski, Morning Mist Resort, The Dinner Bell, The Sands on Golden Lake, Madawaska Lodge, Timmins Super 8, Auberge McDonald (Iroquois Falls), Tata Chika Pika (Gogama), Gowganda Lake Lodge, Dunlop Lake Loge, Windy Lake Motel, Valentine's B&B (Chapleau) and the aforementioned Auberge Inn. The people who own and/or operate these business are some of the best people you will ever meet and make serious contributions to our sport/recreation, not all of which are obvious. I still hope to get out one or more times, but if my season ends now, I can thank these people for a most enjoyable winter of sledding.

Agreed.  All the places you mentioned are great spots. :right_on:

• Like 1

Thanks tricky. Been to most...and agree with your list

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Canuck said:

Thanks tricky. Been to most...and agree with your list

X2!

I know what you mean about people's needs. Some places aren't much better than rustic hunting camps, but if it's dark & you're not going to make your destination, any bed looks good.

• 3 years later...
20 minutes ago, blackjack1 said:

is that sill the only place in kirkland lake

No there are 2 or 3. Easiest to just Google New Liskeard accommodations.

• Like 1