Open water at tip of baeuseliel

Baylaker

My dad just sent me a text, 4 sledders just went through the ice at the tip of the island. Just a heads up

• Like 1

There is never much ice on the sand bar at the southern tip of the island. Folks go over it not understanding how thin it is. With warm weather during the week and then a bunch of snow on top last few days mainly a bucket of slush. Fortunately everyone is ok. There is a similar area like that at Pinery point kitty corner to that area which will have limited ice. In short if you are not familiar with an area don’t go. The fact that there may be other tracks doesn’t mean it’s good to go.......

• Like 1

Yes, those high winds were pretty intense up there. Sawlog bay rd, about 1-2kms up the road from my dad experienced 10’-12’ drifts. My dads place had 0 wind. Said the snow was falling straight down the entire time. Weird eh? 

The tip of Beausolei island is notorious for being open water. There is a shoal, which extends a good 200 ft out.  My buddy was there to see the rescue, he said the news is blowing it out of proportion, they were standing in 4ft of water. 

Regardless as the old saying goes, if you don't know, don't go. 

• Like 1