2021 Polaris Release

-crz-

28 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

The problem we had was people unnecessarily hoarding supplies, if our only source was Canada for goods we would really be up the creek.

?????????????????

30 minutes ago, Ox said:

Example?

We never experienced a supply issue.

17 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

We never experienced a supply issue.

:wtf:

3 hours ago, XTC500 said:

I agree. But do you think this will be enough of a wake up call for our politically correct politicians? As much as I detest Trump, for years now he understood that it doesn't make sense for absolutely everything we buy to be made in China. Maybe I've missed it, but I've never heard another politician in any other country admit it.

Buddy, our government has zero interest in any manufacturing of any kind if it results in one drop of pollution. The environment is more important than the people living in it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ox said:

Example?

Timely question given what's going on. Trump today has ordered 3M not to ship any  N95 medical masks to Canada. I don't think it will happen because 3M thinks its a bad idea but it is likely the tip of the iceberg with that idiot at the helm. 

Edited by PISTON LAKE CRUISER
  • Like 1

Oh.

Had no idea.

Canada produces enough milk for the country.

We produce enough beef and pork to export where ever possible.

Lots of corn, wheat, canola, oats, barley.

Fruit and vegetables are a problem in the winter.

Manufactured goods are a big problem since we have been forced to buy everything form abroad.  However, that could/would change if the need was there.  Price would be more expensive though.

6 hours ago, Spiderman said:

Buddy, our government has zero interest in any manufacturing of any kind if it results in one drop of pollution. The environment is more important than the people living in it.

Actually ford has been against carbon tax from day 1. Now he is saying we are going to manufacture more products in ontario, such as N96 masks (yes a step up from N95), face shields too, and bunch of other items that are in high demand at moment. It is a start in right direction no doubt and hopefully future holds more local manufacturing. My local supplier that I use all the time was able to supply with me 80 n95 masks a few weeks ago for our business. I always pay a tad more then buying online, but it is local people like him that can keep us farmers going during a crises like this. 

Here is a little video I saw on online, one my favourite sled shows to watch.

• Like 2

I guess I don't recall for sure which of the trade journals it was, but it seemed that they were singin' quite the praises for the new Pol's.

I'm guessin' that it was the RMK or SKS, or whatnot if I spent much time reading it (and it seemed to be over several models) but none-the-less, from that issue, and possibly some other mags as well, it seems that there is a glimmer of light in the tunnel for Polaris for the first time in quite a while.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Strong Farmer said:

Polaris ride command looks neat. 

it was really cool to try, the friends feature worked really well in January when we rode them in Minnesota.

31 minutes ago, Nunz said:

it was really cool to try, the friends feature worked really well in January when we rode them in Minnesota.

Just guessing at what this "Friends" thing is, but I would think that pretty handy - mostly for those groups that don't ever look back and don't mind getting spread out from here to Tuesday.

This was eye opening to me how some groups would ride the other day after we ended up taking the trail back out of Halfway, and we didn't hit speeds above 45 klicks for the most part as real long mountain sleds don't navigate the trails like the shorty's doo, so we got passed many times, and from the time that the guy running Point would pass, 'till the guy running Clean-Up finally came along - they may have been 5 miles apart!

This happened more than once.

I / we have NEVER ridden like that!

If you don't see the guy behind you in a straight-away, you need to slow down or even stop until either you see him - or you decide he's not there, and you go back and fetch him.

I guess with this gizmo - you know he's back there, that he is moving, and OK?

I still don't like it, but ....

Edited by Ox

I don't think the radio range would be very far in hilly terrain.  Unless each sled in the 5 mile chain is a repeater.

I didn't read up on it. How does it work?

FRS or some such?

Nunz i have a question. I understand you can have up to 10 friends on your screen showing the location of each. This would be good for a ride in Cochrane,Quebec when your on the big fast trails. My question is how does say the lead sled connect to the others sleds? Does it connect through an app on everyones phone? Do the other sleds have to be Polaris with this same technology?

1 hour ago, snowchopper said:

Nunz i have a question. I understand you can have up to 10 friends on your screen showing the location of each. This would be good for a ride in Cochrane,Quebec when your on the big fast trails. My question is how does say the lead sled connect to the others sleds? Does it connect through an app on everyones phone? Do the other sleds have to be Polaris with this same technology?

As it was explained to me and shown any Polaris sled equipped with the 7S display can be added to your friends and it’s all GPS tracked. In the case of a group where there is riders without it they can download the Ride Command App and bd added that way, however those will need a satellite signal in order to be tracked and displayed. I will definitely be playing around with it in the fall . I’ve used the current Ride Command Apo and really liked its tracking ability and to be able to save tracks which we did on a tour of Lake Muskoka a few weeks ago. 

Gps is receive only.  So somehow the coordinates of each sled must be transmitted to each other sled.  This would not be far without cell towers. The Garmin Rhino did this by Gmrs.  I doubt the signal would be reliable more than a km based on how my so called 65 km range Gmrs radios worked.

I would hope that it is walkie talkie type technology, and NOT be relying on cell service!

A fair amount of sledding is done outside the confines of the cities.  :eek:

Is there such thing as poltalk.com?

Edited by Ox

1 hour ago, Ox said:

I would hope that it is walkie talkie type technology, and NOT be relying on cell service!

A fair amount of sledding is done outside the confines of the cities.  :eek:

Is there such thing as poltalk.com?

I'm sure there is but you might get some lessons on pole dancing instead lol 

• Like 1

Pootalk.com has a lot of new parents on it. :-)

• Haha 3

16 hours ago, Big Pussy said:

Gps is receive only.  So somehow the coordinates of each sled must be transmitted to each other sled.  This would not be far without cell towers. The Garmin Rhino did this by Gmrs.  I doubt the signal would be reliable more than a km based on how my so called 65 km range Gmrs radios worked.

Don't quote me, but when I was looking into the Rhino thing, Canadian products were limited to 1 watt, where the US models kicked out 5 watts. 

No savvy consumers were buying the Canadian market product, opting to buy 'Stateside instead, and the Canadian buyers were VERY disappointed. 

Some years have passed so I may be a bit off here.

GMRS is limited to 2 watts in Canada.  Power does not make that much difference with the UHF frequencies used when in hilly terrain.  It's line of sight communication.

• 2 weeks later...

I could be wrong, but my understanding is the ride tracking between sleds is some sort of wireless link sled to sled.  Polaris is advertising 1 mile max between sleds.  But it will daisy chain jumping through a group as long as each sled is within a mile of the sled in front  of and behind it.  Same principal a lot of the communicators use.  So it works, but if you're the guy that rides without mirrors and takes off on your group chances are you will have issues when out of cell range (not sure if in cell range if it will communicate that way as well or not).  The unit does have GPS, but only to tell you where your sled is.  Not your group.  This is a neat concept, but the more I read the more it sounds like a frill vs an industry game changer.  My wife and I run communicators and find the same thing.  I rarely take off on her, but the odd time find a really great stretch of trail and choose to stretch the throttle.  When I hit that 1 mile mark between us the comm's start to break up making static noise which tells me time to slow down and wait.  This is probably the best that can be offered without having to have a subscription service.  It would be neat of they offered ride tracking through gps.  Even if it did costs some sort of seasonal subscription.  For those of us that ride alone time to time it would be a great option.  Save having to rely on SPOT or another similar solution.